Page 200 of 940
« First < 100150190196197198199200 201202203204210250300700 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:58 PM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
Regrettably, no. I am snakebit when it comes to biotech. :-)
LOl. I think it was at .02 at the time. Today its at .44

I bought and sold it several times but missed the big payday.

I'm too impatient and it's cost me millions.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:33 PM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I've got a JD 1020 for sale. 1973 model .
You’d have to pay me to take that.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:04 AM 07-03-2019
Might be an opportunity to grab some CGC on a dip today if you're sharp. CEO fired.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:21 AM 07-03-2019
(BSX) Boston Scientific is a medical device manufacturer.

Currently at 42.69
Mkt cap 59 B
32,000 employees

1 yr return 28%
3 yr avg 27%
5 yr avg 45%
10 yr avg 39%
[Reply]
scho63 08:08 AM 07-03-2019

Currently at 42.69
Mkt cap 59 B
32,000 employees

1 yr return 28%
3 yr avg 27%
5 yr avg 45%
10 yr avg 39%
Don't they also build like 50% of all the cable TV boxes? :-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 08:21 AM 07-03-2019
I'm batting a thousand.

Etrade has been a shit in my pants so far. Every single stock I've purchased so far is down between 30 and 58%.

Good times.
[Reply]
scho63 09:02 AM 07-03-2019
Might be an opportunity to grab some CGC on a dip today if you're sharp. CEO fired.
Great call! :-):-)
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 09:28 AM 07-03-2019

Currently at 42.69
Mkt cap 59 B
32,000 employees

1 yr return 28%
3 yr avg 27%
5 yr avg 45%
10 yr avg 39%
Yeah, medical device/equipment is a nice segment. Make tons of money and aren't targets of politicians like PBM's, pharma, etc. IHI is a good index, you can look through the holdings for other opportunities. ISRG is one of the holdings and I think you've mentioned it in the past or someone did. Just holding that index has returned about 30% a year the last 5. XHE is another

Originally Posted by scho63:
Don't they also build like 50% of all the cable TV boxes? :-)
I think that's Scientific Atlanta(?) which Cisco owns
[Reply]
ChiTown 09:39 AM 07-03-2019
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I'm batting a thousand.

Etrade has been a shit in my pants so far. Every single stock I've purchased so far is down between 30 and 58%.

Good times.
I've never done trades on my own. I have a guy that manages my stuff, and I don't generally ask him to invest in specific stocks. I've thought about taking some money and playing with it on my own via E-Trade/Other. Your thoughts on E-Trade?
[Reply]
Iowanian 10:30 AM 07-03-2019
The money I have other people working for me in the market is doing well....I've tried to do some homework and have had reasons why I purchased every stock I selected.

Every single one has been a dismal loser.

Etrade itself is easy to operate and I don't have any issues with that....I'm just really shitty at picking individual stocks. The good news is every dime I've put into it was "extra" money I've gotten in side hustles, wagers won etc.

I guess I need to spend more time learning.

I'm the only one at my deer camp and inner circle who didn't buy into bitcoin and shitcoins and this was my test to show them how stupid they were......it's been pretty comparable outcomes so far, but I'm waiting on that upswing on my selections that hasn't come yet.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 10:51 AM 07-03-2019
The money I have other people working for me in the market is doing well....I've tried to do some homework and have had reasons why I purchased every stock I selected.

Etrade itself is easy to operate and I don't have any issues with that....I'm just really shitty at picking individual stocks. The good news is every dime I've put into it was "extra" money I've gotten in side hustles, wagers won etc.

I'm the only one at my deer camp and inner circle who didn't buy into bitcoin and shitcoins and this was my test to show them how stupid they were......it's been pretty comparable outcomes so far, but I'm waiting on that upswing on my selections that hasn't come yet.

There is a lot to be said for a manager who is excellent. Mine does an amazing job and for that I am thankful.
[Reply]
ChiTown 11:00 AM 07-03-2019

That's my problem as well, but part of the issue is that I just DGAF - not passionate about it. I'm passionate about making money, but that's why I've invested my money into what I do with my businesses. Now that I have whittled my business dealings into one entity, and my day-to-day with it is much less than it used to be, I have the time to focus a little more into analyzing what I might want to invest in. I'll probably open an account sometime this month and give it a go with my slush fund.
[Reply]
scho63 11:38 AM 07-03-2019
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:

I think that's Scientific Atlanta(?) which Cisco owns
I stand corrected-got my Scientifics mixed up! :-)
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07-03-2019, 10:47 PM
This message has been deleted by Hog's Gone Fishin.
Hog's Gone Fishin 07-07-2019, 03:45 PM
This message has been deleted by Hog's Gone Fishin.
Rain Man 03:59 PM 07-07-2019
OKay, I have a really stupid question. I know some of you like stocks that pay dividends. (Rainman). How long do you have to own the stock to receive the dividend? I know it pays out qtrly.

So ,really my question is .... if a stock has a declared date of say 7/1 and a payable date of 7/20 does that mean you can acquire the stock on 6/25 and get the dividend and then dump it after 7/20 and move to the next stock.

Greedy bastards want to know.
I've never quite figured out how that works. It seems logical that you could take $XX and invest it in twelve different stocks that each pay out a dividend on a different month, and pretty much have a guaranteed high return. But that's so obvious that I have to think that the market corrects for it.

It seems that the common theory is that a stock price naturally fluctuates to take into account the fact that a dividend is about to be paid, and it does so in a way that corrects for the differences. That seems kind of suspicious to me, because it still seems like you could take advantage of that since it's a known future change in the stock price. But I've never studied it to see if there's a predictable change. Maybe I should, but it seems that if there was something that simple and predictable, Wall Street would be all over it.

Short answer: I don't know, and it's a good question. It seems like there should be a way to game the system, but I suspect there's some rule that keeps us from doing it.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:30 PM 07-07-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I've never quite figured out how that works. It seems logical that you could take $XX and invest it in twelve different stocks that each pay out a dividend on a different month, and pretty much have a guaranteed high return. But that's so obvious that I have to think that the market corrects for it.

It seems that the common theory is that a stock price naturally fluctuates to take into account the fact that a dividend is about to be paid, and it does so in a way that corrects for the differences. That seems kind of suspicious to me, because it still seems like you could take advantage of that since it's a known future change in the stock price. But I've never studied it to see if there's a predictable change. Maybe I should, but it seems that if there was something that simple and predictable, Wall Street would be all over it.

Short answer: I don't know, and it's a good question. It seems like there should be a way to game the system, but I suspect there's some rule that keeps us from doing it.
I'm hoping wall street people don't have common sense like us regular people.
[Reply]
Page 200 of 940
« First < 100150190196197198199200 201202203204210250300700 > Last »
Up