ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Should I Grant A Full Refund On A Non Refundable Airbnb Rental in Helene Hit West NC
BigRichard 03:18 PM Today
Lets see what Chiefsplanet says on this one...

We have an Airbnb up in Western North Carolina where hurricane Helene hit and has done so much damage. We rented to a lady who chose to pick a non-refundable purchase which gave her a discount at the time of her booking. We are currently up and operational minus our hot tub. We are not filling those for a number of reasons due to the issues with Helene and our renters' agreements states we do not give refunds for things of that nature. Her stay isn't until the 20th and it is about a $1100 payout.

The guest asked for a full refund because she doesn't want to travel here, and she is stating she can't get here but she can. She may have to take a slight detour from the normal route but she can get here.

Airbnb has stated we don't have to give her any type of refund since she did select the non-refundable option. Would you give the full refund? Half a refund? None of it?

We have given others full refunds and/or credit for other stays but she is the only one who got a discount for booking as non-refundable.
[Reply]
Dartgod 06:12 PM Today
Originally Posted by Raiderhater:
I really cannot get on board with the tailgate fraud comparison that some are throwing around. We are not talking about the purchaser driving up to the address of the Airbnb to find an empty lot. If that were the case, then the comparison would have plenty of merit, otherwise these are two totally separate issues.

To my mind, this issue is fairly cut and dry: a hurricane is a legitimate reason to waive a no cancellation policy. Even if the house is in good order, what is the area as a whole dealing with? If this is just a little vacation (admittedly assuming here) is there much to do in the area at this point? Does the community even want tourists or would they just be in the way? Granted, I don't know what the extent of the damage is in that area so I am just addressing some possibilities.

Regardless of all the specifics, it just seems like, at the very least, good business sense to grant a refund minus whatever fees may be at play.
It's because the majority of the posters on this site would rather be a dickhead when the OP is really just seeking advice on a difficult situation.

Nothing new here.
[Reply]
BigRichard 06:17 PM Today
Just to fill everyone in... we offered $100 cancellation, and she took it.

And ptylon and Jewish Rabbi are still dumbasses.
[Reply]
ptlyon 06:18 PM Today
Originally Posted by BigRichard:

Good on you Sir.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 06:18 PM Today
Can you allow her to reschedule for sometime in the next six months?
[Reply]
BigRichard 06:20 PM Today
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan:
Can you allow her to reschedule for sometime in the next six months?
We actually gave some guests 18 months because we have no idea how long this will take.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 06:22 PM Today
We actually gave some guests 18 months because we have no idea how long this will take.
Good on ya, dude. It’s a shame Airbnb is so ridiculous with their policies. It does put the owners in a difficult spot.

And I hope your money from ATL is returned to you soon.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 06:25 PM Today
Just to fill everyone in... we offered $100 cancellation, and she took it.....................
Good on you!
[Reply]
stumppy 06:35 PM Today

So...uh....got any pics of her?
[Reply]
UteChief 06:46 PM Today
We can do this with other guests(and did with several booking) depending on how they booked... we tend not to do this when the booking was through Airbnb. No other way to book allows non-refundable either though. Airbnb just make things difficult to work outside of their channels.
Cut Airbnb out and just have her email you when she wants to use her time. I would also have it expire within a reasonable amount of time. 12 months
[Reply]
UteChief 06:47 PM Today

Sounds like a great way to handle it. I work for a bank in Wilmington. Where is your place and do you have others?
[Reply]
BigRichard 06:50 PM Today
Originally Posted by UteChief:
Sounds like a great way to handle it. I work for a bank in Wilmington. Where is your place and do you have others?
Yep, we have 5 cabins on 17 acres up here in the mountains. I can PM you the website if you like.
[Reply]
UteChief 06:52 PM Today
Yep, we have 5 cabins on 17 acres up here in the mountains. I can PM you the website if you like.
Please do.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 07:13 PM Today
+ 1 please. Love the area.
[Reply]
BigRichard 07:28 PM Today
Originally Posted by UteChief:
Please do.
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
+ 1 please. Love the area.
Done!
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 07:28 PM Today
This gets people to drive hundreds of miles in adult diapers to slash your tires. To start
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up