ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>First time coaching (youth flag football)
staylor26 05:09 PM 06-04-2024
Ages 4-6. Had my first conditioning practice today and found out my entire team hasn't ever played before, so needless to say, I have my work cut out for me.

Any tips?
[Reply]
staylor26 12:55 AM 08-27-2024
Here's another video:

pic.twitter.com/A16gXl9Z1C

— KevinDegraff (@degraff_kevin) August 27, 2024

Watch the same kid #11 push my player in the back in the end zone well after the play is over. Again, refs did not call it.
[Reply]
-King- 04:44 AM 08-27-2024
I'll be honest, I don't think I'll put my sons in organized football until they hit double digits. I really hate how youth football teams are being ran and the coaches that obviously care more about winning and being able to talk shit about it than actually teaching all the kids how to play (not talking about you staylor, this more than likely applies to the coach you were playing against). It's just so fucking weird. There are people I went to school with and others my age that are coaching youth football and I see them talking shit on Facebook and it's just bizarre to me. Like...you're coaching youth football...why do you care so much about wins and losses and being the baddest team in the city?

I'll just let my kids play backyard football with friends and the neighborhood kids and if they want to play organized football when they're a little older then they can play.
[Reply]
Why Not? 04:49 AM 08-27-2024
Originally Posted by -King-:
I'll be honest, I don't think I'll put my sons in organized football until they hit double digits. I really hate how youth football teams are being ran and the coaches that obviously care more about winning and being able to talk shit about it than actually teaching all the kids how to play (not talking about you staylor, this more than likely applies to the coach you were playing against). It's just so ****ing weird. There are people I went to school with and others my age that are coaching youth football and I see them talking shit on Facebook and it's just bizarre to me. Like...you're coaching youth football...why do you care so much about wins and losses and being the baddest team in the city?

I'll just let my kids play backyard football with friends and the neighborhood kids and if they want to play organized football when they're a little older then they can play.
My 13 year old has been playing for years. We love football in our family. I say all that to say this......nothing (in the youth sports world) brings out the worst in people (adults, mostly) than youth football. It's really kinda weird. Thankfully my son plays for his school now and that is more regulated. I coach his weekend flag team but it's 100% just for fun so I basically let the kids call their own plays and exist to call timeouts. When the time comes to hang em up, I will miss coaching my son and the other kids. I will not miss....anything else.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:05 AM 08-27-2024
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I just coached Tball for 4-6 year olds. Practice the basics in small groups of 3-4 so they aren't standing around. Besides yourself, you'll want two other parents to help. Practice should not exceed more than 45 minutes.

Basics of throwing, catching and flag pulling at different stations. Kids at that age also like to run so setup some cones for them to run in and out of.

Keep it fun and basic. Some of the kids liked the team cheer (Go "Mascot!") at the end more than anything. :-)

Popsicles at the end of each practice will make you the best coach.
This is good advice above. I coached competitive little league baseball for 10 years. youth football for 5 and sports I had no clue on how to coach, soccer/basketball for 2 years.

It has to be fun. Look for frills that are fun but improve their skills. Social time as a team around 8-9 years is essential later to winning.

I googled all kinds of fun drills to do. I knew jack shit about soccer. I hung a stuffed bear in the goal and gave a treat to a kid that could hit it. They were the best team by far in the league at striking the ball. Had a neighborhood kid show them how to strike a ball etc... If your heart is in the right place,

As long as your hearts in the right place it will be a positive experience for the kids and you. Never forget its about the kids and you'll be fine. From your posts in here it seems very likely that kids will want to play for you. And your heart is in the right place. Keep it up. :-)
[Reply]
tyecopeland 05:26 AM 08-27-2024
My daughter played last year. Don't be that coach who tells his players to tackle the ball carrier if they can't get the flag. There's was one of those in the league we were in.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:37 AM 08-27-2024
mmmmm.... cooooooool.

I think my 6 year old gets to play flag this year. Hopefully it's not a shitshow rodeo like this.

Sorry staylor. Some people really fucking suck.
[Reply]
srvy 06:02 AM 08-27-2024
Oklahoma drill!
[Reply]
staylor26 06:42 AM 08-27-2024
Originally Posted by -King-:
I'll be honest, I don't think I'll put my sons in organized football until they hit double digits. I really hate how youth football teams are being ran and the coaches that obviously care more about winning and being able to talk shit about it than actually teaching all the kids how to play (not talking about you staylor, this more than likely applies to the coach you were playing against). It's just so fucking weird. There are people I went to school with and others my age that are coaching youth football and I see them talking shit on Facebook and it's just bizarre to me. Like...you're coaching youth football...why do you care so much about wins and losses and being the baddest team in the city?

Dude, I don't think we've ever agreed more.

I'm super competitive, and I was absolutely shocked how these coaches/parents are. Believe it or not, the opposing team is crying because they didn't get to finish kicking our ass. Another reason I quit, and told our parents they should demand their money back and do the same.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:58 AM 08-27-2024
A lot of people on here that I thought might field a finesse team, but not you, staylor. Props to being the bigger man and not cold cocking the other coach.
[Reply]
wazu 07:12 AM 08-27-2024
Not sure where you live, staylor, but this full-contact blocking in a flag football league stuff is not typical at all. Both my boys played flag football in Liberty Parks and Rec from early grade school up through middle school. Never had this kind of experience. It was a great league. Neither of my boys decided to play tackle football. One of them loved baseball and made that his focus, the other went into rugby. But we had an absolute blast playing flag football all those years and I don't remember as a coach ever seriously considering leaving the league.
[Reply]
O.city 07:19 AM 08-27-2024
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Dude, I don't think we've ever agreed more.

I'm super competitive, and I was absolutely shocked how these coaches/parents are. Believe it or not, the opposing team is crying because they didn't get to finish kicking our ass. Another reason I quit, and told our parents they should demand their money back and do the same.
Dude, you're just getting into it. It's wild.

Acting like idiots is a common occurrence at youth sports. We're trying to really build the program here where my kids are, starting with the youth. Biggest thing is numbers and fundamentals or atleast that's what we're focusing on.

My goal is to get #'s to the JR high and high school coaches. We're a smaller school, class 2ish so if I can get 20 guys per class playing football.....perfect.

But my god parents are relentlessly hopeless.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:33 AM 08-27-2024
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
A lot of people on here that I thought might field a finesse team, but not you, staylor. Props to being the bigger man and not cold cocking the other coach.
lol I have the youngest team in the league. It's 4-6 year olds and half my team is 4. That's why it's so crazy that they would allow 6 year olds to rough up 4 year olds.
[Reply]
O.city 07:37 AM 08-27-2024
We did some flag when my boys were that young but man.....that's pretty early. We do our school flag in 1 and 2nd grade.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:00 AM 08-27-2024
Originally Posted by wazu:
Not sure where you live, staylor, but this full-contact blocking in a flag football league stuff is not typical at all. Both my boys played flag football in Liberty Parks and Rec from early grade school up through middle school. Never had this kind of experience. It was a great league. Neither of my boys decided to play tackle football. One of them loved baseball and made that his focus, the other went into rugby. But we had an absolute blast playing flag football all those years and I don't remember as a coach ever seriously considering leaving the league.
Unfortunately I live in Key West and I have no other options, so I guess my son won't be playing football until middle school. I will have him ready though. Breaks my heart though because he was really into it and one of my best players (easily the best under 6).
[Reply]
O.city 08:02 AM 08-27-2024
Yeah, we played flag football that early as mostly a 7 on 7 type thing.

That shouldn't be near that physical at that age.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up