ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Hurricane Milton is a CAT 5 and Coming for Florida
Otter 03:35 AM Today
Didn't see a thread and I'm pretty sure we some fellow members right in it's bullseye. This could be devastating.

Hurricane Milton grows 'explosively' stronger with 180-mph winds: Live updates

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...a/75552024007/

Spoiler!

[Reply]
suzzer99 12:18 PM Today
Originally Posted by FloridaMan88:
Only if you are located on the highest floors and are prepared to be stuck in that location with no way out for potentially several days.

Without electricity… that means no A/C.

Likely without plumbing as well.

So the answer would be to still get the hell out.
I guess the only time it makes sense is if you can't or won't evacuate for some reason, but you live in a nearby house. Taking shelter in that building could have saved your life.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 12:21 PM Today
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I guess the only time it makes sense is if you can't or won't evacuate for some reason, but you live in a nearby house. Taking shelter in that building could have saved your life.
It's common knowledge here that if you're under a mandatory evacuation order, and decide to stay, you're on your own. If you need help, it's not coming. People still regularly roll the dice though.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:22 PM Today
Right. But if you do stay, it's still better to be high and dry than dead. Assuming you don't die from dysentery or heat exhaustion or something after the storm.
[Reply]
wazu 12:25 PM Today
Right. But if you do stay, it's still better to be high and dry than dead. Assuming you don't die from dysentery or heat exhaustion or something after the storm.
Does a building like that just open their doors and let people come on in? I would think the people working in those buildings would have evacuated the state and left it locked up/boarded up/whatever. I guess in a dire enough circumstance people just break in and try to get to a top floor. Just not sure what that situation looks like.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:27 PM Today
We're friends with a couple who moved to Florida and just bought a house in Punta Gorda last month. Doesn't look like a very good location according to that storm surge map.
[Reply]
Spott 12:34 PM Today
Originally Posted by Spott:
Flying out this morning from Orlando. Definitely the calm before the storm now with perfect weather outside.
Was about to board the plane when I posted this. Now the flight has been delayed 9 hours thanks to Frontier’s nonsense. I might be riding this thing out at MCO. :-)
[Reply]
FlaChief58 12:37 PM Today
Yes, if you made the decision to stay in a flood zone, I would say that building would be preferred over a single story building. That said, storm surge can take out pretty much any structure.
[Reply]
roman gnome 12:44 PM Today
Helene flipped my gazebo , just finished repairing it. I put 18in anchors in the ground for my gazebo ,grill and smoker with tie straps . Time will tell ,this one looks nasty!
[Reply]
tooge 12:54 PM Today
I have friends in the Cape Coral area. They are staying put. I hope all is ok for them, but damn, if not, its their own fault. GTFO early, or move.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:05 PM Today
Five tables of poker still open at the Tampa Hard Rock
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:18 PM Today
Originally Posted by wazu:
Does a building like that just open their doors and let people come on in? I would think the people working in those buildings would have evacuated the state and left it locked up/boarded up/whatever. I guess in a dire enough circumstance people just break in and try to get to a top floor. Just not sure what that situation looks like.
Yeah I'd be breaking in if my life was in danger.

I'm not in a tsunami zone in LA (I'm about 100' above sea level). But I have eyed a tall building on a hill above me just in case the water is coming up fast. But then again that kind of tsunami would probably be a civilization-destroying asteroid.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:25 PM Today
Originally Posted by FlaChief58:
It's common knowledge here that if you're under a mandatory evacuation order, and decide to stay, you're on your own. If you need help, it's not coming. People still regularly roll the dice though.
I'd say 95% of people that don't evacuate is a financial reason.
[Reply]
penguinz 01:27 PM Today
Originally Posted by Mecca:
In the past maybe. Today it is the idiots that think anyone not MAGA is out to get them at all costs.

BEP pretty much proved this by saying she thought they were exaggerating the potential danger of this storm.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 01:28 PM Today
Originally Posted by Mecca:
That, and people hate going to shelters.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:31 PM Today
Originally Posted by penguinz:
In the past maybe. Today it is the idiots that think anyone not MAGA is out to get them at all costs.

BEP pretty much proved this by saying she thought they were exaggerating the potential danger of this storm.
Well I won't dispute that we as a society have truly gotten dumber, people literally ignore facts because of beliefs, don't research anything etc etc.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up