ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Armadillo invasion
HemiEd 03:04 PM 09-16-2024
These disgusting little critters are migrating north and are causing some maddening damage on my property. I have learned that several of my friends are also experiencing this you. How about you? Have you any suggestions or experience with them?

I remember when as a kid, they were not north of Texas. Then according to what I have found they made it north to Missouri in the 70s. Armadillos migrated to North America through Central America and Mexico, crossing the Rio Grande River in the late 1800s. Humans also introduced them to Florida during this time.

Now, I don't intend to start an argument about climate change, but they don't like the cold and they are mostly nocturnal, but they may be more active during the day when it's cooler. Researchers believe climate change is a factor in armadillos' northward expansion, as they prefer hot weather and sandy or clay environments.

There is a ton of information out there on them, so I am not going to bore you with cutting and pasting all of it.

Below is just a small sample of the damage they have been doing to my property.

Below is a picture of one I shot the other night a 3 AM. No, armadillos are not protected in Missouri, and are legal to hunt and trap year-round. The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) allows residents to trap or shoot armadillos that are causing damage to their property.
Armadillos are considered a nuisance because they can: Damage lawns and gardens, Burrow into the ground, and Carry bacteria that can cause leprosy.

[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 04:21 PM 09-16-2024
Bill knows a lot about arm dildos
[Reply]
FlaChief58 04:23 PM 09-16-2024
I get one in my yard from time to time, and yes, they can tear up a yard in no time. Unfortunately, I can't get rid of the little assholes like you can since the cops frown on people shooting guns within city limits. I use a live trap baited with grubs to catch them, then release them out in the woods.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 04:23 PM 09-16-2024
My favorite Armadillo.
Attached: Screen Shot 2024-09-16 at 5.23.06 PM.png (189.4 KB) 
[Reply]
Frazod 04:27 PM 09-16-2024
Originally Posted by FlaChief58:
I get one in my yard from time to time, and yes, they can tear up a yard in no time. Unfortunately, I can't get rid of the little assholes like you can since the cops frown on people shooting guns within city limits. I use a live trap baited with grubs to catch them, then release them out in the woods.

[Reply]
HemiEd 04:33 PM 09-16-2024
Originally Posted by Frazod:
That's why you should always keep your Glock on your person.

Oh, and good shot on the one in the picture.

Heck I can't even carry reading glasses and have over a dozen pair now staged in convenient places.

Thank you on the nice shot compliment but I missed two last night. It's like the suckers put the word out that I killed one of their buddies so let's go really tear his shit up!
[Reply]
Frazod 04:40 PM 09-16-2024
Originally Posted by HemiEd:

Heck I can't even carry reading glasses and have over a dozen pair now staged in convenient places.

Thank you on the nice shot compliment but I missed two last night. It's like the suckers put the word out that I killed one of their buddies so let's go really tear his shit up!
Heh. This reminds me of the father of a girl I dated many years ago. They had a house in the woods in southern Wisconsin. The guy was a bird watching fanatic, and had several feeders around the house. Squirrels would constantly get in the feeders, and he hated the squirrels. He'd sit in the yard and shoot them with a pellet gun for hours. One day he ended up with a pile of thirty or forty dead squirrels. It was kind of a losing proposition, though; there were always more of them. But at least they're easy to kill.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 04:41 PM 09-16-2024
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
these pieces of shit carry leprosy

keep your pets away
They are also notorious for carrying rabies.
[Reply]
SD15 04:45 PM 09-16-2024

Badass!
[Reply]
Bob Dole 05:32 PM 09-16-2024
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
curious what you used for bait in the trap?
Nothing. took a couple of treated 4x4 posts and built a sort of funnel next to the well house and it just walked in.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 05:40 PM 09-16-2024
He would make a nice cake.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 06:23 PM 09-16-2024
Originally Posted by FlaChief58:

“What do you want for dinner?”

“How about that place that serves grubs with the ride home service?”

“Oh yeah sounds good. Love that place!”
[Reply]
philfree 06:32 PM 09-16-2024
Originally Posted by SD15:

Badass!
Tarkus

It's been several years now but the last time I went up to Stockton Lake to Quail hunt on the Corp ground. I swear there was a damned Armadillo under ever bush. Dogs kept pointing the nasty things. It was ridiculous. There should be a bounty put on those ugly critters.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 06:33 PM 09-16-2024
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
“What do you want for dinner?”

“How about that place that serves grubs with the ride home service?”

“Oh yeah sounds good. Love that place!”
:-)

I take them about 10 miles from here. The little shits don't even tip me
[Reply]
cmh6476 06:59 PM 09-16-2024
Those cute little turtle rats
[Reply]