Page 29 of 940
« First < 192526272829 303132333979129529 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:37 PM 09-19-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Don't change your investments based on who wins. It's largely uncorrelated when calculated for a president's full term. Political parties don't really effect the market. We've had great and bad times with both parties at the helm.
No, but I feel confident that a Trump election would make volatility spike and stay spiked for a while.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:41 PM 09-19-2016
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
No, but I feel confident that a Trump election would make volatility spike and stay spiked for a while.
Fine with me. Are you retiring soon?

I'd like a stock sale. But I think volatility will be high regardless of who wins this election given both candidates.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 05:49 PM 09-21-2016
non shocker? rates didn't move.
[Reply]
scho63 06:15 PM 09-21-2016
I think the market is way overdue for a correction and these lower than low rates are like a loaded spring.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:26 PM 09-21-2016
The paperwork for a simple mortgage refinance has been insane. Should be closing fairly soon though. The loan company waived our appraisal, as they determined we already have enough equity in the house to refinance without someone having to look at the property and determine it's value. So that's a bonus.
[Reply]
scho63 07:41 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
The paperwork for a simple mortgage refinance has been insane. Should be closing fairly soon though. The loan company waived our appraisal, as they determined we already have enough equity in the house to refinance without someone having to look at the property and determine it's value. So that's a bonus.
What was the factor behind the refinance if you don't mind me asking?

Rates have been so low for so long not sure how you reduce payments anymore or were you looking to take out equity to do something else with the money? :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 07:53 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by scho63:

Rates have been so low for so long not sure how you reduce payments anymore or were you looking to take out equity to do something else with the money? :-)
When we bought the house 3 years ago, we only got approved for a 4.625% rate, I think because of my wife's lowish credit score of 720. I also didn't do any shopping around, so that probably didn't help. I checked into refinancing last month with rates being at record lows and they ran a credit report and with our credit now, 790 and 805, they said they could knock a full 1% off our interest rate. We plan to stay in this house long term, so it's just a play to pay less interest over the life of the loan. Our mortgage payment is very comfortable for us, so we will continue paying what we pay now, maybe even a little more, to pay off the house sooner and with the refinance, save on interest over the life of the loan.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:54 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by scho63:

When I did mine a few years ago I picked up a shorter term and was able to reduce the rate significantly enough.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 11:57 PM 09-21-2016
I have two new books. How to Crush it...and Built to Last.
[Reply]
El Jefe 07:25 AM 09-22-2016
Anyone have any good recommendations on where to put money you are taking out of Savings? My local PNC is closing, so I am taking all my savings out, and I am going to take it somewhere. I should have done it a while ago, because the interest rate is a joke. I guess I kind of worried putting it somewhere else where I don't have quick access to it.
[Reply]
El Jefe 07:26 AM 09-22-2016
^I have a cash reserve at my house that is instantly available, so if it took a couple days to access my funds, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:19 AM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by El Jefe:
Anyone have any good recommendations on where to put money you are taking out of Savings? My local PNC is closing, so I am taking all my savings out, and I am going to take it somewhere. I should have done it a while ago, because the interest rate is a joke. I guess I kind of worried putting it somewhere else where I don't have quick access to it.
There are a number of "high interest" savings accounts out there online. They're still pretty crummy in terms of interest rates (generally 0.5%-1.0%), but it's better than what you'll get at a brick and mortar bank. I'm using Discover Savings right now (1.0%), and I've used Capital One 360 previously (0.75%). Both are really easy to start and use. Transfers between that and your checking account usually take 2-3 days or so.
[Reply]
Amnorix 09:06 AM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
There are a number of "high interest" savings accounts out there online. They're still pretty crummy in terms of interest rates (generally 0.5%-1.0%), but it's better than what you'll get at a brick and mortar bank. I'm using Discover Savings right now (1.0%), and I've used Capital One 360 previously (0.75%). Both are really easy to start and use. Transfers between that and your checking account usually take 2-3 days or so.

I don't know anything abuot Discover Savings. I've been with Capital One for many years now (probably 15 or so) for most of my "loose" cash, and it's been pretty great overall. Much better interest rates on a regular account than you can even get on CDs at most other banks.
[Reply]
scho63 09:12 AM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by El Jefe:
1. Take it all out of the bank

2. Combine it with the other cash you have socked away

3. Put it all under your mattress

4. PM me your address and wait for me to stop by and explain the best way to invest it. :-)
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 09:48 AM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
I don't know anything abuot Discover Savings. I've been with Capital One for many years now (probably 15 or so) for most of my "loose" cash, and it's been pretty great overall. Much better interest rates on a regular account than you can even get on CDs at most other banks.
I've used Capital One previously, never used Discover. Ally Bank I think gives 1% on savings and they reimburse up to $12 in ATM fees/month.

[Reply]
Page 29 of 940
« First < 192526272829 303132333979129529 > Last »
Up