ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 59 of 82
« First < 9495556575859 6061626369 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tourist(s) missing in submarine while trying to reach the Titannic
Ming the Merciless 10:45 AM 06-19-2023
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-coa...-sub-1.6446841

Originally Posted by :
A search and rescue operation is currently underway to locate a submarine that went missing during an expedition to the Titanic.
The U.S. Coast Guard was looking for the submarine Monday morning after it disappeared during the expedition from St. John's, N.L. The infamous 1912 wreck is located more than 600 kilometres southeast of the province in the North Atlantic Ocean.
The trip to the Titanic was being run by OceanGate Expeditions, a U.S.-based company. It uses a five-person submersible named Titan to reach the wreckage 3,800 metres below the surface. OceanGate's website advertises a seven-night voyage to the Titanic for US$250,000 per person, or approximately CA$330,000.
"We are exploring and mobilizing all options to bring the crew back safely," an OceanGate spokesperson said in an email to CTV News. "Our entire focus is on the crewmembers in the submersible and their families."

Those tours are a series of five eight-day missions to the Titanic with the money raised by tourists going towards Titanic research. Posts on social media show the ship launched from the St. John's area last week.

Did they really have 5 people in this?? Or do they have a larger version??

[Reply]
Stryker 08:37 PM 06-22-2023
DUMB FUCKING ASSES! At least they imploded and felt no pain. The risk is NOT worth the reward. This site is a graveyard leave it alone already.
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 08:49 PM 06-22-2023
Note to self: Avoid ocean adventures in any vessel with the word "Titan" in the name....
[Reply]
neech 08:51 PM 06-22-2023
I wonder if the life insurance company’s that had any of them had a clause written in it about if a person taking extreme risks that caused death their policy would be rejected.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:52 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
I've only ever done it in shallow protected FL keys coral reefs. The big fish there hang around looking for handouts. My first encounter with a bull shark was hilarious, I practically jumped back into the boat. My daughter that dives laughed her ass off and jumped in to calm my nerves. This last time I had a 5 foot barracuda following me around. Every time I would look back he was right behind me, giant eyeballs and teeth was all I could see. I kept trying to pet him but he always stayed more than an arms length away. I have officially checked ocean exploring off my list. I know a hungry great white doesn't inhabit where I was but that's on them.
Only time I got nervous was Great Barrier Reef when I swam into the deep dark at the drop off like nemo, felt very exposed no way I would see a great white coming from below
[Reply]
srvy 08:57 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Yeah I totally missed the torque wrench in the clip. Any bets on if it was bought from Harbor Freight?
[Reply]
jettio 09:17 PM 06-22-2023
It may not be the seal that failed. It may be a metallurgical flaw in the hull. That was able to hold up for so many cycles but finally failed.

Maybe the criticisms that Cameron was talking about was about lack of metallurgical testing.

I would suppose you need flawless metal especially if shape is not spherical.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 09:20 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by Stryker:
This site is a graveyard leave it alone already.
Good point. No one considered supernatural forces as the culprit.
[Reply]
cdcox 09:21 PM 06-22-2023
If the technology isn’t good enough for your man cave, you should think twice before taking it to the bottom of the ocean.
[Reply]
srvy 09:24 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by jettio:
It may not be the seal that failed. It may be a metallurgical flaw in the hull. That was able to hold up for so many cycles but finally failed.

Maybe the criticisms that Cameron was talking about was about lack of metallurgical testing.

The hull isn't metal.
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 09:31 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by jettio:

The hull wasn't metal though. The end caps were titanium, and the body was carbon fiber.

I'm guessing either the hull or window failed and caused the breach.
[Reply]
ghak99 09:32 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
The hull isn't metal.
I've been wondering why more people aren't talking about this. I understand saving the weight, but I don't see how proper inspection after repeated use is possible. Maybe there's some tech I don't know of and it allows carbon fiber to be inspected for internal flaws.

Does anyone know if the other deep dive operations are using carbon fiber?
[Reply]
jettio 09:51 PM 06-22-2023
Oh, carbon fiber and not metal.

I think a similar flaw would be the cause. I suppose you would need to have the molecules connected the way it is supposed to and if flaws in the molecular connections or any voids in molecular structure would be the problem.

I would guess a non-spherical shape would cause some variation in the stress felt at different sections of hull and you would have to limit number of cycles for each hull.
[Reply]
srvy 10:34 PM 06-22-2023
This was posted before but here is the carbon fiber winding of hull for Oceangate Cyclops 2.

GM Harris the man with the most dives to Titanic says he wouldn't use a carbon fiber submersible. He said that no testing on its use in submersibles has been done. Further said the aerospace industry did a little testing but found it gets brittle when stressed over time and fails catastrophically.

[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 11:10 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
This was posted before but here is the carbon fiber winding of hull for Oceangate Cyclops 2.

GM Harris the man with the most dives to Titanic says he wouldn't use a carbon fiber submersible. He said that no testing on its use in submersibles has been done. Further said the aerospace industry did a little testing but found it gets brittle when stressed over time and fails catastrophically.

It is silly for anyone to go down the wreck when you can send an unmanned submersible equipped with stereo cameras on the outside and experience the wreck in just as much detail if not more with a VR setup but from the safety of surface.

What they were paying to do was to play a form of Russian Roulette such that if they lose(and they did lose) they get their names in newspapers. I feel bad for the 19 year old kid, because he is just kid and probably just went along for the ride. Too dumb and too trusting to know. For the others....well they played a stupid game and won stupid prizes.
[Reply]
scho63 11:20 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
They found the front and back of the pressure hull in two separate debris fields
That's why you never shake the can.
[Reply]
Page 59 of 82
« First < 9495556575859 6061626369 > Last »
Up