ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 61 of 82
« First < 11515758596061 6263646571 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tourist(s) missing in submarine while trying to reach the Titannic
Ming the Merciless 10:45 AM 06-19-2023
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-coa...-sub-1.6446841

Originally Posted by :
A search and rescue operation is currently underway to locate a submarine that went missing during an expedition to the Titanic.
The U.S. Coast Guard was looking for the submarine Monday morning after it disappeared during the expedition from St. John's, N.L. The infamous 1912 wreck is located more than 600 kilometres southeast of the province in the North Atlantic Ocean.
The trip to the Titanic was being run by OceanGate Expeditions, a U.S.-based company. It uses a five-person submersible named Titan to reach the wreckage 3,800 metres below the surface. OceanGate's website advertises a seven-night voyage to the Titanic for US$250,000 per person, or approximately CA$330,000.
"We are exploring and mobilizing all options to bring the crew back safely," an OceanGate spokesperson said in an email to CTV News. "Our entire focus is on the crewmembers in the submersible and their families."

Those tours are a series of five eight-day missions to the Titanic with the money raised by tourists going towards Titanic research. Posts on social media show the ship launched from the St. John's area last week.

Did they really have 5 people in this?? Or do they have a larger version??

[Reply]
ChiTown 08:37 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Some people sit on the couch and watch. Some people want to lay their nuts on the mountain top. Some would say only one of the two have actually lived.

For me, people with the means and no desire to push the envelope of their choice are the most disappointing part of society.
I get what you are saying, but maybe some fucking common sense should apply as well? There are a lot of things you can do to feel alive and press the limits. Jumping into a drainage pipe and sinking to the bottom of the ocean just seems like...an unnecessary risk. :-)
[Reply]
Monticore 08:52 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
The kid is the only one I feel bad for. These guys were rich af from businesses and none of thought this was a really bad idea? Just a stupid way to die.
The one guy had been into space/low of it and visited the Mariana Trench you would think he could has seen this outfit as somewhat a Mickey Mouse operation the guy dealt with Airplanes for a living and Carbon Fibre aspect didn’t scare him seems weird.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 08:57 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by Monticore:
The one guy had been into space/low of it and visited the Mariana Trench you would think he could has seen this outfit as somewhat a Mickey Mouse operation the guy dealt with Airplanes for a living and Carbon Fibre aspect didn’t scare him seems weird.

there couldve been another point of failure like maybe the window

[Reply]
MIAdragon 08:57 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
I get what you are saying, but maybe some fucking common sense should apply as well? There are a lot of things you can do to feel alive and press the limits. Jumping into a drainage pipe and sinking to the bottom of the ocean just seems like...an unnecessary risk. :-)
I have a friend who refuses to fly for the exact reason “unnecessary risk”. I’d love to see the wreck in person, I’d also jump at the chance to hitch a ride on the commercial space flights when available. I can see both sides, I’m waiting until my spawn is 18 until I resume the “unnecessary risks” again.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:00 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Bullshit. I bet he had a hooker with him
I mean if not, you'd HAVE to at least rub one out down there, right?

But yeah - you gotta joint the Mile Deep club if you have that shot. Being in a group such a select group alongisde only Direkshun's Whore Mother would be a hell of a feather in your cap.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:04 AM 06-23-2023
carbon fiber at 4:30, steel at 10:30

[Reply]
Monticore 09:04 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
there couldve been another point of failure like maybe the window

there were a few red flags there for sure lol.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 09:05 AM 06-23-2023
What did the billionaire tell his wife before getting into Titan?

You feed the dog, I'll feed the fish
[Reply]
seamonster 06-23-2023, 09:15 AM
This message has been deleted by seamonster.
FlaChief58 09:17 AM 06-23-2023
What color were the billionaire son's eyes?

Blue. One blue this way <--- and one blue that way --->
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:24 AM 06-23-2023
I think we all take risks, more specifically weighted risks, every day. In this case there was a lot of trust in a system that they really don't control. Like flying on a plane, there's a risk, but the customer has little or no control of many aspects of the platform's true worthiness.

I dive both lower risk shallow blue water sites where I can get to the surface if I need to. I also to more risky overhead trimix decompression dives where bolting to the surface is both impossible (overhead) and would be deadly without decompression stops. But a LOT more planning, redundancy, and "extra" gas goes into the latter. Not that we don't plan for gear failures on the shallow dives, but there's clearly not as much risk.

I just feel bad for the people in this case who could really only trust that the others had planned and checked for every possible failure. I'm sure they put a lot of thought into it, it ould be silly to suggest they didn't, but clearly something was missed.

It's all good, we all have our ways to get our thrills.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:36 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I dive both lower risk shallow blue water sites where I can get to the surface if I need to. I also to more risky overhead trimix decompression dives where bolting to the surface is both impossible (overhead) and would be deadly without decompression stops. But a LOT more planning, redundancy, and "extra" gas goes into the latter. Not that we don't plan for gear failures on the shallow dives, but there's clearly not as much risk.
Someday....

And even most people that dive consider that sort of thing a bridge too far. Everyone's appetite for risk -AND control - is a little different.

Most times it's going to be directly proportional; people who take greater risks demand more control. That said, there's also a thresshold point where you reach a 'trust the experts' mindset. If I'm going to jump from a plane, for instance, I'm letting the guys who have run this shop pack my chute. And if/when I do a trimix dive, I'm not gonna be the guy blending those cannisters. Oh sure, I'll make sure it's all rigged up, but I do have to put SOME level of trust in someone else when I'm presuming that they didn't fill the whole damn tank with helium.

Now in time I'll take the wheel there as I know you can alter those mixes a bit depending on the depth and purpose of the dive - but that wouldn't come until I had a ton of experience with it. How precisely would one ever get tha level of experience with deep water submersibles.

At a certain risk threshhold, you have to either BE an expert or TRUST the experts. I just don't think the former is doable here.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 09:43 AM 06-23-2023
The more and more I read about Rush + OceanGate, the more and more I wonder if he truly was being innovative or insane.

This is fucking stupid:

Originally Posted by :
He said he had gotten the carbon fiber used to make the Titan at a big discount from Boeing because it was past its shelf-life for use in airplanes.
https://www.travelweekly.com/North-A...Titanic-Part-2
[Reply]
In58men 09:44 AM 06-23-2023
Money makes people do dumb shit. I’m really not surprised at this at all.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:45 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
The more and more I read about Rush + OceanGate, the more and more I wonder if he truly was being innovative or insane.

This is fucking stupid:

Yeeeeikes.

Um buddy, if you don't want it in an airplane, you don't want it 2 miles below the water...

I mean surely that's not the full story.
[Reply]
ChiTown 09:46 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:

This is fucking stupid:

The lawsuits could be interesting.
[Reply]
Page 61 of 82
« First < 11515758596061 6263646571 > Last »
Up