ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Can we talk about panty hose?
Bob Dole 07:21 AM Today
I've read discussions around here that indicate there might be a generational divide between those of us who suffered but endured for 50 years, and our relative newcomers. I saw a post on FB earlier claiming that Raquel Welch auditioned for the Maryann character on Gilligan's Island, and the first reply to the photo attached was, "She's wearing panty hose"

When I was growing up, respectable women not wearing slacks wore panty hose. Hell, L'eggs and their packing and marketing probably made some people a fortune. Hane's was a huge brand. Panty hose were as mainstream as anything you could imagine. My professionally employed wife (married 1986) wore panty hose with her skirts every day, and as a dancer, she had pretty good gams. (Not that kind of dancer, perverts.)

I remember clearly the first professional woman I saw wearing a skirt and no hose, and I remember thinking, "What the fuck?" She was albino white, kind of bow legged, and her legs were not particularly attractive. I've since gotten used to it, but it's significant that I remember the moment

I'm just interested in the opinions and comments of others in this bubble, even though I expect the usual suspect's dismissive trolling. There was a change in our culture, and I'm just curious.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:24 AM Today
When I think of panty hose I think of grandmas. Never crossed my mind it was strange not to
[Reply]
Bob Dole 07:28 AM Today
Originally Posted by BWillie:
When I think of panty hose I think of grandmas. Never crossed my mind it was strange not to
That's kind of what I'm looking for as far as opinions. May I ask your age?
[Reply]
BWillie 07:29 AM Today
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
That's kind of what I'm looking for as far as opinions. May I ask your age?
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 07:33 AM Today
Joe Namath Panty Hose commercial comes to mind.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:33 AM Today
I definitely think they're declining in popularity rapidly. Hell, for some young Gen Zers, the question is more whether or even to shave their legs.
[Reply]
Spott Today, 07:33 AM
This message has been deleted by Spott. Reason: Decided to be nice
notorious 07:34 AM Today
When I think of panty hose, I think of Chiefaholic wearing one stretched over his wolf mask as he robbed the bank.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 07:40 AM Today
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I definitely think they're declining in popularity rapidly. Hell, for some young Gen Zers, the question is more whether or even to shave their legs.
I can't remember the last time I saw a woman wearing hose. I don't hold an opinion on way or the other. I just find it to be a cultural shift that hasn't been discussed much.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 07:40 AM Today
I don't know why they went away but I haven't seen them in forever. I kind of think hooker when I think of panty hose
[Reply]
Bob Dole 07:43 AM Today
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
I don't know why they went away but I haven't seen them in forever. I kind of think hooker when I think of panty hose
Which is exactly the opposite of the perception when I was a much younger man. Thanks for sharing that.
[Reply]
threebag 07:47 AM Today
If you have packages of unused from the 50s and 60s your sitting on a gold mine.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 07:50 AM Today
Originally Posted by threebag:
If you have packages of unused from the 50s and 60s your sitting on a gold mine.
I would think the silk ones prior to nylon would be where the money is.
[Reply]
notorious 07:57 AM Today
They were big in the 80s, after that I don’t think I ever saw them.

Didn’t they come in an egg?
[Reply]
Bwana 07:58 AM Today
I can't remember the last time I saw a woman wearing hose. I don't hold an opinion on way or the other. I just find it to be a cultural shift that hasn't been discussed much.

There were a couple of flight attendants sporting them (blue ones) on a flight I had from Chicago to Denver last week. You're right though, it is rare.
[Reply]
old_geezer 07:59 AM Today
I've read discussions around here that indicate there might be a generational divide between those of us who suffered but endured for 50 years, and our relative newcomers. I saw a post on FB earlier claiming that Raquel Welch auditioned for the Maryann character on Gilligan's Island, and the first reply to the photo attached was, "She's wearing panty hose"

When I was growing up, respectable women not wearing slacks wore panty hose. Hell, L'eggs and their packing and marketing probably made some people a fortune. Hane's was a huge brand. Panty hose were as mainstream as anything you could imagine. My professionally employed wife (married 1986) wore panty hose with her skirts every day, and as a dancer, she had pretty good gams. (Not that kind of dancer, perverts.)

I remember clearly the first professional woman I saw wearing a skirt and no hose, and I remember thinking, "What the ****?" She was albino white, kind of bow legged, and her legs were not particularly attractive. I've since gotten used to it, but it's significant that I remember the moment

I'm just interested in the opinions and comments of others in this bubble, even though I expect the usual suspect's dismissive trolling. There was a change in our culture, and I'm just curious.
Hell, when I was growing up "respectable" women didn't wear slacks.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up