ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 30
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs and Jones agree to new deal
Sassy Squatch 09:42 PM 03-09-2024

�� �� ��

The #Chiefs and All-Pro DT Chris Jones have a blockbuster deal to keep him in KC, per his agents @KatzBrosSports. The top free agent is off the market and a huge move for the champs. �� pic.twitter.com/BHmM49TCtt

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 10, 2024

Chiefs and five-time Pro-Bowl DT Chris Jones reached agreement on a record 5-year deal that includes $95 million guaranteed and allows KC to keep its best defender before free agency begins, per his agents, @KatzBrosSports.

Deal is expected to be the highest average salary ever… pic.twitter.com/aRidQ0309z

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 10, 2024

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:21 AM 03-10-2024
There is no one up for free agency after this year that is more important to success or more valuable than Jones.

Nick Bolton is a MLb with coverage limitations (not a Fred Warner/Roquon Smith). Trey Smith is a RG. Creed Humphrey is a C.

It would be risky to sacrifice your defensive unicorn/straw that stirs the drink to focus on keeping all 3 of those guys.

I won’t be shocked if they only sign 1 long-term…

And re: Jones deal, let’s not overlook the idea of future restructures. If they’re right against the cap next year or the year after, they could swipe the card again (restructure bonus) and push money into 26,27,28 and even into 29 and 30 on void years or added years.
[Reply]
Archie Bunker 07:23 AM 03-10-2024

The top free agent on https://t.co/iLSuC0HswN is off the board: Our story on Chris Jones’ mega deal with the #Chiefs, as the All-Pro stays on a 5-year contract worth almost $160M with $95M in practical guarantees https://t.co/npeS59XdhE

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 10, 2024

[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:33 AM 03-10-2024
If we get another ring with Jones it's worth it. If not and good players are let go then it wasn't.
[Reply]
RunKC 07:37 AM 03-10-2024
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
If we get another ring with Jones it's worth it. If not and good players are let go then it wasn't.
It’s a 3 year deal. Not gonna keep us from locking up Bolton or Creed
[Reply]
Delano 07:38 AM 03-10-2024
This isn’t exactly what I’d call eating crow, but I’ll take it. You couldn’t have been more wrong on Jones last year, and like a true idiot, you doubled down this year.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:45 AM 03-10-2024
It's a good move regardless. It increases the odds of being the first to 3 peat and rewards him for his contributions in the 3 championships
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 07:45 AM 03-10-2024
Chris is a 1st team All-Pro

He has never sustained a serious injury his entire career

He is the driving force behind a defensive unit that have won 3 Super Bowls.

He will likely go down as the best and most accomplished Chiefs defensive player ever.

This was the right move and should be celebrated. Excited to see Veach go to work now to fill out the roster.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:46 AM 03-10-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:

And honestly, we shouldn’t care.

Jones is a game-wrecking pass rusher who lifts the tide of the entire defensive line.

Even keeping the best C and MLb in the game is less important than that.

If this deal is 5/160 on paper (what it’s sounding like) the Chiefs have threaded the needle on keeping their star defender on board without doing something astronomical on his salary.

Yes, $95M guaranteed is a huge number, but how much of that is signing bonus and how much hits years 4 and 5 and is not real? I think most would sign up for having Jones over the next 3 years for an average cap hit of $28.3M dollars, which is what the deal is if it’s a $25M signing bonus with $95M guaranteed years 1-3.

The penalty is some dead cap in years 4 and 5. And maybe more down the road if they bonus out money for cap space in 25 or 26.

I mean, if the cap just jumps over the next 2 years what it has has jumped this year, by the time you’d potentially be looking at a $5M dead cap charge in 27, you’re talking about dead cap space of like 1.6 percent of the cap. Negligible.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 07:46 AM 03-10-2024
Originally Posted by Hoover:
What does it do to his bonus money he was owed? Does that get built in or added to the new deal?
That became dead money as soon as we picked up the option after the super bowl. It's there in addition to anything on the first year of this deal.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 07:50 AM 03-10-2024
I didn't receive an amber alert for this! 31 other fan bases have had their Lombardi baby stolen!
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:54 AM 03-10-2024
I wouldn't have done it solely because his age, but his impact on the game is undeniable.

It's inked. Let's roll.

I hope Sneed gets all the money.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 08:02 AM 03-10-2024
Late in the year when Andy Reid started to refer to Sneed as the best corner in the game I was a bit taken back considering he was a free agent. I think this was the plan all along. Sneed had a career year just in time to raise his trade value immensely and I think Reid/Veach were trying to highlight the fact.
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:16 AM 03-10-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Especially with the salary cap going up $30 million + every year.
[Reply]
nychief 08:22 AM 03-10-2024
I don't think we had a choice. He's healthy, productive, a good citizen, beloved teammate... you had to pay him.

Good for him. Good for us. The DL is rowdy with he, Furious George and, hopefully, FAU.
[Reply]
wazu 08:26 AM 03-10-2024
Processing this deal the morning after. This turning out to be a 5-year deal smells like some brilliant capology by Veach that nobody anticipated. More years brings more flexibility, and against an ever increasing cap. It also feels better knowing if we don't get full value on this deal, we are at least paying a guy who was pivotal to winning all three of our championships, and ensuring he retires a Chief.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 30
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Up