ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Conspiracy Theroy: Mahomes is the most bailed out QB
DenverChief 04:04 AM Yesterday
Fascinating stats and the real result is :-)

To start, this stat has no denominator. The player we would expect to lead the league in interceptions overturned by penalties since the start of 2018 is the guy who has thrown the most passes of any kind over that timeframe: Patrick Mahomes, with 3,608 pass attempts.

— Bill Barnwell (@billbarnwell) September 18, 2024

Jared Goff (3,508) is the only QB within 300 attempts. Because he's thrown more than anyone, Mahomes leads since 2018 in lots of things, like passes completed for exactly 13 yards (96) or yards on slants (1,215). So it's no surprise that he leads the league in overturned INTs.

After that play in the Bengals game, this stat was used to further the idea that Mahomes is being bailed out for bad passes by referees. The problem is that there's a penalty which wipes off a lot of interceptions that has nothing to do with referee judgment calls: Offsides.

Eight of those 17 interceptions were plays where a defender went offsides and Mahomes threw the ball up on a free play. Those obviously aren't bailout calls. (Furthermore, the most famous offsides call last year was on ... then-Chiefs player Kadarius Toney.)

One of the 17 didn't actually wipe off an interception - Matt Judon was flagged for unnecessary roughness during a return, and the Ravens still took possession of the football, which leaves 16 picks. (It's possible I'm missing one, but the stat in the tweet isn't sourced at all.)

So that leaves eight overturned interceptions we can ascribe to plays that involve referee judgment calls (DPI, roughing the passer, illegal contact, etc). Including the interceptions, that's about one for every 452 passes Mahomes has thrown since 2018.

It's one of the higher rates I can find, but there's one quarterback who has a higher rate of interceptions overturned by plays that involve a referee's discretion since 2018, and it isn't going to help Bengals fans who are worried about a conspiracy against them.

Joe Burrow has had eight interceptions overturned by penalties since joining the league (two offsides, four DPI, an illegal use of hands, and a defensive holding.) That's six judgment calls across 1,966 pass attempts, or one every 327.7 attempts.

In other words, Mahomes wasn't even the quarterback who had been bailed out by judgment calls from referees most often in the game he was playing on Sunday, let alone league-wide.

[Reply]
Womble 04:06 AM Yesterday
Conspiracy theory: Fans of other teams are butthurt that they do not have Patrick Mahomes as their QB.
[Reply]
DenverChief 04:07 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Womble:
Conspiracy theory: Fans of other teams are butthurt that they do not have Patrick Mahomes as their QB.
Butt that’s not conspiracy that’s factual truth :-)
[Reply]
Red Dawg 04:28 AM Yesterday
crazy.. Burrow is the one the refs love.
[Reply]
Rausch 05:10 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by DenverChief:
Butt that’s not conspiracy that’s factual truth :-)
Imagine that we live in a reality where our QB is so fucking good the average person doesn't believe it's even possible without NFL help.
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:11 AM Yesterday
It's so nice to be on this side of the other fans hate. :-)

In all honesty, I feel like Mahomes doesn't get enough calls. Especially on the late hits.

But after watching the Dallas/Saints and Baltimore/Vegas games last Sunday I have decided the officiating is either deplorable or the proliferation of gambling might be having some influence.
[Reply]
PatMahomesIsGod 05:47 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by HemiEd:

In all honesty, I feel like Mahomes doesn't get enough calls. Especially on the late hits.

But after watching the Dallas/Saints and Baltimore/Vegas games last Sunday I have decided the officiating is either deplorable or the proliferation of gambling might be having some influence.
Why not both?
[Reply]
RedinTexas 05:50 AM Yesterday
If the Chiefs led the league in receiving the most inexplicably dumb calls made by the referees against us, nobody would care except us.
[Reply]
SHOWTIME 05:57 AM Yesterday
The most important question - were these flags thrown after the INT was made or when the ball was either in Mahomes' hand or still in the air? In the case of offsides, the flag is usually thrown immediately, for example.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 05:57 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by HemiEd:

Which one was the game where the one guy punched another player (who was just standing on the sidelines) and no flag was thrown? BAL/LV?
[Reply]
KC_Connection 05:59 AM Yesterday
Mahomes is easily the best QB ever at recognizing he has a free play and making use of it/taking more risk. Even better than Rodgers.
[Reply]
Buehler445 Yesterday, 06:02 AM
This message has been deleted by Buehler445. Reason: Buehler445 is a moron.
Indian Chief 06:08 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Barnwell is a Brotherfucking Cheatriot Fuckbag, no?

Mahomes off to a 2-0 start on a 3 peat try that Kid kissing Brady never did and Brotherfucking Cheatriot Fuckbag gets his panties in a bunch?

Shocked. Shocked I tell you.
I...um...did you read the OP?
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:16 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
I...um...did you read the OP?
Heh. I did not. Nevermind. I just remembered Barnwell doing some Brotherfucking Cheatriot Fuckbag shit, and assumed.

Fully retract my statement.

That being said, fuck all things Brotherfucking Cheatriot Fuckbag.

EDIT: Quality work by Barnwell there. Credit where it's due.
[Reply]
digger 06:25 AM Yesterday

[Reply]
ThaVirus 06:30 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Mahomes is easily the best QB ever at recognizing he has a free play and making use of it/taking more risk. Even better than Rodgers.
I’ve always thought it was Rodgers. Do you have the numbers?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up