ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 27 of 48
« First < 172324252627 2829303137 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Child dies at Schlitterbahn in KCK
tk13 03:29 PM 08-07-2016
This is horrifying. Supposed to be a press conference soon with more details. Rumors seem to indicate it happened on the Verrukt, the world's tallest waterslide.

Boy, 12, killed in accident at Schlitterbahn Water Park in Kansas City, Kan., police say. https://t.co/Msn6QJO1ZS pic.twitter.com/gse0gZvIC6

— Alex Johnson (@MAlexJohnson) August 7, 2016

[Reply]
SAUTO 05:34 PM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
If I ask something ominous, but leave it as an open question, can I garner the support of those who simply assume the question to be a statement of fact while remaining inoculated from the burden of actually establishing said fact?

Oops!!
I'm pretty sure there's a quote somewhere where they said they settled on ks because they didn't have height regulations.
[Reply]
srvy 05:40 PM 07-10-2017
Also extreme shortage for carnival ride inspectors but never a shortage of kids waiting in line to ride. After a carnival in parking lot of a closed down Kmart by me a few years ago there was stains on the blacktop where hydraulic fluid had spewed and been sopped and swept up with oil dry all over the lot.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 09:51 PM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by srvy:
Also extreme shortage for carnival ride inspectors but never a shortage of kids waiting in line to ride. After a carnival in parking lot of a closed down Kmart by me a few years ago there was stains on the blacktop where hydraulic fluid had spewed and been sopped and swept up with oil dry all over the lot.
As long as they keep it full it doesn't matter how much runs out...
[Reply]
srvy 10:17 PM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
As long as they keep it full it doesn't matter how much runs out...
Not much chance to top off when the octopus is spinning like a bat out of hell. But your right it would probable only shut down the ride. Now lubrication of the moving parts and metal fatigue mose likely are the dangers along with restraining devices failing.
[Reply]
Fish 11:34 AM 03-23-2018
Schlitterbahn executive charged with manslaughter in 2016 death on water slide

A Schlitterbahn executive has been arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with the 2016 death of Caleb Schwab on the Verruckt water slide.

The Wyandotte County Sheriff's Office booking log shows that Tyler Austin Miles, who is listed as an operations director for Schlitterbahn, was booked into the county jail Friday morning. He is being held on a $50,000 bond.

It's the first criminal charges to be filed in connection with Schwab's death on what had been billed as the world's largest water slide in 2016.

[...]
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:52 AM 03-23-2018
What a senseless tragedy - they knew it had major design flaws from the start.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:55 AM 03-23-2018
I didn't realize they were looking to press charges over that.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:59 AM 03-23-2018
I fail to see how it is the fat chicks fault. Not their job to ensure safety of the ride. Not sure why fat chicks want to go to water park, but nonetheless, ridiculous notion it's the fatties fault. This is all on Schlitterbahn. When the thing didn't initially pass inspection, and then it got "greased" through. Didn't tons of us be like...umm...that doesn't sound safe..
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:24 PM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
Schlitterbahn executive charged with manslaughter in 2016 death on water slide

A Schlitterbahn executive has been arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with the 2016 death of Caleb Schwab on the Verruckt water slide.

The Wyandotte County Sheriff's Office booking log shows that Tyler Austin Miles, who is listed as an operations director for Schlitterbahn, was booked into the county jail Friday morning. He is being held on a $50,000 bond.

It's the first criminal charges to be filed in connection with Schwab's death on what had been billed as the world's largest water slide in 2016.

[...]
If the AG has a smoking gun, IE documentation that Miles knew there were serious design flaws/concerns and proceeded anyway, they definitely have a case.

It also makes me wonder if anyone higher up the ladder were aware of these issues. If I were running a big company, it wouldn't make sense to me to allow a branch to install a giant roller coaster without attaching the ****ing rafts and say "well, the director said it was safe, and I trust him!"
[Reply]
alpha_omega 12:34 PM 03-23-2018
Great...now could we please take the thing down. I hate seeing it.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:36 PM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
What a senseless tragedy - they knew it had major design flaws from the start.
No kidding. They have software that lets them know EXACTLY what happens with their design based on myriad variables. This never made sense.
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:14 PM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
No kidding. They have software that lets them know EXACTLY what happens with their design based on myriad variables. This never made sense.
Exactly, the laws of physics would dictate that a light craft with enough speed, would not be able to handle the angle of that hill.

That hill was the Major flaw from the beginning. They should have just had the raft go down into a wading pool of water.

I NEVER would have let my young children ride on that. Just the eye test should tell you it was unsafe. :-)
[Reply]
ChiefFanForHire 01:20 PM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
If the AG has a smoking gun, IE documentation that Miles knew there were serious design flaws/concerns and proceeded anyway, they definitely have a case.
I would support this 100 percent if I were on the jury and the evidence rang true. They can't exactly blame the $10 an hour employees working that day.

But I still can't believe the parents of that teenage girl who wiggled under the safety harness stood up on the Timberwolf and flew to her death in the 90s got 300k or whatever after World Of Fun settled. If they'd taken that one to case and I was jurying they wouldn't have gotten a dime.
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:22 PM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
I'm pretty sure there's a quote somewhere where they said they settled on ks because they didn't have height regulations.
I remember reading that as well. I have family that lives by the water park and I watched them build this thing. As soon as I saw them installing that hill- I told my wife that someone was going to die on that slide.

I figured it would be from flying off of it and hitting the concrete. It breaks my heart it was a little kid. Horrible. :-)
[Reply]
ChiefFanForHire 01:23 PM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
Great...now could we please take the thing down. I hate seeing it.
On the rare occasion I pass it it braings me sadness too - I wish I had ridden it first. Anyone who did has quite the feather in their cap, as far as a bucketlist of theme park rides is concerned.
[Reply]
Page 27 of 48
« First < 172324252627 2829303137 > Last »
Up