ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Can we talk about panty hose?
Bob Dole 07:21 AM Today
I've read discussions around here that indicate there might be a generational divide between those of us who suffered but endured for 50 years, and our relative newcomers. I saw a post on FB earlier claiming that Raquel Welch auditioned for the Maryann character on Gilligan's Island, and the first reply to the photo attached was, "She's wearing panty hose"

When I was growing up, respectable women not wearing slacks wore panty hose. Hell, L'eggs and their packing and marketing probably made some people a fortune. Hane's was a huge brand. Panty hose were as mainstream as anything you could imagine. My professionally employed wife (married 1986) wore panty hose with her skirts every day, and as a dancer, she had pretty good gams. (Not that kind of dancer, perverts.)

I remember clearly the first professional woman I saw wearing a skirt and no hose, and I remember thinking, "What the fuck?" She was albino white, kind of bow legged, and her legs were not particularly attractive. I've since gotten used to it, but it's significant that I remember the moment

I'm just interested in the opinions and comments of others in this bubble, even though I expect the usual suspect's dismissive trolling. There was a change in our culture, and I'm just curious.
[Reply]
Delano 08:01 AM Today
They’ve always been an old lady thing for me. A blood flow aide in the hospital vibe.

More skin or leggings that synthetically shape a certain silhouette are a big improvement over hosiery.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 08:05 AM Today
Originally Posted by notorious:
They were big in the 80s, after that I don’t think I ever saw them.

Didn’t they come in an egg?
Those were the L'eggs brand. Freestanding circular display. I think Hane's was the market leader before that media onslaught, but I'll defer to out resident marketing folks on that one.
[Reply]
Otter 08:08 AM Today
Originally Posted by old_geezer:
Hell, when I was growing up "respectable" women didn't wear slacks.

And it's all gone downhill since.
[Reply]
Cheater5 08:22 AM Today
I do see women in cooler/colder months wearing them, or if it’s a formal event- but nowhere near as common as it used to be . I also believe they’re more widely worn in Europe and Asia. When I lived in Germany and Italy for six years, young women nearly always wore them; they typically dress nicer than American women overall. I recently have traveled to Korea for work, and when I think about it, more women wear them than do not. The U.S.? Women are typically fat sows who dress down.
[Reply]
irafreak 08:54 AM Today
Originally Posted by BWillie:
The cutoff for this is very close. My wife is 40 and I'm 43 and sometimes our views on old fashioned are jarring.

Mom wore hose as a professional woman. My sister had hose as a kid for events with dresses.

Frankly my old self is tired of seeing ever nasty person's skin hang out of everything. Lol
[Reply]
kysirsoze 08:55 AM Today
I'm 41. My mom wore them when I was a kid, but I've never seen anyone of my generation or younger wearing them unless maybe for a costume or something. I assumed they were spawned from the conflict between a desire to wear shorter dresses and skirts and a conservative view of exposed skin. As people got more comfortable with women having their legs exposed, this weird, unnecessary garment just went away. Just a theory.
[Reply]
TLO 09:01 AM Today
34 here - seems like an old lady thing
[Reply]
FlaChief58 09:08 AM Today
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
I don't know why they went away but I haven't seen them in forever. I kind of think hooker when I think of panty hose
And 30 years ago, you were considered a hooker for not wearing them.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:12 AM Today
Wigs are the new thing

Whatever he's being paid, it's not enough. pic.twitter.com/HQjebbjqAQ

— Dane (@UltraDane) October 12, 2024

[Reply]
DJay23 09:13 AM Today
I remember my sister getting in trouble when we were young for always getting runs in her pantyhose during recess at school.
[Reply]
PHOG 09:14 AM Today
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Wigs are the new thing

:-)
[Reply]
KurtCobain 09:24 AM Today
It's been a number of years since I've worn pantihose.
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:32 AM Today
I use panty hose all the time.

I use it to make me look Asian when I’m robbing banks….and fill it with copper sulphate crystals and drag it around behind a canoe to kill moss/algae in ponds.
[Reply]
Rausch 09:43 AM Today
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I use panty hose all the time.

I use it to make me look Asian when I’m robbing banks….and fill it with copper sulphate crystals and drag it around behind a canoe to kill moss/algae in ponds.
A couple months ago I was talking to a guy who's dryer exhaust got full of lint and I was like "my grandparents just threw some pany hose over the exhaust in the winter. They only blew that outside when it was already hot."

The guy goes "Women don't wear those anymore. Where would you buy them? Where you been?"

I looked around. Yeah, busy building on a busy street and not a single woman wearing them. How the fuck did I just now notice this? How long has this been going on? 5? 10 years?
[Reply]
crayzkirk 09:46 AM Today
They are a pain to get off.

Okay, do your worst...
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up