Page 38 of 940
« First < 283435363738 394041424888138538 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:38 PM 01-09-2017
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
Yes, you can. You cannot sell naked puts or calls, because the unlimited potential for loss constitutes indirect borrowing from the IRA, which is a prohibited transaction.

When you purchase puts and calls, you have a limited potential loss of your initial investment.
IRA OR ROTH?

I have no such options for individual trades in my ROTH that I can tell. Just mutual funds and indexes.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:40 PM 01-09-2017
Some mentioned healthcare and it's actually an area that was fairly stable in 2016 and lagged a bit IMO. Still 20-30% down from its peak in 2015 in many areas.
[Reply]
scho63 05:46 PM 01-09-2017
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
Don't worry about the money you didn't make. I scoped out NVDA 6 months ago and didn't put in a dime. Dumb. Have to move on.

I try to stay away from long options as much as I can. I am not a big fan of having a significant amount of money tied up for a long period of time without a dividend. Having said that, they definitely have there place to make money. Been looking long call options on MU at 25 but have not pulled the trigger.
What I like about some longer term options is when I'm certain a stock is ready for a move up but timing is suspect. So if I can buy an option on a high priced stock and get some decent leverage, I'll buy 5-10 of them.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:00 PM 01-09-2017
Don't worry about the money you didn't make. I scoped out NVDA 6 months ago and didn't put in a dime. Dumb. Have to move on.

I try to stay away from long options as much as I can. I am not a big fan of having a significant amount of money tied up for a long period of time without a dividend. Having said that, they definitely have there place to make money. Been looking long call options on MU at 25 but have not pulled the trigger.
So you rather take minimal capital into a low cost stock that has a chance to increase greatly percentage wise in the short term? More speculating than investing as some would say?

Can also be a risky play as many of those companies have high volatility. If this is your strategy, where do you research most of these companies.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 11:47 PM 01-09-2017
Originally Posted by scho63:
What I like about some longer term options is when I'm certain a stock is ready for a move up but timing is suspect. So if I can buy an option on a high priced stock and get some decent leverage, I'll buy 5-10 of them.
That can get real expensive, real quick.

1yr call options on AMZN at 810 runs 93k for 10 contracts. That seems a lot of capital to me to to tie up for potentially one year with no dividend. Why not just buy cheaper stocks and sell covered calls if you are going to spend that kind of money?

Of course you could go maybe further out of the money. Let's say 10 contracts of 900 calls will still cost you over 57k.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 11:56 PM 01-09-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
So you rather take minimal capital into a low cost stock that has a chance to increase greatly percentage wise in the short term? More speculating than investing as some would say?

Can also be a risky play as many of those companies have high volatility. If this is your strategy, where do you research most of these companies.

I guess I consider it more like playing poker. Knowing when to get out.

I watch everything like everyone else. I watch the charts daily. I use Worden TC2000. Pay attention to the news. That is pretty much it. Sometimes I will watch afterhours and premarket trading.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 12:02 AM 01-10-2017
IRA OR ROTH?

I have no such options for individual trades in my ROTH that I can tell. Just mutual funds and indexes.
Mine is in a self directed Roth Ira account at scottrade. You have to apply to get access to option trading.
[Reply]
scho63 11:26 AM 01-10-2017
That can get real expensive, real quick.

1yr call options on AMZN at 810 runs 93k for 10 contracts. That seems a lot of capital to me to to tie up for potentially one year with no dividend. Why not just buy cheaper stocks and sell covered calls if you are going to spend that kind of money?

Of course you could go maybe further out of the money. Let's say 10 contracts of 900 calls will still cost you over 57k.
I try to buy something way out of the money 2-3 years away. Any stock over $250 per share and the ones over $500 are going to be crazy expensive.

I'll look for something maybe $50-75 a share that has potential for a $10+ or more move.

Oil companies look good right now for some of this IMHO
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 12:12 PM 01-10-2017
Originally Posted by scho63:
I try to buy something way out of the money 2-3 years away. Any stock over $250 per share and the ones over $500 are going to be crazy expensive.

I'll look for something maybe $50-75 a share that has potential for a $10+ or more move.

Oil companies look good right now for some of this IMHO
My uncle and father love playing that way. I have seen them lose money and make money. But damn does it not tie up a lot of money that could be making money elsewhere. They are looking for big paydays. I look at it as daily bread.

Him and my father do not like the way I trade very much. They think I take a lot of time sensitive risks. I will buy options with 3 days expiration if they are cheap. My call this week of course was a no brainer with BAC. Monday morning I bought in at .36. Just sold out at .58. 100 contracts, 1 day. You can do that addition I m sure. Didn't even make it to the earnings like I thought. I at least thought it wouldn't be till Friday to hit 23. I was wrong, it was today. Don't care too much if I potentially left anything on the table either. I made money. That is the whole point. Trying to make daily money. Not watch an option go up and down for 2 yrs. That shit would drive me insane.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 12:24 PM 01-10-2017
I am not bullish on oil at all right now. I think we struggle to get over 55 and on towards 60. Too much blustering BS going on with pumping nations. All of them are pumping more they they say. And I don't see it ending anytime soon. I do not think we will see the gains on oil like we saw last year. Of course I could be very wrong and oil make another 45% gain this year.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:30 PM 01-10-2017
My uncle and father love playing that way. I have seen them lose money and make money. But damn does it not tie up a lot of money that could be making money elsewhere. They are looking for big paydays. I look at it as daily bread.

Him and my father do not like the way I trade very much. They think I take a lot of time sensitive risks. I will buy options with 3 days expiration if they are cheap. My call this week of course was a no brainer with BAC. Monday morning I bought in at .36. Just sold out at .58. 100 contracts, 1 day. You can do that addition I m sure. Didn't even make it to the earnings like I thought. I at least thought it wouldn't be till Friday to hit 23. I was wrong, it was today. Don't care too much if I potentially left anything on the table either. I made money. That is the whole point. Trying to make daily money. Not watch an option go up and down for 2 yrs. That shit would drive me insane.
I'm not embarrassed to admit but this is way over my head.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:32 PM 01-10-2017
Yeah, I'm a man of simple strategies. I just buy stocks, nothing else.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 07:56 PM 01-10-2017
I made a $3600 investment in Monday that expired on Jan. 27th. I cashed out with $5800 on Tuesday with that one position. I'm sure that is not over your head.

And boy do I wish everyday is like that. But unfortunately it is not. Options are just a fun game I like to play.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 12:35 PM 01-11-2017
Just bought back into BAC. 23 calls, expire on Jan 20th. Paid .39.

Pretty much same position as last, just a week less time. Same strategy. Be out of them by this Friday morning.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:02 PM 01-11-2017
Just bought back into BAC. 23 calls, expire on Jan 20th. Paid .39.

Pretty much same position as last, just a week less time. Same strategy. Be out of them by this Friday morning.
Is this trading your main source of income?
[Reply]
Page 38 of 940
« First < 283435363738 394041424888138538 > Last »
Up