ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 50 of 82
« First < 404647484950 5152535460 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tourist(s) missing in submarine while trying to reach the Titannic
Ming the Merciless 10:45 AM 06-19-2023
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-coa...-sub-1.6446841

Originally Posted by :
A search and rescue operation is currently underway to locate a submarine that went missing during an expedition to the Titanic.
The U.S. Coast Guard was looking for the submarine Monday morning after it disappeared during the expedition from St. John's, N.L. The infamous 1912 wreck is located more than 600 kilometres southeast of the province in the North Atlantic Ocean.
The trip to the Titanic was being run by OceanGate Expeditions, a U.S.-based company. It uses a five-person submersible named Titan to reach the wreckage 3,800 metres below the surface. OceanGate's website advertises a seven-night voyage to the Titanic for US$250,000 per person, or approximately CA$330,000.
"We are exploring and mobilizing all options to bring the crew back safely," an OceanGate spokesperson said in an email to CTV News. "Our entire focus is on the crewmembers in the submersible and their families."

Those tours are a series of five eight-day missions to the Titanic with the money raised by tourists going towards Titanic research. Posts on social media show the ship launched from the St. John's area last week.

Did they really have 5 people in this?? Or do they have a larger version??

[Reply]
ToxSocks 01:19 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
They found the front and back of the pressure hull in two separate debris fields
Daaayum
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 01:23 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
they didn't have some kind of emergency hatch? the only way out is to be unscrewed outta the thing? :-)
They didn't bring emergency ANYTHING. Maybe some emergency snacks.
[Reply]
Pogue 01:23 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by TLO:
I don't think it works that way.
I don’t think they could blow the hatch from inside anyway. It was all bolted in from outside, from what little I know of this submersible. It’s more likely they hit the thermacline and it was catastrophically breached due to a defect somewhere.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:24 PM 06-22-2023
We'll never know, but I wonder if they had any warning at all. With those pressures, I can see it going from "everything's fine" to "squished" in milliseconds. At least it seems like they wouldn't have suffered much this way.
[Reply]
penguinz 01:24 PM 06-22-2023
Reason #5 to make sure all bolts are within proper torque specifications.
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:26 PM 06-22-2023
I wonder if the window was the culprit. Probably will never know for sure though
[Reply]
RedRaider56 01:26 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by Pogue:
I don’t think they could blow the hatch from inside anyway. It was all bolted in from outside, from what little I know of this submersible. It’s more likely they hit the thermacline and it was catastrophically breached due to a defect somewhere.
Nope, they couldn't blow the hatch. They were bolted in.

One of the reporters at the end asked "are the bodies going to be recovered?" Really?
[Reply]
RedRaider56 01:26 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by DaFace:
We'll never know, but I wonder if they had any warning at all. With those pressures, I can see it going from "everything's fine" to "squished" in milliseconds. At least it seems like they wouldn't have suffered much this way.
Nope, pretty much instantaneous
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:29 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Last I checked we made fun of little girls getting their feet chopped off on a coaster. Why should this douchefucks CEO and his 4 dumb friends be any different? Especially given the fact they ran the folks out that were hired in the first place to tell them how stupid this expedition was and it at the very least needed rigorous testing first
Oh don't get me wrong - CP isn't real life at all.

I have no compunction with the pile-on at CP. That's what we do and I'm proud to be a part of it.

But the social media celebrating is a bit much...
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 01:31 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:

One of the reporters at the end asked "are the bodies going to be recovered?" Really?
There aren't really separate bodies at this point. Just a compressed lump of mush. They might be able to find DNA traces if they bring the craft to the surface.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:32 PM 06-22-2023
I just hope nobody is lost retrieving whatever is left of them. That would be a real tragedy. As it stands right now, this whole mess is just the billionaire edition of play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 01:32 PM 06-22-2023
a tenth of a second, not even enough time to perceive a problem
[Reply]
frozenchief 01:33 PM 06-22-2023
James Cameron, who does know a thing or two about submersibles and ocean depth, depicted an implosion in The Abyss. It's from Hollywood but still ....

[Reply]
DaFace 01:34 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake:
There aren't really separate bodies at this point. Just a compressed lump of mush. They might be able to find DNA traces if they bring the craft to the surface.
I'm not sure people fully appreciate how extreme the pressures are we're talking about here. It's somewhere around 400 atmospheres, so about 400x the pressure we're used to. Or in psi, it would be about 6,000 psi. Even calling it "mush" is probably being generous.
[Reply]
ChiefaRoo 01:35 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:

Journalists have a large ‘Ron Burgundy’ level of thinking in them.
[Reply]
Page 50 of 82
« First < 404647484950 5152535460 > Last »
Up