ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Nzoner's Game Room>What's a good alternative to Keurig
Lzen 09:14 AM 07-09-2024
Our Keurig duo just broke. This is the second one we've had (first one broke while still under warranty). I would like to hear some suggestions. Anything that will last longer, better quality, etc.? Or is this just the nature of these kinds of appliances?

Currently, I'm looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-CFP101-...en%2C84&sr=1-1
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 07:01 PM 07-09-2024
Originally Posted by Spott:
That looks like best way to do a pour over. You need to do the pour over slowly while keeping the water as hot as possible to get the most flavor out of the beans. I have a ChemEx pour over which is nice, but I have to use a separate pot to keep the water boiling during the time I’m making it. Pour overs are great, but they just take a little time and effort to make properly.
So for a long time I was buying Folgers coffee in teabag style for camping because it was so convenient.

I then came to the conclusion that unless you are going gourmet, two coffee bags in not quite boiling water beats drip and is so much easier than poor over. And instead of having a pot of coffee go old, each cup is fresh.

And doing fresh, okay coffee at home made me appreciate espresso drinks more on occasion when out.

But they disappeared from my local grocer.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 12:03 AM 07-10-2024
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
So for a long time I was buying Folgers coffee in teabag style for camping because it was so convenient.

I then came to the conclusion that unless you are going gourmet, two coffee bags in not quite boiling water beats drip and is so much easier than poor over. And instead of having a pot of coffee go old, each cup is fresh.

And doing fresh, okay coffee at home made me appreciate espresso drinks more on occasion when out.

But they disappeared from my local grocer.
Takes a long time for coffee to go old in a thermal coffee carafe. Especially when you make smaller batches. :-)
[Reply]
Bump 01:07 AM 07-10-2024
I don't know many other people like me who just prefer this

Pour some hot water over that bitch straight into your cup. Tastes fine to me and barely any cleaning involved.

[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 01:26 AM 07-10-2024
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Our Keurig duo just broke.
Pick it up, raise it into the air, smack the bottom with a rubber mallet 3 times.

It will start working again.
[Reply]
NewChief 08:38 AM 07-10-2024
We’ve gone to a Simply Good maker, which is a knock off of the MoccaMaster. It’s great, but you can’t set a timer on it, which I disliked. We wake up at 4:45 to hit the gym by 5. I need a quick coffee ready quickly prior to my workout.

That’s where our Nespresso espresso maker comes in (the original not the newer one). We got hooked on these while staying at Airbnb’s in Italy and France. Decided to get one when we got home and we really like it. Great for “European” style coffee consumption where you drink several shots of espresso through the day vs. just a pot of coffee in the morning. We actually do that as well with the Simply Good. So best of both worlds.

I’d love to commit to a real espresso setup, but the cost is prohibitive. When I “retire” and work at home in the next 7 years, I’ll likely take that up as a hobby. It doesn’t make sense now, though working outside the house for most of the day.
[Reply]
Graystoke 08:58 AM 07-10-2024
Originally Posted by Bump:
I don't know many other people like me who just prefer this

Pour some hot water over that bitch straight into your cup. Tastes fine to me and barely any cleaning involved.

This is the way.
Also adding to use quality bamboo #2 filters not those bleached out white ones.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:40 AM 07-10-2024
Originally Posted by alanm:
Mr Coffee and Foldgers. Why in hell would you brew up one cup at a time? Not to mention the price of those Keurig packets. :-)
Meh, we don't buy Keurig brand pods. We have found a couple that we like at Aldi. We both like the breakfast blend and I, personally, really like the Columbian one. They are about 0.37 per pod. Not that expensive for the convenience and speed. Also I have a smaller, cheaper Keurig at work.

We also buy the breakfast blend in grounds. But you guys have got me thinking that i need to go back to grinding beans. Not sure if they sell that in beans. We do have a local coffee shop that sells some amazing bourbon pecan beans. Might have to look into ordering online. Blackout coffee?
[Reply]
Lzen 09:43 AM 07-10-2024
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
This is the way.
Also adding to use quality bamboo #2 filters not those bleached out white ones.
Definitely!
[Reply]
Rausch 11:38 AM 07-10-2024
Are there really people who only have one cup of coffee?

I mean, if yer' a coffee snob and you're deep into all that stuff I get the whole having different flavors and types thing. Still, who only has one cup?
[Reply]
Lzen 12:22 PM 07-10-2024
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Are there really people who only have one cup of coffee?

I mean, if yer' a coffee snob and you're deep into all that stuff I get the whole having different flavors and types thing. Still, who only has one cup?
Good question. On weekdays (workdays) I generally have time for 1 cup while getting ready for work and then I grab one to take with me. Then, I make a 3rd cup at work.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:47 PM 07-10-2024
What the hell are you doing to your coffee maker?
I have had a Keurig for 6 years and never had an issue.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:50 PM 07-10-2024
Almost any other coffee maker is better than a Keurig. But I prefer a French press. I may have gone a little overboard though, as I now have three of the things, small (1.5-2 cup) medium (3-4 cups) and large (6-8 cups).
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 06:31 PM 07-10-2024
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
What the hell are you doing to your coffee maker?
I have had a Keurig for 6 years and never had an issue.
Not descaling it?
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:38 PM 07-10-2024
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
Not descaling it?
No, I have city water and I filter the water in a brita pitcher.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 07:33 PM 07-10-2024
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
No, I have city water and I filter the water in a brita pitcher.
I meant - perhaps he wasn’t descaling?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Up