ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Andy Reid called me, and he asked CP to fix the offense.
Direckshun 07:39 AM Today
I think we can all agree the offense has not been up to par this season.

At this point, there's only so much we can do about it. Our best WR got injured and is missing the season, our best RB is out until December, our LT situation is messy and our stud TE is looking his age.

So, is this who we are now? Is 30 points a game a distant memory?

What can be done?

(Andy Reid is lurking in this thread, so make sure you're on your best behavior.)
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:18 AM Today
Perine OTOH doesn't look like he'll amount to much. Maybe it'll get better once he's more acclimated to the offense but he'll still be old, slow, and not able to fight through much contact.
[Reply]
-King- 08:18 AM Today
Originally Posted by O.city:
Steele looked just as good as Pacheco to me last noght
Pacheco has always just been a good running back. Good, but not as good as he's hyped. I was never worried about the running game missing a beat with him gone.
[Reply]
Hoover 08:18 AM Today
So when the LA Rams focus their offense through one receiver, McVay is a genius.

The first three weeks of the season have proved that Rice can (and maybe should be) the focus of the offense. What should be encouraging is that we have tried and true options if he's not available in Kelce and Juju.

LT is an issue. Pat' s obviously not confident that they will hold up so he's not taking those deep shots like we all want to see.

I think Worthey needs to be used in motion more, but that will come as Pat get more confident in those LTs.

I think the problem is that we fuck around on the goal line. We get down there and act like he are. smash mouth team, and were not. I think last night we really wanted to get the rookie a TD. That's nice, but we tend to be forcing it. Throw it on 1st down. If we are within a yard or two then run it. These runs on 1st and 2nd down do nothing for me. When we score TDs we really mess with the other team. One TD instead of a FG last night alters the flow of the game. Which is true about all of our games this year.
[Reply]
notorious 08:19 AM Today
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I would like to see them actually throw the ball into the end zone when they get past the 10 yard line. YAC is really hard there.
They do. Pat threw an INT throwing into the end zone last night.
[Reply]
-King- 08:21 AM Today
Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch:
Perine OTOH doesn't look like he'll amount to much. Maybe it'll get better once he's more acclimated to the offense but he'll still be old, slow, and not able to fight through much contact.
They're using him weird. You'd think they'd try to take advantage of his pass catching abilities. But nope, run right down the middle every running back. He still had the same ypc as Steele though.
[Reply]
O.city 08:27 AM Today
The running backs looked fine to me

Qb needs to play better. Confident that’ll happen
[Reply]
Gravedigger 08:27 AM Today
Some play calls just don't end up working out, are poorly timed and improperly executed. You take away Patrick's interception in the endzone and we're looking at a 25/29/30 - 10/13/17 final score victory which is what most of us predicted in earlier threads. The offense was fine last night, they just made it annoyingly uncomfortable at the end which is par for our course this season and in years past. It's been a long time since the years of dominance Patrick used to unleash, you could say that the league has caught up to his tendencies which is why in his press conference he said he needs to go back to fundamentals. Our team may be young, but that youth brings inexperience and the critical role-players in between are older. Yes I'd love to see scorched earth Patrick like we saw scorched earth Brady back in 2008, but those years, like his first year starting, are exceptions, not the rule. Last year we were fine with "at least we won" so we shouldn't expect much different this year, the first three games tell you who we are. We'll see what record we go into the bye week with, see how we come out of the bye week, and hopefully stay healthy for the second half of the season going into the playoffs. Still hoping for 20-0 so until it doesn't happen, we're still on that train to New Orleans! If they were going to do something, trading for Amari Cooper or Darnell Mooney or Terry McLaurin if those teams seasons continue falling, would be a welcome addition from my viewpoint, but we say this stuff every year that we should trade before the deadline and almost every year we ride with what we have, I would expect we're riding with Kareem Hunt and Samaje Perine as our acquisitions unless Rashee Rice's suspension comes down at an inopportune time.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:27 AM Today
Not a ton to do, really.

Trade for Dionte Johnson?

This offense without Brown and with a diminished Kelce is going to look a lot like last season's offense most weeks. This year's version of Rice/Kelce is about the same as last year's version of Rice/Kelce with the priorities/roles reversed.

The OL is roughly the same with Morris being similar to Smith and Kingsley being...spotty.

Worthy is an obvious upgrade on MVS but isn't in the structure of the offense yet.

This offense is going to be a lot like last season in that it's going to look as good as PM looks. If Mahomes hits a couple of those balls he missed (the Worthy deep shot was EASILY the worst; he's gotta put that ball out there and let Worthy run to it), the offense looks better.

And we've said that the last three weeks (and several times last season). "Well if X interception or Y missed shot doesn't happen, the offensive production is great..."

How to we fix the offense? Well...stop X interception or Y missed shot. And ultimately that's gonna be on Pat.

I really don't think there's any cavalry coming. The offense will excel when Patrick plays at an MVP level. To this point he hasn't done that. He's had maybe 2 or 3 quarters where he's played at that level. He's made 3 or 4 MVP caliber throws. But he's made as many completely baffling ones.

The offense is struggling a bit because PM is struggling a bit. And that's the nature of the beast when you have a generational QB.

The good news is that a struggling Patrick goes 3-0 against three quality teams because he's not a guy that's going to melt down. So we keep winning ugly until he finds his form.

History says he will.
[Reply]
Kman34 08:28 AM Today
Hi Andy!!! Don’t listen to any of these idiots..
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:29 AM Today
Originally Posted by -King-:
They're using him weird. You'd think they'd try to take advantage of his pass catching abilities. But nope, run right down the middle every running back. He still had the same ypc as Steele though.
Eh - he's looked really slow. He was never explosive but he's looking slower still.

I've been pretty disappointed in him to this point.
[Reply]
-King- 08:29 AM Today
This could be attributed to line play but it has been a trend since Nagy came back but we run too many 1 read plays. Too many times it looks like the play is designed to go to one receiver and one receiver only which I think has killed Mahomes' creativity and his ability to hit all 3 levels of the defense. Fuck what the defense is doing, we need to open the offense back up again.
[Reply]
tredadda 08:31 AM Today
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Genuine question: is Kelce looking his age?

Mahomes and Reid both have said in various pressers (including last night) that teams are focusing their efforts on stopping Travis, and that’s why Rice is killing it.

My guess is it’s a mix of both.
I don’t think he’s showing his age as much as he seems distracted and not fully committed anymore. Not expecting 100 catch/1000 yard seasons anymore but he should be producing more than he currently is.

Teams have been focusing on stopping him for years and failed. Look at last year when he was practically the only receiving threat this team had until Rice emerged. He still produced at a high level, especially in the playoffs.
[Reply]
notorious 08:31 AM Today
Why do I get the feeling there was a lot of heavy breathing and chewing in the background?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:33 AM Today
Originally Posted by -King-:
This could be attributed to line play but it has been a trend since Nagy came back but we run too many 1 read plays. Too many times it looks like the play is designed to go to one receiver and one receiver only which I think has killed Mahomes' creativity and his ability to hit all 3 levels of the defense. Fuck what the defense is doing, we need to open the offense back up again.
We've been running those plays for years. It's not on Nagy.

But they're all on tape now. They just don't work as well.

That bootleg left that ended with a throwaway in the red-zone was a middle screen to Kelce and we've run that 50 times over the years. This time they camped on it so Mahomes had to just try to come up with a plan B.

We're not running any more 1-read plays than we ever have - teams have just seen 'em. They're just not working. Some of it comes from trying to hold things back but some of it's just a little offensive stasis.

Think about it - for the last decade or so, every year the offense started the year looking quite a bit different than the year before. At least some sort of significant variation on the theme.

Have we seen that the last 2-3 years? I really don't feel like we have. The offense is looking a LOT like it looked going back to 2022. We haven't had many new wrinkles added that I can see.

We've just gotten a little stale and that's going to show up the most in close spaces inside the 10 yard line when improvisation becomes all the more difficult.
[Reply]
-King- 08:39 AM Today
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
We've been running those plays for years. It's not on Nagy.

But they're all on tape now. They just don't work as well.

That bootleg left that ended with a throwaway in the red-zone was a middle screen to Kelce and we've run that 50 times over the years. This time they camped on it so Mahomes had to just try to come up with a plan B.

We're not running any more 1-read plays than we ever have - teams have just seen 'em. They're just not working. Some of it comes from trying to hold things back but some of it's just a little offensive stasis.

Think about it - for the last decade or so, every year the offense started the year looking quite a bit different than the year before. At least some sort of significant variation on the theme.

Have we seen that the last 2-3 years? I really don't feel like we have. The offense is looking a LOT like it looked going back to 2022. We haven't had many new wrinkles added that I can see.

We've just gotten a little stale and that's going to show up the most in close spaces inside the 10 yard line when improvisation becomes all the more difficult.
I do feel like we don't run as many route variations and try to truly attack all levels of the field on each play like we used to in 2018-2022 but that's true.

Which is why my 100% never going to happen wet dream would be for Ben Johnson to accept a head coach in waiting job here. Would love to see Mahomes in his scheme.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up