ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 63 of 82
« First < 13535960616263 6465666773 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tourist(s) missing in submarine while trying to reach the Titannic
Ming the Merciless 10:45 AM 06-19-2023
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-coa...-sub-1.6446841

Originally Posted by :
A search and rescue operation is currently underway to locate a submarine that went missing during an expedition to the Titanic.
The U.S. Coast Guard was looking for the submarine Monday morning after it disappeared during the expedition from St. John's, N.L. The infamous 1912 wreck is located more than 600 kilometres southeast of the province in the North Atlantic Ocean.
The trip to the Titanic was being run by OceanGate Expeditions, a U.S.-based company. It uses a five-person submersible named Titan to reach the wreckage 3,800 metres below the surface. OceanGate's website advertises a seven-night voyage to the Titanic for US$250,000 per person, or approximately CA$330,000.
"We are exploring and mobilizing all options to bring the crew back safely," an OceanGate spokesperson said in an email to CTV News. "Our entire focus is on the crewmembers in the submersible and their families."

Those tours are a series of five eight-day missions to the Titanic with the money raised by tourists going towards Titanic research. Posts on social media show the ship launched from the St. John's area last week.

Did they really have 5 people in this?? Or do they have a larger version??

[Reply]
Kman34 11:29 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
This is a good Epitaph for this thread.

Typical asshole who thinks he’s smarter than everyone else.. Not so smart now…
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:29 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by jettio:
So, did you qualify as ship's diver or did you take up diving later?

I was ship's diver, but have not done a lot since.
Ship's diver. It was awesome, I knew where I'd be during maneuvering watches... And I've spent more than a little time in ballast tanks (that was always fun!) :-)

Coming out of Groton on February mornings sort of sucked (was on the Billfish then), but once we moved to Charleston life was awesome.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:30 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by KC Dan:
I served on 688's and SSBN's but also on Submarine NR-1 (Rickover's baby -Nuclear Research 1) which went well beyond those depths. It had viewing ports, manipulator arm, Tines and basket. A million times different from a fast attack or boomer sub. Interesting, scary and exciting all wrapped up in a 135 ft, tiny reactor, four thrusters, a 12 person underway crew submarine with alcohol filled wheels...
That had to be a blast. SOOOOOO cool...
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:31 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by jettio:
Wow, you have to be top notch to serve on NR-1. I actually was wondering if it could be used to help in this situation, but considering that the implosion was picked up on Sunday, I was suppose US Navy knew the score right away.
Truth...
[Reply]
Kiimo 11:38 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by Kman34:
Typical asshole who thinks he’s smarter than everyone else.. Not so smart now…
Seems like he got his wish.

I mean, it's the monkey paw curling wish but still
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 11:40 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
I get what you are saying, but maybe some fucking common sense should apply as well? There are a lot of things you can do to feel alive and press the limits. Jumping into a drainage pipe and sinking to the bottom of the ocean just seems like...an unnecessary risk. :-)
Exactly
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 11:41 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by Monticore:
The one guy had been into space/low of it and visited the Mariana Trench you would think he could has seen this outfit as somewhat a Mickey Mouse operation the guy dealt with Airplanes for a living and Carbon Fibre aspect didn’t scare him seems weird.
Makes no sense...this CEO must've been a hell of a sales man
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:02 PM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
The more and more I read about Rush + OceanGate, the more and more I wonder if he truly was being innovative or insane.

This is ****ing stupid:

https://www.travelweekly.com/North-A...Titanic-Part-2
This article made me look up more about the guy's biography. He had the same degree that I did (aerospace engineering) at almost the same time, went to the same company that I did after graduating (McDonnell Douglas), and worked on the same airplane (F-15).

This is making me re-think the deep-sea submersible that I've been building from Home Depot plastic shelving in my garage.
[Reply]
jdubya 12:12 PM 06-23-2023
I dont mind folks like this pushing the envelope in the name of innovation. The world needs people like this. However when one risks the lives of others under false pretenses, thats a different story.
[Reply]
ghak99 12:13 PM 06-23-2023
The biographies of all three are quite interesting.

I'm amazed at the amount of Titanic artifacts one of them has apparently been a part of bringing up in the past.
[Reply]
Pablo 12:13 PM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

This is making me re-think the deep-sea submersible that I've been building from Home Depot plastic shelving in my garage.
No doubt just as well thought out and sturdy as the sub
[Reply]
ghak99 12:14 PM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by jdubya:
I dont mind folks like this pushing the envelope in the name of innovation. The world needs people like this. However when one risks the lives of others under false pretenses, thats a different story.
What are the false pretenses?
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:24 PM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
This article made me look up more about the guy's biography. He had the same degree that I did (aerospace engineering) at almost the same time, went to the same company that I did after graduating (McDonnell Douglas), and worked on the same airplane (F-15).

You just get sexier and sexier RM
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:29 PM 06-23-2023

Not sure about this one. The lighting, angle, and shading is slightly different. But in a more general sense, what is a photo of the same object supposed to look like? Don't tourists usually recreate iconic photos so people they show it to instantly recognize where they went?

— Reasonably Radical Rants (@Austin_G_Wilson) June 22, 2023

[Reply]
Radar Chief 12:37 PM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by KC Dan:
I served on 688's and SSBN's but also on Submarine NR-1 (Rickover's baby -Nuclear Research 1) which went well beyond those depths. It had viewing ports, manipulator arm, Tines and basket. A million times different from a fast attack or boomer sub. Interesting, scary and exciting all wrapped up in a 135 ft, tiny reactor, four thrusters, a 12 person underway crew submarine with alcohol filled wheels...
Well that's a weird place to store your rum.
[Reply]
Page 63 of 82
« First < 13535960616263 6465666773 > Last »
Up