Page 78 of 940
« First < 28687475767778 7980818288128178578 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:25 AM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by philfree:
What about buying and selling some beef? What kind of money can a person make doing that?
Like the physical or on the futures? I wouldn't put any positions on the futures with money you ever care about seeing again. You can make a mint or get you ass handed to you.
[Reply]
philfree 08:30 AM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Like the physical or on the futures? I wouldn't put any positions on the futures with money you ever care about seeing again. You can make a mint or get you ass handed to you.
I mean the critters.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:07 AM 07-27-2017
I mean the critters.
You thinking cow calf, feeding out, brokering?

My understanding is you could hedge in a profit at the feedyards a month ago.
[Reply]
philfree 09:16 AM 07-27-2017
You thinking cow calf, feeding out, brokering?

My understanding is you could hedge in a profit at the feedyards a month ago.
It would be all new to me so I'm not really sure. My initial thought would be to buy some calfs let them grow up and then sell them for a profit.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 10:05 AM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by Cornstock:
Who are you using for your brokerage?

I'd save up a couple hundred and then buy an etf rather than a mutual fund. They are cheaper to own, the biggest difference is that they are managed by a computer rather than a person so they don't have to forward that cost to you, but they hold the same stocks.

Start with something simple like an S&P indexed fund, they are companies that you've heard of. In that vein, you can pick larger or smaller companies (small cap, mid cap, large cap). Theoretically, small cap has the highest growth potential while large cap will perform whatever the general economy is doing.

Vanguard is what I have now. I already put in 70 dollars and I haven't recieved my trophy wife yet.
[Reply]
ghak99 10:09 AM 07-27-2017
It would be all new to me so I'm not really sure. My initial thought would be to buy some calfs let them grow up and then sell them for a profit.
Are you looking for a small or large gamble?

If you're brave, I will need 80 more head of 7wts to finish out a set of pens this fall. Have a ~$2k frozen genetics gamble getting ready to happen in a month or so for the less insane. A partner to share making a little money along the way or losing our ass together on one of the big rides always makes the resulting drinking a little more entertaining. :-)
[Reply]
philfree 10:13 AM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Are you looking for a small or large gamble?

If you're brave, I will need 80 more head of 7wts to finish out a set of pens this fall. Have a ~$2k frozen genetics gamble getting ready to happen in a month or so for the less insane. A partner to share making a little money along the way or losing our ass together on one of the big rides always makes the resulting drinking a little more entertaining. :-)
How much a head?
[Reply]
ghak99 10:53 AM 07-27-2017
How much a head?
7wts sold for around $1k/hd yesterday at a local sale.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 10:58 AM 07-27-2017
I like Cows, they're easy.
[Reply]
philfree 11:43 AM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by ghak99:
7wts sold for around $1k/hd yesterday at a local sale.
I'm a green horn in regards to the cattle industry. 7wts is a measurement of weight?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:23 PM 07-27-2017
(BZ Newswire) -- United States Steel Corporation (NYSE: X) has "brighter days ahead," including a nearly doubling of its stock price, according to analysts at JPMorgan. The firm's Michael Gambardella maintains an Overweight rating on U.S. Steel's stock with a price target boosted from $46 to $51 after the company reported its second-quarter results. As part of U.S. Steel's earnings report, management maintained its 2017 EBITDA guidance of $1.1 billion even though it is now assuming a lower HRC (hot rolled coil) price of $612/t versus $644/t when the guidance was first given in April, Gambardella continued. This is due to the improved operational performance of the company's assets and expectations for flat rolled costs prices to remain under control. U.S. Steel also remains optimistic it will see a positive outcome from Section 232, which will have a "sufficient duration" and reduce imports of steels. In the meantime, the entire domestic steel industry has the support of President Donald Trump's administration. Finally, the company reassured investors when it confirmed that building an EAF at Fairfield is a question of when, not if and that it could restart the Granite City blast furnace in a 10-week span, the analyst also noted. Bottom line, the analyst's bullish stance is based on his confidence of ongoing support from the White house and U.S. Steel's current investments will "lead to stronger earnings power ahead.

Currently at $25
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:23 PM 07-27-2017
I'm a green horn in regards to the cattle industry. 7wts is a measurement of weight?
700 lb varmint
[Reply]
DaFace 12:28 PM 07-27-2017
It's not anything new if you already have read up on index fund investing, but here's an interesting podcast about it.

Freakonomics - The Stupidest Thing You Can Do With Your Money

The main points:
[Reply]
Amnorix 12:41 PM 07-27-2017
700 lb varmint

Not to be a total dick, but if you know that little about the industry, why in the world would you invest in it?

I dont' know any more than you do, which tells me I shouldn't go there unless I was investing in a PERSON(S) that I totally trusted and thought was very smart, so we could BOTH make money.
[Reply]
blake5676 12:44 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
(BZ Newswire) -- United States Steel Corporation (NYSE: X) has "brighter days ahead," including a nearly doubling of its stock price, according to analysts at JPMorgan. The firm's Michael Gambardella maintains an Overweight rating on U.S. Steel's stock with a price target boosted from $46 to $51 after the company reported its second-quarter results. As part of U.S. Steel's earnings report, management maintained its 2017 EBITDA guidance of $1.1 billion even though it is now assuming a lower HRC (hot rolled coil) price of $612/t versus $644/t when the guidance was first given in April, Gambardella continued. This is due to the improved operational performance of the company's assets and expectations for flat rolled costs prices to remain under control. U.S. Steel also remains optimistic it will see a positive outcome from Section 232, which will have a "sufficient duration" and reduce imports of steels. In the meantime, the entire domestic steel industry has the support of President Donald Trump's administration. Finally, the company reassured investors when it confirmed that building an EAF at Fairfield is a question of when, not if and that it could restart the Granite City blast furnace in a 10-week span, the analyst also noted. Bottom line, the analyst's bullish stance is based on his confidence of ongoing support from the White house and U.S. Steel's current investments will "lead to stronger earnings power ahead.

Currently at $25
I've been kinda kicking myself over the past month for not getting in on X when it bottomed out. I was hesitant to pull the trigger as they had nothing but crap news for a good 3-4 weeks straight. I think it got down close to $18 or so. Anyhow, I've been watching and it's slowly coming back up. Might go ahead and pull the trigger still...
[Reply]
Page 78 of 940
« First < 28687475767778 7980818288128178578 > Last »
Up