ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 23 of 82
« First < 131920212223 242526273373 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tourist(s) missing in submarine while trying to reach the Titannic
Ming the Merciless 10:45 AM 06-19-2023
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-coa...-sub-1.6446841

Originally Posted by :
A search and rescue operation is currently underway to locate a submarine that went missing during an expedition to the Titanic.
The U.S. Coast Guard was looking for the submarine Monday morning after it disappeared during the expedition from St. John's, N.L. The infamous 1912 wreck is located more than 600 kilometres southeast of the province in the North Atlantic Ocean.
The trip to the Titanic was being run by OceanGate Expeditions, a U.S.-based company. It uses a five-person submersible named Titan to reach the wreckage 3,800 metres below the surface. OceanGate's website advertises a seven-night voyage to the Titanic for US$250,000 per person, or approximately CA$330,000.
"We are exploring and mobilizing all options to bring the crew back safely," an OceanGate spokesperson said in an email to CTV News. "Our entire focus is on the crewmembers in the submersible and their families."

Those tours are a series of five eight-day missions to the Titanic with the money raised by tourists going towards Titanic research. Posts on social media show the ship launched from the St. John's area last week.

Did they really have 5 people in this?? Or do they have a larger version??

[Reply]
ptlyon 11:39 AM 06-21-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Maybe they were out of rope at Camper World.

Off topic slightly, but back when I was a college student we had a problem in our engineering coursework where we had to estimate the impact of a chain on a bucket that was being lowered. (It was some sort of deep-earth mining scenario in the problem statement.) It was kind of surprising how quickly the chain became a huge weight issue that impacted the power needed to get the chain back up, and the stresses at the top of the chain.
How was the bailing wire and JB Weld involved?
[Reply]
Spott 11:39 AM 06-21-2023
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The non-50-year-old-white-guys probably think ropes are too old school.
Who needs a long rope? That’s what wifi is for.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 11:41 AM 06-21-2023
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
We've reduced everything to one button. An elevator button.

uhhhhh I'm pressing the button and nothing is happening. What now?

Well, nothing. That's the button. It's streamlined.
Even the button is cheap.

Your basic billet button with an L.E.D ring that every off-brand auto accessory manufacturer makes. We've used them in some of our Mustang builds for push button starts etc.

My wholesale cost on that button is like $17. Hell, you could probably find it all day on Amazon for less.
[Reply]
Reroka 11:41 AM 06-21-2023
They really crushed it.
[Reply]
wazu 11:49 AM 06-21-2023
Somehow, of all the horrific details of this incident, this one is the most terrifying to me. Only positive is I'd be praying for death just to make it stop.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 12:08 PM 06-21-2023
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
I have a tough time being on a plane, where I can stand up and walk to the lav and back, for 7 or 8 hours - due to the claustrophobia of being belted in a chair that long.

I would be absolute bonkers in that sub right now. There isn't enough Xanax.
You know there are planes that you can do high knees on right?
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:14 PM 06-21-2023
omg

BOSTON (AP) - Coast Guard says sounds and banging noises heard from search area for Titanic submersible for second day.

— Jonathan Lemire (@JonLemire) June 21, 2023

[Reply]
ToxSocks 12:16 PM 06-21-2023
omg

I bet it's the sound of the sub banging against whatever it's stuck against.

This feels like a fruitless exercise.

Ok, lets say they found it. Now what?
[Reply]
FlaChief58 12:17 PM 06-21-2023
omg

Slowly suffocating does not sound like a pleasant way to go. Give me rapid decompression over that any day
[Reply]
Radar Chief 12:17 PM 06-21-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Babylon Bee? Cause it reads like a Bee title.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:21 PM 06-21-2023
omg

That's just the Orca's hitting it, they've moved on from yachts.
[Reply]
Fish 12:25 PM 06-21-2023
March 2018

[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:26 PM 06-21-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
In other words, "I want to hang out with young women that I have power over. The engineering is secondary."
Hah, yeah, that or just wanting to cut costs.

Tbh, I'd have to imagine the target audience for this sort of thing is 50-year old white dudes.

Like, if there's anywhere I want to see a 50-year old white dude, it's helping me at Home Depot or on a cramped submersible heading 8 miles below the surface 'cause paying $250,000 to do something like this is THE whitest shit ever.

EDIT: Just Googled it and the Titanic wreckage is only a little over 2 miles deep.

omg

Sound travels faster (and further?) under water, but I'd imagine that should help, no?
[Reply]
Rams Fan 12:28 PM 06-21-2023
Coast Guard update from 90 mins ago.

[Reply]
wazu 12:32 PM 06-21-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I bet it's the sound of the sub banging against whatever it's stuck against.

This feels like a fruitless exercise.

Ok, lets say they found it. Now what?
I thought yesterday it was on a 30 minute interval, so question would be is that still the case today. No idea what they do if they know where to go. I would assume if they had any ability to get down there with a vehicle that could potentially help anything, they'd already be doing it. In the movies they have lots of toys like this. Maybe they should call up the crew of "The Meg".
[Reply]
Page 23 of 82
« First < 131920212223 242526273373 > Last »
Up