ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>**2024 MLB ALL StAR GDT**
GabyKeepsMeWarm 05:56 PM 07-16-2024
Nice little ovation from the Texas faithful for Bobby's intro...

But sweet baby jesus... these uniforms are fucking heinous.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:23 PM 07-16-2024
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
Anyone know: have the royals, previous to tonight, ever have two starting pitchers on the AS team?
I don't think so. There was a time when the MLB was obsessed with 1 all star per team. Absolutely wild that saberhagen and gubicza never pitched for the same all star team
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 08:23 PM 07-16-2024
Blarg
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:23 PM 07-16-2024
Bob strikes out
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:24 PM 07-16-2024
Originally Posted by tk13:
Tonight's the first time.
The even more crazy is that Kevin Appier was only an All-Star once.
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 08:26 PM 07-16-2024
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I don't think so. There was a time when the MLB was obsessed with 1 all star per team. Absolutely wild that saberhagen and gubicza never pitched for the same all star team
They were rarely good at the same time. But yeah... Kind of strange that the 70's Royals never did it either. Busby, Splitt, Leonard, Gura, etc... For Appier to only have one ASG appearance as a Royal is a fucking crime. Colossally underrated and overlooked for years.
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 08:34 PM 07-16-2024
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
The even more crazy is that Kevin Appier was only an All-Star once.
But thank god that faggot Jack McDowell got three AS nods. It's fucking criminal. McDowell couldn't carry Ape's jock.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 08:40 PM 07-16-2024
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Yeah, it's a long way from regulars like Kershaw, Cole, Verlander, mad max. I feel like a lot of these guys will throw their arms out. And I don't think batters have fully adjusted yet to the pitch clock
There's going to be a huge void of potential Hall of Fame starters when three of those four regulars retire in the near future.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 08:41 PM 07-16-2024
Willi Castro in the All-Star Game is why sometimes I cringe watching this.

Freaking David Fry got two at-bats. Nobody wants to see David Fry.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 08:45 PM 07-16-2024
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm:
But thank god that bundle of sticks Jack McDowell got three AS nods. It's ****ing criminal. McDowell couldn't carry Ape's jock.
Appier, believe it or not, has a career 54.5 Baseball Reference WAR. That's a borderline Hall of Famer.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 08:48 PM 07-16-2024
AL/ Royals win!
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:48 PM 07-16-2024
Royals get homefield advantage in the World Series!!!! Oh wait, they don't do that no more.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 08:52 PM 07-16-2024
NL back in its rightful place
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 09:07 PM 07-16-2024
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
Appier, believe it or not, has a career 54.5 Baseball Reference WAR. That's a borderline Hall of Famer.
Oh, I'm very aware. Appier has always been one of my favorites. If he doesn't slip and fall off a porch one fateful Christmas day in 1997, he very well could be in the HOF right now, he really was that good. But that shoulder injury wrecked his career, and while he had a couple of decent seasons after the injury, he was nowhere near the same

But he pitched in a dipshit era when wins were all that mattered and playing for a big name team, just at the time when the Royals truly began their cold/irrelevant era. Royals offense was horrible. The 1994 strike and shortened 1995, along with Bob Boone's jagoff guidance didn't help him either. Also had an odd personality, just kinda strange and aloof without a lot of charisma.

He got boned out of what should have been several allstar appearances, and especially boned out of the Cy Young in 1993, and hindsight would tell you there isn't much debate about that.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 09:11 PM 07-16-2024
Paul Skenes needs a visit to the dermatologist.
He and Pimples Herbert have the same face.

Libby Dunne doesn't care, though.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:51 PM 07-16-2024
Oh, I'm very aware. Appier has always been one of my favorites. If he doesn't slip and fall off a porch one fateful Christmas day in 1997, he very well could be in the HOF right now, he really was that good. But that shoulder injury wrecked his career, and while he had a couple of decent seasons after the injury, he was nowhere near the same

But he pitched in a dipshit era when wins were all that mattered and playing for a big name team, just at the time when the Royals truly began their cold/irrelevant era. Royals offense was horrible. The 1994 strike and shortened 1995, along with Bob Boone's jagoff guidance didn't help him either. Also had an odd personality, just kinda strange and aloof without a lot of charisma.

He got boned out of what should have been several allstar appearances, and especially boned out of the Cy Young in 1993, and hindsight would tell you there isn't much debate about that.
It's crazy to think that Jose Rosado has more all-star appearances than Appier.

You're right, the Royals' offense didn't do him any favors.

He had the league's fifth best ERA in 1996, but he went 9-13.

Through 1998, Appier had 80 career losses and in 35 of them, the Royals scored one or no runs.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up