ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>How much sense does Mahomes make for MVP?
Direckshun 04:48 AM Today
Historically, including the two times Mahomes has actually won the MVP, the award goes to the quarterback with the gaudiest stats and highlight reel performances.

That's a big reason why, despite his regularly disappearing in the playoffs, Lamar Jackson will be a perennial MVP candidate (until the day he has to retire two seasons from now because his body was snapped in half).

And certainly going by that standard, Lamar should be a frontrunner again this year, alongside Josh Allen. Both QBs are putting up huge stats and making insane plays.

But the QB doing the heaviest lifting this season happens to be the same one who is undefeated.

We saw what happens when a really good QB is deprived of his best weapons yesterday. It was Brock Purdy, and he was largely useless.

Mahomes has made plenty of mistakes but if he cuts down on his most egregious errors, and keeps willing this team to victory after victory, then I absolutely think you have to look at him as MVP. The award is "Most Valuable Player," and Mahomes has proven that even if you kneecap the skill positions all over his offense, he (along with Reid's elite gameplanning) can lead his team to victory after victory.

Naturally, he doesn't care, because he only cares about Super Bowls.

But this guy is the GOAT, and he needs to have a trophy case proving that.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:07 AM Today
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Give him it. As far as I'm concerned, like LeBron in his prime, he should get it every season.

The stats aren't going to be there this year, but that is for reasons largely out of his control (i.e. having the worst group of WRs in the league after virtually all of his weapons got hurt). He remains the best player in football when it matters.
Hitting open receivers is definitely something he can control.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 11:11 AM Today
None.

Can a coach win the MVP? Steve Spagnuolo would get my vote if so.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 11:15 AM Today
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Hitting open receivers is definitely something he can control.
It isn't quite that simple. It's evident that he has no rhythm with them and/or they are still doing things he doesn't expect.

There's a huge difference between what he has with Kelce (and what he was starting to form with Rice) and what he has with the others that comprise this team's receiver room.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:18 AM Today
Give him it. As far as I'm concerned, like LeBron in his prime, he should get it every season.

The stats aren't going to be there this year, but that is for reasons largely out of his control (i.e. having the worst group of WRs in the league after virtually all of his weapons got hurt). He remains the best player in football when it matters.
Says the guy who constantly criticizes Brady for his stats during an era when it was much harder to pass.

Lol
[Reply]
philfree 11:19 AM Today
Don't care about the MVP race at this point. All that matters is wins and post season wins so let someone else puff out their MVP chest as we hoist the Lombardi!
[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:25 AM Today
It isn't quite that simple. It's evident that he has no rhythm with them and/or they are still doing things he doesn't expect.

There's a huge difference between what he has with Kelce (and what he was starting to form with Rice) and what he has with the others that comprise this team's receiver room.

Worthy was too open. Clearly his fault Mahomes missed him. One day maybe you will accept that it’s okay to blame Mahomes for bad plays that are obviously his fault.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:25 AM Today
To this point, none. His numbers look like Danny Dimes'.

The MVP of this team is currently Spags, and it's not close at all.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 11:27 AM Today
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Says the guy who constantly criticizes Brady for his stats during an era when it was much harder to pass.

Lol
Peyton Manning was better than Brady during their respective primes but played on far worse defensive teams for most of his career. I trust you aren’t suggesting that Allen or Lamar are better than Mahomes?
[Reply]
KC_Connection 11:37 AM Today
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Worthy was too open. Clearly his fault Mahomes missed him. One day maybe you will accept that it’s okay to blame Mahomes for bad plays that are obviously his fault.
80.4 QBR yesterday against one of the best defenses in the league. Everybody is gonna miss throws from time to time; that doesn’t mean he wasn’t very good against SF.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:44 AM Today
That wasn't one of the best defenses in the league. They're really banged up. No Greenlaw, Hufanga, Ward was dinged up from last week. I don't know their DL that well, but I remember reading that they were dealing with injuries up front, at LB and in the secondary.

Combined with all the injuries they had on offense, we didn't play the best version of SF at all. We played the JV version.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 11:59 AM Today
Even if he had 0 INTs, you're not winning MVP throwing 1 TD pass per game.

My guess is Goff or Lamar win the MVP this season. The former is playing for a dynamic offense and is a feelgood story. The latter is someone the league wants to push as an elite QB on Mahomes' level. Both are surrounded by offensive talent that allows them to compile big numbers.

Forgot about Josh Allen. He's up there also and hasn't won MVP before. Another guy the league is pushing as being on Mahomes' level.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 12:09 PM Today
It's Goff at the moment
[Reply]
DRM08 12:10 PM Today
He’s definitely not gonna win regular season MVP. But he’s playing better than traditional stats would suggest. Currently Tied for 10th in ESPN’s QBR metric.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 12:11 PM Today
I wouldn't be butthurt about Goff getting it, he's been good for a while now. He hasn't won one and right now he's leading in like YPA and passing %. plus he kind of looks like ryan gosling which I am told the ladies like
[Reply]
DRM08 12:20 PM Today
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni:
It's Goff at the moment
Not sure about that. Goff is 16th in QBR. Looks like the first 3 games were not very good, with QBR grades ranging from 30/100 to 43/100. He’s been playing at a very high level the last 3 games, with QBR grades ranging from 71/100 to 94/100.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/game...779/jared-goff
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up