ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Tips For Dealing With Poison Ivy
Easy 6 02:03 PM 07-07-2024
Anyone have any good advice?

Been battling this shit for over a week, every time it starts looking/feeling like its going away it comes roaring right back... the more calamine lotion I put on it, the worse it seemingly gets

Even have this shit on my junk :-)

I'm considering scratching all of it wide open raw, then dousing it all with rubbing alcohol... but thats gonna burn like hell
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 07:00 PM 07-07-2024
I'm highly allergic to the stuff.

First... unless you are being exposed to the urushiol repeatedly it shouldn't be coming back. Because of this I would suggest hitting up your doc and asking for a z-pak.

If your wounds are weeping like crazy... all you can really do is stuff like calamine to basically sop up the goo your wounds are weeping.

As for the itching. This works best if you have a detatcheable shower head but if you haven't figured this out yet then I'm about to blow your mind. Turn the water on as hot as you can possibly stand it. I mean... to the point where you are wondering if you are possibly causing damage to your skin and nerves. Then run that shower head over the poison ivy wounds.

Fucking heaven. Orgasmic. It is the most toe curling and intense feeling I have ever experienced at my own hands. So even though it sucks to have poison ivy there is, at least, a small silver lining to the experience.

[Reply]
Easy 6 07:11 PM 07-07-2024
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:

First... unless you are being exposed to the urushiol repeatedly it shouldn't be coming back. Because of this I would suggest hitting up your doc and asking for a z-pak.

If your wounds are weeping like crazy... all you can really do is stuff like calamine to basically sop up the goo your wounds are weeping.

As for the itching. This works best if you have a detatcheable shower head but if you haven't figured this out yet then I'm about to blow your mind. Turn the water on as hot as you can possibly stand it. I mean... to the point where you are wondering if you are possibly causing damage to your skin and nerves. Then run that shower head over the poison ivy wounds.

Fucking heaven. Orgasmic. It is the most toe curling and intense feeling I have ever experienced at my own hands. So even though it sucks to have poison ivy there is, at least, a small silver lining to the experience.

The last time I had this 15-17 years ago that heat treatment was exactly what I did to to it... I'd have two hand towels boiling, swapping them in an out and laying on my legs

After steaming it to death I'd then apply the meds

And yeah, there is absolutely something orgiastic about scratching the shit out of it, fuck doctors warnings about spreading it around it just feels TOO good, talk about an endorphin/dopamine rush

I'll keep scratching, and use soapy water under my nails afterwards
[Reply]
Graystoke 07:27 PM 07-07-2024
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:

This is a pretty good tip. I used to get ivy/oak so bad it would weep, itch and scar.

Now I use these before and after possible contact. Haven’t had poison ivy since and I’m in the woods all the time.
This won’t help your current situation as this is preemptive.

[Reply]
Hark Clunt 07:33 PM 07-07-2024
it's bad for your skin and you shouldn't do it excessively, but running hot water over the rash is like the best thing at getting rid of the itch.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:34 PM 07-07-2024
salt water pool
[Reply]
staylor26 07:37 PM 07-07-2024
I'd call Batman. He has a lot of experience with her.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:38 PM 07-07-2024
Originally Posted by MarkDavis'Haircut:
Call Batman
:-)

I didn't see this until after I posted and went back.
[Reply]
cabletech94 07:44 PM 07-07-2024
Too many responses, didn’t read em all.
Go to a doctor, walk in care, whatever. Get a steroid shot. Gone the next day. Poison ivy, oak, sumac, all is just the worst. You shouldn’t have waited so long to ask CP. Also, wash any clothes that may have made contact. Had a doctor friend who got ivy a year later after setting on the same blanket from a year before. Yikes!!
Good luck.
[Reply]
phisherman 07:54 PM 07-07-2024
I always used a spray called Ivy Dry. It kills the itch and dries out the rash and then once the rash really dries out, the spray will do this dual cold/burn thing that feels really awesome.
[Reply]
Eureka 08:19 PM 07-07-2024
I'm glad I don't get affected by that stuff.

Out at the river one day I rubbed poison oak leaves all over my arms in front of everyone claiming I didn't get it. Well a few hours later after some drinking I get into an altercation with a classmate and it ends with me holding him in a choke hold. He was in the ER a few days later with poison Ivy all over but it was the worst on his neck. I had no reaction to it at all.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 08:24 PM 07-07-2024
Originally Posted by Eureka:
I'm glad I don't get affected by that stuff.

Out at the river one day I rubbed poison oak leaves all over my arms in front of everyone claiming I didn't get it. Well a few hours later after some drinking I get into an altercation with a classmate and it ends with me holding him in a choke hold. He was in the ER a few days later with poison Ivy all over but it was the worst on his neck. I had no reaction to it at all.
When I was about 12, I had a friend that told me he wasn't allergic to poison ivy and rubbed it all over himself. The results were not good. My own experience has been that my reaction is variable, sometimes, I don't react at all and others it's a shit storm.

I've used Calagell successfully. It's most important to get rid of the oils before your body reacts to them.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:45 PM 07-07-2024
I find not hitting my golf ball into the shit helps. Or wearing pants.
[Reply]
tooge 09:01 PM 07-07-2024
Epsom salt bath works well. Also a salve of wild plantain leaves, salt, water rubbed on will stop itching
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:08 PM 07-07-2024
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Yeah good ol mom is pushing me to go do that, but what a pain in the dick :-)

But I just might if he'll do it over the phone, instead of making me come to the office

I'm strongly considering it
Check with your insurance provider. Most of them are partnered with a telehealth app and you can do your appt over your phone with little to no cost to you. Or try GoodRx and get an appt through there. Get the free trial of GoodRX gold and you can get an appt for like $15-$20.

Here's the link! You could do an appt tonight probably and have the medicine in the AM.

https://www.goodrx.com/care?utm_camp...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:09 PM 07-07-2024
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
When I was about 12, I had a friend that told me he wasn't allergic to poison ivy and rubbed it all over himself. The results were not good. My own experience has been that my reaction is variable, sometimes, I don't react at all and others it's a shit storm.

I've used Calagell successfully. It's most important to get rid of the oils before your body reacts to them.
I've never had poison ivy. I have done the rub the leaf all over my body and have never gotten it.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up