ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>This seems to explain Mahomes happy feet
RunKC 12:59 PM Yesterday
OL got absolutely wrecked the first 3 drives. Patrick probably felt like he had to get rid for he ball quickly or scramble the rest of the game bc of the early OL play.

1st play: Wants to take a deep shot to start the game, gears up, about to unleash, and has an OL in his lap and can't follow through. Has to pull the ball down and dump it off. pic.twitter.com/DwqvMh4h3Q

— Mitchell Schwartz (@MitchSchwartz71) October 1, 2024

3rd play: Can't step into the throw because and OL is being pushed into his follow through area and has to throw it flat footed to Kelce. Incredible throw. Catching a theme here yet? pic.twitter.com/QWTmg46LKD

5th play: Immediate read not open, left side of the OL starts getting collapsed into him, finds his RB on the check down but the ball gets tipped by a DL. pic.twitter.com/fg66gFFFnk

7th play: Nice pocket, ball out on time, hits the WR in the hands on 3rd down for a dropped pass. pic.twitter.com/9vUVTY8zbV

9th play: Stunts going on but a cleaner pocket than it seems from the back view. Doesn't matter, ball out and ripped to the WR for a completion. pic.twitter.com/nNZFaP4YB5

11th play: Defense wins the rep, gets a free rusher for a quick sack. pic.twitter.com/3pwQeLXykT

13th play: Hits the top of his drop, already has to slide left, hits the TE down the middle while another DL gets hands on him after the throw. pic.twitter.com/IHsNKMZRCP

15th play: Clean pocket, drifts slightly left towards his throw and completes the pass. pic.twitter.com/8UodoeN8k4

17th play: FIRST time all game he's gotten "happy feet" or bailed from a clean pocket. Feels the stunts and games and makes a run for it. Should've stayed in the pocket. pic.twitter.com/mGinhozWgH

Ok, so do we understand now? Every clean pocket except for the INT was a nice play and completed pass. He had people in his face from the get go, and the pocket was continually getting collapsed into him. Despite that he still completed a lot of those passes early on.

By my eye the OL has not allowed Pat to feel clean pockets with regularity most of the year. It started late in the 2nd quarter of the Baltimore game and has mostly continued through this game. For whatever reason the protection hasn't been quite as good.

That will need to change, and quick, because of the injuries to the WR position and changes there. But I wanted to do this to show that what we do up front is usually the biggest difference in every game, regardless of who's throwing and who's catching. It's still an OL league.

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:03 PM Yesterday
Kelce alligator armed that ball.
[Reply]
DRM08 01:08 PM Yesterday
Just need some more weeks/months for Mahomes to get comfortable with the new guys at Left Tackle. This happened in 2021 with Orlando Brown. By the end of 2021 season, Mahomes was a lot more comfortable with Orlando. Same thing in 2023 with Donovan Smith. Hopefully Wanya or Kingsley can be more of a long-term option instead of the Band-Aid situation we've seen at the LT position the last few years.
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:11 PM Yesterday
It wasn't the best day for the oline in general on Sunday
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:13 PM Yesterday
I was just about to post this. I feel better about my QB now, but worse about our OL.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:15 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
He probably didn't think the ball was meant for him with it being so high.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:33 PM Yesterday
Yeah - the OL was getting pushed back a bit more than expected on Sunday, especially in the 1st quarter.

It was almost as though they weren't prepared for power rushing. Because they weren't getting fooled or beat by moves/counter moves. They were just getting shoved backwards.

They got out-muscled early in the game. One of those things where you just wonder if they came out flat. And it was largely an issue across the board. Powerful guys like Smith weren't holding their ground very well.

It was pretty strange to see. I don't expect it to be an ongoing issue but we do need to remember that Creed and Thuney are finesse guys more than power guys. Taylor largely gets by in pass pro with athleticism as well.

Smith and Morris are the only real 'power' pass blockers we have and neither of them really covered themselves in glory Sunday.

So I say again, the RPO game may really help us out a bit. Those are power block sets from the OL because they're set up for a potential run. And yeah, you're not gonna get many downfield shots with RPOs but you're gonna at least slow those pass-rushers a bit.

If you show more of those, you're gonna get guys less likely to just go blasting upfield into your OL like that. Because man, we can't have guys just getting shoved around.
[Reply]
Molitoth 01:41 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I was just about to post this. I feel better about my QB now, but worse about our OL.
When it comes to Mahomes = he good.
[Reply]
C-Mac 01:43 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Yes he did.

Was thinking he thought at the last second that Worthy was going to get it and pulled back.

Definitely seen him do that same reaction before for that reason.

No way he pulls down if he knows the defender is right there.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:43 PM Yesterday
I don’t understand why Andy is not calling the quick hitting plays in the intermediate level of the field? Use 12 personnel. Get Worthy involved.

Good grief
[Reply]
seamonster 01:51 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by DaFace:
He probably didn't think the ball was meant for him with it being so high.
It was high but there couldn't have been any other Chief in that area. Kelce's role was to either suck in the safety to leave (Worthy?) one-on-one deep or if the safety drops to take a high throw (Mahomes has to throw the ball over the coverage). The problem with that play is that Mahomes throws it to kelce when the safety bit and went to cover Kelce and Kelce wasn't about to take a shot to his ribs like that week 4 (winds up getting hit anyways).
[Reply]
Mecca 01:52 PM Yesterday
Hopefully Jared Wiley can get up to speed at some point, he provides a mismatch opportunity if he's on the field.
[Reply]
SHOWTIME 02:02 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I don’t understand why Andy is not calling the quick hitting plays in the intermediate level of the field? Use 12 personnel. Get Worthy involved.

Good grief
Matt Nagy
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:08 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME:
Matt Nagy
Wait.

So Matt Nagy is now the reason we AREN'T throwing fast/short routes?

2 weeks ago I thought he'd turned PM into Alex Smith?

I'm really confused now.
[Reply]
St. Patty's Fire 02:16 PM Yesterday
The ol has been a problem

the bengals, who have no pass rush to speak of outside of one dude, were destroying u up front. the chargers sans joey boss was giving us problems. the ol needs to be better. we have one dude who’s supposed to be a “weak” spot. the rest should be playing better
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up