ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Should I Grant A Full Refund On A Non Refundable Airbnb Rental in Helene Hit West NC
BigRichard 03:18 PM Today
Lets see what Chiefsplanet says on this one...

We have an Airbnb up in Western North Carolina where hurricane Helene hit and has done so much damage. We rented to a lady who chose to pick a non-refundable purchase which gave her a discount at the time of her booking. We are currently up and operational minus our hot tub. We are not filling those for a number of reasons due to the issues with Helene and our renters' agreements states we do not give refunds for things of that nature. Her stay isn't until the 20th and it is about a $1100 payout.

The guest asked for a full refund because she doesn't want to travel here, and she is stating she can't get here but she can. She may have to take a slight detour from the normal route but she can get here.

Airbnb has stated we don't have to give her any type of refund since she did select the non-refundable option. Would you give the full refund? Half a refund? None of it?

We have given others full refunds and/or credit for other stays but she is the only one who got a discount for booking as non-refundable.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:40 PM Today
Originally Posted by scho63:
If she has the ability to access your location, your rental is fully functional and there is no local restrictions, I say no refund it's a tough, unlucky break for them.

As a human being, I would probably do a 50% refund based solely on goodwill or maybe refund 35% for them if they wind up staying, also as goodwill.

They should NOT get a full refund, especially as they did not take insurance but want the best of both Worlds.

My only fear is they may come and take out their anger on your property..
I googled it out of curiosity and apparently trip insurance through Airbnb doesn't cover hurricanes... that's the shitty scam of that type of insurance for trips, tickets, etc. Pay the insurance each and every time for a once in a life time shitty situation, and it won't pay out anyway.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:42 PM Today
I know nothing about the Industry or the economics. I'd get her something. Gut feel says half.

That storm was a hell of a thing.
[Reply]
Womble 03:44 PM Today
Do you have pictures of said lady so we are able to come to a judgment on how much she deserves to be refunded?
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 03:47 PM Today
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I made it three pages... wow... I am awesome.
So you’re pissed you lost out on $40, but have no problem charging this lady $1100 after a hurricane came thru and caused enough damage for you to admit she would have to take a different route to get there?
[Reply]
ptlyon 03:48 PM Today
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
So you’re pissed you lost out on $40, but have no problem charging this lady $1100 after a hurricane came thru and caused enough damage for you to admit she would have to take a different route to get there?
Ya, money must be tight
[Reply]
FlaChief58 03:50 PM Today
Don't be a dick. Refund her
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:51 PM Today
I'd absolutely give a refund. You're not really out anything, but if you are subtract that from the refund.
[Reply]
Pablo 03:54 PM Today
Isn't the world of having to insure and warranty every decision you ever make just really swell???
[Reply]
Graystoke 03:58 PM Today
Refund is the right answer
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 04:02 PM Today
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I’d explain to her that you aren’t required to issue any refund by contract, but as a courtesy you will refund half of the cost or provide an option to have the 1100 stay in her account as a credit for a future stay that will be good for 1 year from the original date of booking.
Attended a bachelor party recently where we had to cancel because groom’s father had a heart attack. This was the solution, not Air B&B owner pocketing the money.
[Reply]
Hark Clunt 04:09 PM Today
obviously yes.
[Reply]
poolboy 04:10 PM Today
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I googled it out of curiosity and apparently trip insurance through Airbnb doesn't cover hurricanes... that's the shitty scam of that type of insurance for trips, tickets, etc. Pay the insurance each and every time for a once in a life time shitty situation, and it won't pay out anyway.
yep
[Reply]
ChiefsFan63 04:13 PM Today
Give the refund. It never hurts to be nice.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:14 PM Today
The renter of our farm house died. The wife wanted out of the lease. We did it, because it was the best way to make sure she would go and not become a squatter. We did put a few conditions on it, but let her out of it. It was for the best.

If anything, refund it with an inconvenience fee, something to pay for the time/mess, lost reservation etc.

Or, will give a mostly full refund IF you get a new renter.

I dont know what is legal. Just throwing out ideas.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:15 PM Today
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I'd say refund minus whatever fees on your end, as I'd really hope someone would do the same if I was in that situation.

[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up