ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 94 of 186
« First < 44849091929394 95969798104144 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The George Karlaftis Thread*****
Dante84 09:16 PM 04-28-2022
More to come!

What are the #Chiefs getting in George Karlaftis?

Had an NFC Personnel executive tell me “He reminds me of J.J. Watt, when Watt was coming out. An explosive and versatile playmaker who has a high motor and can line up at 3,5, or 7. Very strong kid” #NFL #NFLDraft pic.twitter.com/5qM3g6OrMr

— Matt Lombardo (@MattLombardoNFL) April 29, 2022

George Karlaftis was drafted with pick 30 of round 1 in the 2022 draft class. He scored a 9.23 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 116 out of 1503 DE from 1987 to 2022. https://t.co/iXXBvnoFJc #RAS #Chiefs pic.twitter.com/eZ9XjNRDUB

— Kent Lee Platte (@MathBomb) April 29, 2022

“I was sitting there the whole night hoping we’d be able to get you.”

Karlaftis gets the call �� pic.twitter.com/DRGBDekvnl

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) April 29, 2022

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:54 PM 10-12-2022
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Yeah, but their football program isn't 'big.' I never really cared about a school's student population when talking about football. Because it's not important to any football discussion. It's always been about how big their program is, for me. Do they "compete" against the best programs. And by compete, i mean more than just take the field. Like have a legit chance to win most Saturdays. Which they don't.

Purdue doesn't fall into that category, at least recently. They've been a middling program No one is going to argue that Purdue is probably going to even cover the spread vs. OSU, Michigan, PS, or most of the other teams in the Big 10.

In that respect, a football-only perspective, they're not a big program.
They're not Arkansas State, man. That's a Power 5 school that's produced quality players like Ryan Kerrigan, Cliff Avril, Ja'Whuan Bentley, Mike Neal and Ricardo Allen over the last decade. In fact they've been known as one of the better DL schools this century. They went 9-4 last season and beat Tennessee in their bowl game.

No, they aren't Alabama. But they're not some pisswater school where guys don't get coached up. Purdue is a quality program with a good coach. I don't see citing Purdue as some sort of handicap as being a useful exercise here.

I'd probably pull the ejection handle on this one, but your mileage may vary...
[Reply]
raybec 4 04:30 PM 10-12-2022
Yeah, but their football program isn't 'big.' I never really cared about a school's student population when talking about football. Because it's not important to any football discussion. It's always been about how big their program is, for me. Do they "compete" against the best programs. And by compete, i mean more than just take the field. Like have a legit chance to win most Saturdays. Which they don't.

Purdue doesn't fall into that category, at least recently. They've been a middling program No one is going to argue that Purdue is probably going to even cover the spread vs. OSU, Michigan, PS, or most of the other teams in the Big 10.

In that respect, a football-only perspective, they're not a big program.
It seems that there are maybe only a half dozen schools that would meet your standard for "big". I believe if they are playing in the power 5 they are a big school. They compete against the absolute best in college football. That's where the true measuring stick is for big or small IMO. Level of competition and their performance against that competition.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:14 PM 10-12-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
It seems that there are maybe only a half dozen schools that would meet your standard for "big". I believe if they are playing in the power 5 they are a big school. They compete against the absolute best in college football. That's where the true measuring stick is for big or small IMO. Level of competition and their performance against that competition.
I'm not saying they're a bad program. And yes they've produced some quality NFL defensive players, no question. All I'm saying is that they might be in the power 5, but they ain't OU, OSU, or whoever. They're on the outside looking in at those teams, yes?

And they don't win much, do they. Well, except last year, 9-4. And beat some decent teams, iirc.

But mostly they're a middle of the road team, most years. They've had just two winning seasons in the last ten, and they've been smoked by some pretty unimpressive teams in the process. in those terms, they haven't really competed, if they got the brakes beat off them, did they?

The only thing that puts a hole in my argument is the fact that PUR has beaten some ranked teams recently, particularly last season, when they beat Iowa (23), and Mich St. (9). But they also got smoked by teams like Wisconsin (27?).

Hell, it's not an indictment. My Sooners have always had a relatively big student body, but they went a stretch of years where they were mostly insignificant as a football team. More recently they've been in the conversation nationally, but there was a period of more than a decade after Switzer left for the NFL when they weren't.

But if you want to base it on the student body, okay, go ahead. Imo, the number of students shouldn't really have anything to do with the football team's success or how anyone ranks their football team, but okay.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:35 PM 10-13-2022
With McDuffie being injured or not 100% when he does comeback Yogurt needs to start stepping up and produce more "splash" plays instead of this middling roleplayer shit. It's been 5 games George start making impact plays like a 1st rounder should
[Reply]
RunKC 01:20 PM 10-14-2022
Impressive for a rookie just completing his first month of games in the NFL

Interesting

D-line prospects dominated this year's draft class. They're living up to the hype.

Top rookie pass-rushers through five weeks of play...

1. Aidan Hutchinson: 15 pressures (per PFF)
2. George Karlaftis: 14
3. Travon Walker: 9
... Kayvon Thibodeaux: 9
... Arnold Ebiketie:: 9

— Brent Sobleski (@brentsobleski) October 12, 2022

Most QB pressures this season, via @PFF

Nick Bosa - 31
Micah Parsons - 28
Brian Burns - 24
Maxx Crosby - 22
Trey Hendrickson - 22
Matt Judon - 22
DeMarcus Lawrence - 22
Aaron Donald - 22

— NFL Stats (@NFL_Stats) October 12, 2022

[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:24 PM 10-14-2022
:-) PFF just can't help but shoot themselves in the foot with that. They routinely have him marked as barely replacement level yet all the stats they put out have him as at the very least a decent level starter.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 01:26 PM 10-14-2022
Just fucking great. We burn a first on him and find out hes only half a bosa from some tweets. Fuck me in the fucking ass.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:35 PM 10-14-2022
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
Just fucking great. We burn a first on him and find out hes only half a bosa from some tweets. Fuck me in the fucking ass.
You know that Bosa, actually both Bosa's, heck both Watts, are generational mutant freaks, right? They don't grow on trees, my man.

George is better than every rookie EDGE but one, and better than a lot of veteran starters, including pretty much every EDGE we currently have on the team.

We didn't 'burn a 1st' on some JAG. We got a high value player that has a lot of upside.

Considering where we drafted him, and where generational DEs usually get drafted, we did pretty well, imo.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:21 PM 10-14-2022
You know that Bosa, actually both Bosa's, heck both Watts, are generational mutant freaks, right? They don't grow on trees, my man.

George is better than every rookie EDGE but one, and better than a lot of veteran starters, including pretty much every EDGE we currently have on the team.

We didn't 'burn a 1st' on some JAG. We got a high value player that has a lot of upside.

Considering where we drafted him, and where generational DEs usually get drafted, we did pretty well, imo.
I really liked the pick, still do. This'll win me no friends BUT, I think Karlaftis has been our most disappointing rookie. He's been fine and I wasn't expecting the same ridiculous "he'll break the rookie sack record" outcome as occasionally predicted. But I've been a bit surprised at how often he's been walled off or washed out miles from the action on run plays. I really thought he'd kill there from day one even if the pass-rush took some time. The play he made against the Bucs where he knifed through for a tackle for loss was the sort of play I imagined him making a LOT. Just hasn't happened yet.

Entirely accept that my expectations were probably still a little high for him in his 1st year, and also that it's comparing him to what I've seen from the rest of the rookie class. He'll come good I'm sure.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:40 PM 10-14-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
I really liked the pick, still do. This'll win me no friends BUT, I think Karlaftis has been our most disappointing rookie. He's been fine and I wasn't expecting the same ridiculous "he'll break the rookie sack record" outcome as occasionally predicted. But I've been a bit surprised at how often he's been walled off or washed out miles from the action on run plays. I really thought he'd kill there from day one even if the pass-rush took some time. The play he made against the Bucs where he knifed through for a tackle for loss was the sort of play I imagined him making a LOT. Just hasn't happened yet.

Entirely accept that my expectations were probably still a little high for him in his 1st year, and also that it's comparing him to what I've seen from the rest of the rookie class. He'll come good I'm sure.
Man, for me, I just want to see rookies get significant playing time. Karlaftis is our 2nd most-used defensive lineman (after Clark) and I think that says something.

And speaking of availability, I'd have to say McDuffie is the most disappointing so far, through no fault of his own. You always want to see your 1st rounders play.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:44 PM 10-14-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:

There's still 12 games left; he could still break out. I kind of think he will, based on who KC plays the latter half of the season. Also, Cullen is still probably moving pieces around, seeing who can do what (and what they can't), so part of George's lack of production probably has a lot to do with Cullen gathering info, so to speak.

And I predicted 7-10 sacks for Karlaftis during preseason, so I'm with you there. I still think he can get 7+ sacks. And remember, one thing that hasn't helped our DL is the fact that our secondary is young and inexperienced in Spags system, so QBs have been able to find open receivers before our DL can beat their blocks.

As the secondary improves, QBs will have to hang onto the ball a little longer, and George will probably start having more of an impact. My guess anyway.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:46 PM 10-14-2022
Kind of felt like he was about to break out against the Raiders early on, but then when Wharton and Clark went out they were playing him inside.

I think the kid is obviously still learning and adjusting, and the thing about him is that you have full confidence in him making improvements. Especially year to year.

The fact that he has more pressures than Walker and Thibodeaux, while being just behind Hutchinson, makes it hard to use the word "disappointing".

The pressure is there, the sacks should come, and it will feel better when they do.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:49 PM 10-14-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Kind of felt like he was about to break out against the Raiders early on, but then when Wharton and Clark went out they were playing him inside.
Yeah I've felt that a few times. I don't think it's miles off. I think if/when we get something passable on the other side it's going to help. Hopefully with Danna back it's this week.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:51 PM 10-14-2022

I think the kid is obviously still learning and adjusting, and the thing about him is that you have full confidence in him making improvements. Especially year to year.

The fact that he has more pressures than Walker and Thibodeaux, while being just behind Hutchinson, makes it hard to use the word "disappointing".

The pressure is there, the sacks should come, and it will feel better when they do.
I watched the all 22 again this morning and sat there during the 2nd half thinking "how can I even evaluate his play" - they were playing him inside so much with Jones outside, WTF was that?
[Reply]
JPH83 02:52 PM 10-14-2022

I think this is it. If he stays healthy I've no doubt he maximises his talent. Maybe that ends up being less than I'd expected but I feel confident he keeps improving. Maybe not this year, you've just got to cling on as a rookie, but as you say year to year.
[Reply]
Page 94 of 186
« First < 44849091929394 95969798104144 > Last »
Up