ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Should I Grant A Full Refund On A Non Refundable Airbnb Rental in Helene Hit West NC
BigRichard 03:18 PM Yesterday
Lets see what Chiefsplanet says on this one...

We have an Airbnb up in Western North Carolina where hurricane Helene hit and has done so much damage. We rented to a lady who chose to pick a non-refundable purchase which gave her a discount at the time of her booking. We are currently up and operational minus our hot tub. We are not filling those for a number of reasons due to the issues with Helene and our renters' agreements states we do not give refunds for things of that nature. Her stay isn't until the 20th and it is about a $1100 payout.

The guest asked for a full refund because she doesn't want to travel here, and she is stating she can't get here but she can. She may have to take a slight detour from the normal route but she can get here.

Airbnb has stated we don't have to give her any type of refund since she did select the non-refundable option. Would you give the full refund? Half a refund? None of it?

We have given others full refunds and/or credit for other stays but she is the only one who got a discount for booking as non-refundable.
[Reply]
farmerchief 04:18 PM Yesterday
I have a friend that has an Airbnb in the Florida panhandle. I’ve heard him say several times how he is always concerned with the reviews his renters leave on website, after their stay. He does everything in his power to make sure they are happy, and satisfied with their encounter. I’m sure he would offer her some type of refund, that both parties would be satisfied with. In my opinion, you would reap positive benefits, if you can keep her somewhat satisfied.
[Reply]
PatMahomesIsGod 04:23 PM Yesterday
Stiff the lady.

You know your cheap ass wants to.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:25 PM Yesterday
Give her a refund minus the rebooking fee and the discount she received.
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:38 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by farmerchief:
I have a friend that has an Airbnb in the Florida panhandle. I’ve heard him say several times how he is always concerned with the reviews his renters leave on website, after their stay. He does everything in his power to make sure they are happy, and satisfied with their encounter. I’m sure he would offer her some type of refund, that both parties would be satisfied with. In my opinion, you would reap positive benefits, if you can keep her somewhat satisfied.
Good point, a review that basically says "don't book here, if anything goes wrong - up to including a fucking hurricane that destroys the town - the owner will keep your money" ...probably isn't great for future business.

And even if you rebook for a measly $60/night or whatever, at least you get a little money back if people need a place to live or need a place to stay to help with the recovery (and probably the great reviews that would come with it).
[Reply]
SHOWTIME 04:47 PM Yesterday
$1100 is not much of a payout for this to be a big deal....
[Reply]
scho63 04:50 PM Yesterday
The media has done an incredibly horrible job telling people how bad it really is.

So many deaths. Such a tragedy.
[Reply]
stumppy 05:06 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I'd say refund minus whatever fees on your end, as I'd really hope someone would do the same if I was in that situation.
This.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 05:09 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I’d explain to her that you aren’t required to issue any refund by contract, but as a courtesy you will refund half of the cost or provide an option to have the 1100 stay in her account as a credit for a future stay that will be good for 1 year from the original date of booking.
^THIS^ more than fair. Shoot FEMA will probably book it for 3x the rate.
[Reply]
BigRichard 05:19 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
So you’re pissed you lost out on $40, but have no problem charging this lady $1100 after a hurricane came thru and caused enough damage for you to admit she would have to take a different route to get there?
Oh... so you assumed what I did or planned on doing. Got it. So you are instant dumbass. Thanks!
[Reply]
BigRichard 05:20 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Attended a bachelor party recently where we had to cancel because groom’s father had a heart attack. This was the solution, not Air B&B owner pocketing the money.
Did you book it as non-refundable? Asking for a friend?
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 05:26 PM Yesterday
This is a test for your character after the tail gate incident. Are you better than that or a hypocrite? Up to you.
[Reply]
stumppy 05:33 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I’d explain to her that you aren’t required to issue any refund by contract, but as a courtesy you will refund half of the cost or provide an option to have the 1100 stay in her account as a credit for a future stay that will be good for 1 year from the original date of booking.
Or this.
[Reply]
ptlyon 05:37 PM Yesterday
Guess one question is how many people have you screwed over that also did the non-refundable
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 05:42 PM Yesterday
Refund. It’s only money, and you’ll see it again.
[Reply]
UteChief 05:43 PM Yesterday
Could you give her a credit for a future stay? While she may be able to stay there now, there may be little to do in the affected area.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up