ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>What are your hacks when the electricity goes out
Mr. Wizard 12:40 PM 12-24-2023
It’s blowin like a sumbitch in western Kansas and our electricity just went out. What are your hacks?
We run as much water as we can in the tub and use a 5 gallon bucket to pour in the top of the toilet for usage.
We have LED lights that are always plugged in and automatically go on when the electricity goes off. They are handy flashlights too.
It’s cold so the garage makes a huge walk in freezer.
Everyone adds layers of clothes.
I am soon buying a big generator and a MM plug-in to plug into my 220 volt plug in. Must turn the main breaker off so no electricity gets backed down the line and kills some poor lineman !

You guys?
[Reply]
2bikemike 01:33 PM 12-24-2023
Originally Posted by Donger:
Not applicable. My house has underground power lines. I've never lost power.
False security, Its gotta come from somewhere. A lot can go wrong between there and you!
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:34 PM 12-24-2023
Mine does too.. But everyone else around it is above.

A neighbor in the older area has a big tree leaning East over the road, if it ever goes, we lose electricity, cable and internet.
[Reply]
2bikemike 01:35 PM 12-24-2023
Originally Posted by J Diddy:
Armageddon/Zombie apocalypse insurance.

Yep, plus guns and ammo, a freezer full of meat, and a lake full of water!
[Reply]
MIAdragon 01:37 PM 12-24-2023
As does mine. Unfortunately I loose it once or twice a year. Pesky hurricanes.
[Reply]
Donger 01:49 PM 12-24-2023
Originally Posted by 2bikemike:
False security, Its gotta come from somewhere. A lot can go wrong between there and you!
I know my local subs pretty well.

:-)
[Reply]
Bob Dole 01:52 PM 12-24-2023
Originally Posted by notorious:
The wind sucks ass today.

I put an electric space heater in our well pit, and have a gas option if we lose power for a long time.

If things get really hairy I've got a large tractor PTO driven generator that can power the entire farm. Haven't had to bust it out for years and years.
I’ve got a heat lamp in my well house that’s enough to keep it from freezing.
[Reply]
srvy 02:13 PM 12-24-2023
Electricity magically emanates below the surface of the earth:-). Dumb ass fucking limey!

Many outages happen right from a substation or a PP with a transformer with a drop going underground that serves a subdivision with underground lines.
[Reply]
Bugeater 02:14 PM 12-24-2023
Gas powered generator
[Reply]
Donger 02:17 PM 12-24-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
Electricity magically emanates below the surface of the earth:-). Dumb ass ****ing limey!

Many outages happen right from a substation or a PP with a transformer with a drop going underground that serves a subdivision with underground lines.
I quite familiar with G&T and distribution methods, thanks.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:17 PM 12-24-2023
This is why I moved to town.

And yes the wind is a cokcsucker. Did you get any moisture to hang on the power lines or did it blow a pole over or something?

If you have NG service, dad installed a gas wall heater in the basement to provide heat if out for a long time.

Grandpa talked about in the depression, they'd cook bricks over a fire (wood fire stove in their case), and put them in the beds to keep warm.

Keep the fridges closed and they'll keep food for a long time. When you open the door all the cold rushes out.

Don't get wet. I know it's appealing to go scoop the sidewalk or whatever, but it takes a LOT of heat to get you warmed back up if you manage to get wet.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:19 PM 12-24-2023
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Gas powered generator + disconnect if you run the whole house off it.
FIFY
[Reply]
Hoover 02:30 PM 12-24-2023
Whole house generator
[Reply]
Mosbonian 02:37 PM 12-24-2023
Originally Posted by MIAdragon:
As does mine. Unfortunately I loose it once or twice a year. Pesky hurricanes.
Be3n lucky thus far in regards to hurricane related issues.

Been thru 4 hurricanes since we moved here in 2016...only lost power one time for 2 hours and that was because they had to shut down the substation right next to our neighborhood to make repairs on the lines from another neighborhood that fed into the same substation.

But we still do fill all 3 bathtubs for extra water for the little things.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:41 PM 12-24-2023
I just bought a small solar generator for exactly this reason. I can't run the whole house off of it, but I can charge phones and get light and run a microwave (I think). Heat would be my only problem.

I haven't tested out the solar charger yet, but I've tested the storage battery after charging it up in an outlet.
[Reply]
Spokane Chief Fan 02:58 PM 12-24-2023
Generac whole house generator. Comes on automatically.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up