ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 46 of 82
« First < 364243444546 4748495056 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tourist(s) missing in submarine while trying to reach the Titannic
Ming the Merciless 10:45 AM 06-19-2023
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-coa...-sub-1.6446841

Originally Posted by :
A search and rescue operation is currently underway to locate a submarine that went missing during an expedition to the Titanic.
The U.S. Coast Guard was looking for the submarine Monday morning after it disappeared during the expedition from St. John's, N.L. The infamous 1912 wreck is located more than 600 kilometres southeast of the province in the North Atlantic Ocean.
The trip to the Titanic was being run by OceanGate Expeditions, a U.S.-based company. It uses a five-person submersible named Titan to reach the wreckage 3,800 metres below the surface. OceanGate's website advertises a seven-night voyage to the Titanic for US$250,000 per person, or approximately CA$330,000.
"We are exploring and mobilizing all options to bring the crew back safely," an OceanGate spokesperson said in an email to CTV News. "Our entire focus is on the crewmembers in the submersible and their families."

Those tours are a series of five eight-day missions to the Titanic with the money raised by tourists going towards Titanic research. Posts on social media show the ship launched from the St. John's area last week.

Did they really have 5 people in this?? Or do they have a larger version??

[Reply]
ToxSocks 11:56 AM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
If it didn’t implode and they released it as apart of a way to reach the surface, that seems went wrong along the way going back up.
That'd be the next question. Are they actually able to release it from inside the vessel. Was that actually a feature.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:56 AM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Last I checked we made fun of little girls getting their feet chopped off on a coaster. Why should this douchefucks CEO and his 4 dumb friends be any different? Especially given the fact they ran the folks out that were hired in the first place to tell them how stupid this expedition was and it at the very least needed rigorous testing first
Because idiots like to white knight billionaires on the off chance they ever get to be one.
[Reply]
wazu 11:59 AM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Interesting interview with Josh Gates of Expedition Unknown. Great show. Apparently a few years back they visited this company and sub to potentially do something with on a Titanic show but after some test dives felt it wasn’t safe enough with enough data to support its overall design and materials.

https://youtu.be/T7gy3Sk1c6g
That was really good, thanks for sharing.
[Reply]
tredadda 11:59 AM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by Valiant:
I just don't know why they would not boat out the sub then drop it from there. Seems so much more logical than driving it from shore for days.

Sucks for the families.
Looking at the whole lead up to this, nothing that was done was logical. And as expected it failed to work out.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:59 AM 06-22-2023
I just don't know why they would not boat out the sub then drop it from there. Seems so much more logical than driving it from shore for days.

Sucks for the families.
?

This is not a sub... it is a submersible. The submersible requires a ship to launch from as it doesn't have the power required to get out there on it's own.

Or did I miss something about this particular vehicle?
[Reply]
ptlyon 11:59 AM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Did you leave behind a debris field?
I'm my pants
[Reply]
tredadda 12:01 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Because idiots like to white knight billionaires on the off chance they ever get to be one.
They paid for a once in a lifetime experience and got what they paid for.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:01 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Not in the glorious 80's my friend
[Reply]
Spott 12:02 PM 06-22-2023

Sucks for the families.
I assumed that’s how they got that little vehicle out there. Every single thing about this excursion is a giant red flag, but somehow all of them were ignored.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:02 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I don't recall where I saw the replica - I'm wanting to say it was in Bermuda. But my jaw just dropped. It was in the middle of a pavilion area and it was just some tiny shitty wooden ship. My first thought was 'scale model' then I looked it up and confirmed that the think was like 56 feet long.

Explorers are crazy. Magellan went around the world on a ship that was MAYBE 70 ft long and records are that it could've been nearer to the 55-60 ft of the Nina/Pinta.

Again - the world's always had guys who are willing to risk it all. When it works they're celebrated. I don't really think they should be mocked when it doesn't.
Eeeeh. I wouldn't go that far. A lot of folks that ultimately did go on those expeditions did so under orders of whoever ruled that jurisdiction at that given time. A more proper comparison would be if the regent and his closest friends set off and drowned in a cobbled together boat made of bamboo and flex tape after executing all his advisors that told him what a fucking stupid idea it was.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 12:02 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
In high school I asked one of the hottest chicks in my grade out. She declined. But I grabbed her boob leaving, so I'm still a winner.
Yup. Winner!
[Reply]
ChiTown 12:04 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Not in the glorious 80's my friend
Correct - that was called a mating signal...
[Reply]
Red Dawg 12:05 PM 06-22-2023
Dead. Crushed by the sea. Nothing to find.
[Reply]
notorious 12:08 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by wazu:
Maybe on the Xbox controller the driver got the bumper and trigger buttons mixed up and the bumper is the one that blows off the rear cover when he needed to press trigger button to drop the landing frame. Happens to the best of us.
I've died dozens of times when I fuck up key binding.

Not in real life, though.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:11 PM 06-22-2023
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Dead. Crushed by the sea. Nothing to find.
Thank you for your insightful contributions to this thread.
[Reply]
Page 46 of 82
« First < 364243444546 4748495056 > Last »
Up