ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 33
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Andy Reid called me, and he asked CP to fix the offense.
Direckshun 07:39 AM Yesterday
I think we can all agree the offense has not been up to par this season.

At this point, there's only so much we can do about it. Our best WR got injured and is missing the season, our best RB is out until December, our LT situation is messy and our stud TE is looking his age.

So, is this who we are now? Is 30 points a game a distant memory?

What can be done?

(Andy Reid is lurking in this thread, so make sure you're on your best behavior.)
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:30 AM Today
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Funny what happens when you see the All-22. I agree with Nate Taylor’s report from the team about Mahomes INT being Steele’s fault.

He doesn’t properly ID the rusher (55) and only looks to his right. That blitzer got to Mahomes immediately and forced him to speed up his throw which is probably why he didn’t see Simmons there. Steele should have ID’d him and blocked him.

This is what happens when you lose vets like Pacheco. Probably why they brought in Kareem. This is a rookie mistake that cost us.

via Imgflip

That's still an incredibly bad throw by Mahomes. It's 2nd and 8 on the first drive. We're not at the point of needing to throw yolo balls.
[Reply]
O.city 08:31 AM Today
We aren't a threat throwing it down field because we don't do it successfully even when it's open.
[Reply]
O.city 08:33 AM Today
Your all pro GOAT QB is just gonna have to play better. We did this same shit last year, then got to the playoffs and he locked in and we played better.

In the end, he makes the $ he makes, we're just gonna need him to play like he's capable of.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:34 AM Today
Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch:
Please, please, PLEASE can we stop pushing this narrative that Hollywood Brown was the key cog that's totally dismantled the game plan?

My God, he had, what, a week total in actual contact practices before fucking his shoulder on the first snap in preseason?

If the plan to attack down field has been abandoned because a broke dick one year flyer got predictably injured, the plan fucking sucked to start.
You spend an entire offseason building your offensive gameplan and identity around the roster you expect to have.

Hell, I still think that's what messed up the offense in 2022 when Hardman broke and we'd planned on him being the Z. I think it happened again in 2023 with Toney being a space cadet.

Looks to have perhaps happened again here.

Now if you want to say "Hey, maybe next year the Chiefs should build a more flexible gameplan that can transition to a Plan B better in the event a potential starter goes down early..." I'll listen.

But I absolutely believe that's what's happened those years based on the reports we've heard from various sources through camp and the early parts of those seasons.

3 years in a row they've blown the tires in various ways on their projected Z receiver before week 2/3 of the season. That's worth giving at least a passing nod to.

In 2022 they did a really nice job finding a new identity on the fly. In 2023 they picked up Hardman, shifted gears a bit and eventually got to where they wanted to be by the post-season.

We'll see what 2024 holds. But it's gonna be a transition just as it was the last 2 seasons. It's not an excuse for them to continue to flail about - it's simply an explanation as to why they might have early in the season.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:34 AM Today
Originally Posted by O.city:
We aren't a threat throwing it down field because we don't do it successfully even when it's open.
Yes. And how do you fix that? It certainly isn't abandoning that aspect of the game altogether.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:34 AM Today
Looks like another mistake by Steele. Why is he running straight into that log jam? The play is literally pulling for you to go left and you run into where all the bodies are? Follow the blockers to open space dude.

Carson didn’t play as well as we thought.

via Imgflip

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:35 AM Today
Your all pro GOAT QB is just gonna have to play better. We did this same shit last year, then got to the playoffs and he locked in and we played better.

In the end, he makes the $ he makes, we're just gonna need him to play like he's capable of.
It was weird how the offense suddenly looked way better when the QB got better last season.

I was assured that was impossible.

The good news is that we appear to have at least reached the 'acceptance' phase fairly early on this season.

Last season we were fighting this fight until about the Christmas Day game before people finally said "Man, do you think maybe Pat isn't playing terribly well?"
[Reply]
O.city 08:36 AM Today
Yes. And how do you fix that? It certainly isn't abandoning that aspect of the game altogether.
Stand in the pocket and throw it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:37 AM Today
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Looks like another mistake by Steele. Why is he running straight into that log jam? The play is literally pulling for you to go left and you run into where all the bodies are? Follow the blockers to open space dude.

Carson didn’t play as well as we thought.

via Imgflip

Carson doens't have moves and doesn't have vision. He is, at best, a 1-cut runner. But for the most part he's just a guy who's going to pick a gap and slam into it.

Ideally he picks the gap the play is designed for - appears he didn't do so here.

But the bottom line is that much to the chagrin of many, he IS a fullback. He runs like a fullback. He has the mentality of a fullback.

We're gonna need Hunt to get up to speed or the passing game to figure shit out. Because at best you're gonna see Steele continue to plod to 3.5 yards/carry with a long gain of 8-10 yards most games.

He's just a pure short-yardage back. And that has plenty of value - but it ain't a guy that should be starting for us.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:39 AM Today
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It was weird how the offense suddenly looked way better when the QB got better last season.

The good news is that we appear to have at least reached the 'acceptance' phase fairly early on this season.

Last season we were fighting this fight until about the Christmas Day game before people finally said "Man, do you think maybe Pat isn't playing terribly well?"
I'm going to have to disagree that the offense ever looked way bette last season. Sure, they beat the brakes off the MASH units fielded by Miami and Buffalo, but they hopped right back on the struggle bus against Baltimore and San Francisco.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:40 AM Today
Again - the QB has to play better.

Hit the shots when you have them. The Worthy ball is just such a prime example - that's gotta be a score. It just has to be.

The broadcast wanted to heap praise on Mike Hughes when it was entirely Mahomes just missing that throw badly that made the pass breakup possible.

I'm fine with the occasional interception on an aggressive play (I didn't even hate the end zone int) but he's gotta stop the really bad picks with no real upside to them (the two interceptions he's thrown over the middle thus far) and you have to hit your deep shots when they surface.

Our boy's just gotta play better. Not superhuman (not yet - that's in the post-season) but he's gotta be at least good. And by most any metric AND the eye test, he just hasn't been.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:41 AM Today
But who’s going to do it? I’d like to see rashee go downfield more but we need to find options besides him. we’ve taken shots at worthy and he isn’t a reliable downfield option yet. And Watson is always going to be a 1-2 target “in case of emergency” option. As much as I shit on Mvs, I don’t think we have that option right now. I think worthy can but as we’ve seen it will take time
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:43 AM Today
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
But who’s going to do it? I’d like to see rashee go downfield more but we need to find options besides him. we’ve taken shots at worthy and he isn’t a reliable downfield option yet. And Watson is always going to be a 1-2 target “in case of emergency” option. As much as I shit on Mvs, I don’t think we have that option right now. I think worthy can but as we’ve seen it will take time
Hardman. Fucking Christ. MECOLE HARDMAN.

Hell, we pivoted to his ass last year. And it WORKED.

He is an adequate substitute to fill in right now. And he's just not. That needs to change.
[Reply]
O.city 08:45 AM Today
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
At some point, we keep cycling thru WR's and hearing "they're not good downfield threats" when maybe the issue isn't the WR.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:45 AM Today
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

I think what got us back was a lot more to do with… 1) deciding our pass offense was 90% kelce/rice and not forcing others to step up; 2) kelce playing like he was 25 again for a critical stretch of the season. Mahomes got a lot better too, but I think it had way more to do with kelce and rice becoming guys you can glue on to. This year 1 of those guys has not been reliable to take on large volume let alone small.

Qb play absolutely has to get better. But I don’t want our solution to be the cooper kupp method of just running one guy into the ground because we can’t trust anyone else
[Reply]
Page 19 of 33
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Up