ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Should I Grant A Full Refund On A Non Refundable Airbnb Rental in Helene Hit West NC
BigRichard 03:18 PM Yesterday
Lets see what Chiefsplanet says on this one...

We have an Airbnb up in Western North Carolina where hurricane Helene hit and has done so much damage. We rented to a lady who chose to pick a non-refundable purchase which gave her a discount at the time of her booking. We are currently up and operational minus our hot tub. We are not filling those for a number of reasons due to the issues with Helene and our renters' agreements states we do not give refunds for things of that nature. Her stay isn't until the 20th and it is about a $1100 payout.

The guest asked for a full refund because she doesn't want to travel here, and she is stating she can't get here but she can. She may have to take a slight detour from the normal route but she can get here.

Airbnb has stated we don't have to give her any type of refund since she did select the non-refundable option. Would you give the full refund? Half a refund? None of it?

We have given others full refunds and/or credit for other stays but she is the only one who got a discount for booking as non-refundable.
[Reply]
BigRichard 05:47 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by UteChief:
Could you give her a credit for a future stay? While she may be able to stay there now, there may be little to do in the affected area.
We can do this with other guests(and did with several booking) depending on how they booked... we tend not to do this when the booking was through Airbnb. No other way to book allows non-refundable either though. Airbnb just make things difficult to work outside of their channels.
[Reply]
007 05:48 PM Yesterday
50%
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 05:50 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Did you book it as non-refundable? Asking for a friend?
It was non refundable. The woman just wasn’t a jackass.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 05:52 PM Yesterday
Oh... so you assumed what I did or planned on doing. Got it. So you are instant dumbass. Thanks!
If you were going to do the right thing you wouldn’t have started a thread asking for validation.
[Reply]
BigRichard 05:52 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
It was non refundable. The woman just wasn’t a jackass.
I am sure it was.:-)
[Reply]
BigRichard 05:53 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
If you were going to do the right thing you wouldn’t have started a thread asking for validation.
Instant dumbass!
[Reply]
scho63 05:55 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I’d explain to her that you aren’t required to issue any refund by contract, but as a courtesy you will refund half of the cost or provide an option to have the 1100 stay in her account as a credit for a future stay that will be good for 1 year from the original date of booking.
I'm changing my answer to this. :-)
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 05:55 PM Yesterday
Instant dumbass!
Your responses prove me right. Best of luck in whatever decision you make and may karma answer you back.
[Reply]
tmax63 05:55 PM Yesterday
Shit like this doesn't happen that often. We were getting 2 amazon parrots shipped from south Texas to Colorado on 9/11 and they got grounded in route. The holding place that took care of them until we could get back on their way charged us $150 for a $5 bag of parrot food and some grapes. Haven't forgotten it yet. Do the right thing and refund her money. It wasn't her fault the hurricane blew through and as someone said earlier, word of mouth can be the best advertising or the worst. Treat her like you would want to be treated if you were in her shoes. Karma is real.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 05:55 PM Yesterday
I really cannot get on board with the tailgate fraud comparison that some are throwing around. We are not talking about the purchaser driving up to the address of the Airbnb to find an empty lot. If that were the case, then the comparison would have plenty of merit, otherwise these are two totally separate issues.

To my mind, this issue is fairly cut and dry: a hurricane is a legitimate reason to waive a no cancellation policy. Even if the house is in good order, what is the area as a whole dealing with? If this is just a little vacation (admittedly assuming here) is there much to do in the area at this point? Does the community even want tourists or would they just be in the way? Granted, I don't know what the extent of the damage is in that area so I am just addressing some possibilities.

Regardless of all the specifics, it just seems like, at the very least, good business sense to grant a refund minus whatever fees may be at play.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 06:00 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Raiderhater:
I really cannot get on board with the tailgate fraud comparison that some are throwing around. We are not talking about the purchaser driving up to the address of the Airbnb to find an empty lot. If that were the case, then the comparison would have plenty of merit, otherwise these are two totally separate issues.

To my mind, this issue is fairly cut and dry: a hurricane is a legitimate reason to waive a no cancellation policy. Even if the house is in good order, what is the area as a whole dealing with? If this is just a little vacation (admittedly assuming here) is there much to do in the area at this point? Does the community even want tourists or would they just be in the way? Granted, I don't know what the extent of the damage is in that area so I am just addressing some possibilities.

Regardless of all the specifics, it just seems like, at the very least, good business sense to grant a refund minus whatever fees may be at play.
^
[Reply]
ptlyon 06:00 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by tmax63:
Shit like this doesn't happen that often. We were getting 2 amazon parrots shipped from south Texas to Colorado on 9/11 and they got grounded in route. The holding place that took care of them until we could get back on their way charged us $150 for a $5 bag of parrot food and some grapes. Haven't forgotten it yet. Do the right thing and refund her money. It wasn't her fault the hurricane blew through and as someone said earlier, word of mouth can be the best advertising or the worst. Treat her like you would want to be treated if you were in her shoes. Karma is real.
Side bar: Did you teach the parrots to say "**** the broncos"?
[Reply]
BigRichard 06:03 PM Yesterday
If nothing else this thread shows me there are a few people that run businesses or would make good business managers and think things through.

On the other hand I wouldn't trust either Jewis Rabbi or ptlyon to run a donut shop next to a police station.
[Reply]
ptlyon 06:05 PM Yesterday
If nothing else this thread shows me there are a few people that run businesses or would make good business managers and think things through.

On the other hand I wouldn't trust either Jewis Rabbi or ptlyon to run a donut shop next to a police station.
So "Kill your parents, fuck your friends, and have a nice day" is your motto huh?
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 06:05 PM Yesterday
A good guy would give the refund but.....
She had a chance to choose to add cancellation insurance but chose not to spend the extra 10%. I would explain it as such and give her 50% back. Doing so you are only 1/2 a "Richard" and she only got bent over half way.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Up