ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Can we talk about panty hose?
Bob Dole 07:21 AM Today
I've read discussions around here that indicate there might be a generational divide between those of us who suffered but endured for 50 years, and our relative newcomers. I saw a post on FB earlier claiming that Raquel Welch auditioned for the Maryann character on Gilligan's Island, and the first reply to the photo attached was, "She's wearing panty hose"

When I was growing up, respectable women not wearing slacks wore panty hose. Hell, L'eggs and their packing and marketing probably made some people a fortune. Hane's was a huge brand. Panty hose were as mainstream as anything you could imagine. My professionally employed wife (married 1986) wore panty hose with her skirts every day, and as a dancer, she had pretty good gams. (Not that kind of dancer, perverts.)

I remember clearly the first professional woman I saw wearing a skirt and no hose, and I remember thinking, "What the fuck?" She was albino white, kind of bow legged, and her legs were not particularly attractive. I've since gotten used to it, but it's significant that I remember the moment

I'm just interested in the opinions and comments of others in this bubble, even though I expect the usual suspect's dismissive trolling. There was a change in our culture, and I'm just curious.
[Reply]
Delano 08:01 AM Today
They’ve always been an old lady thing for me. A blood flow aide in the hospital vibe.

More skin or leggings that synthetically shape a certain silhouette are a big improvement over hosiery.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 08:05 AM Today
Originally Posted by notorious:
They were big in the 80s, after that I don’t think I ever saw them.

Didn’t they come in an egg?
Those were the L'eggs brand. Freestanding circular display. I think Hane's was the market leader before that media onslaught, but I'll defer to out resident marketing folks on that one.
[Reply]
Otter 08:08 AM Today
Originally Posted by old_geezer:
Hell, when I was growing up "respectable" women didn't wear slacks.

And it's all gone downhill since.
[Reply]
Cheater5 08:22 AM Today
I do see women in cooler/colder months wearing them, or if it’s a formal event- but nowhere near as common as it used to be . I also believe they’re more widely worn in Europe and Asia. When I lived in Germany and Italy for six years, young women nearly always wore them; they typically dress nicer than American women overall. I recently have traveled to Korea for work, and when I think about it, more women wear them than do not. The U.S.? Women are typically fat sows who dress down.
[Reply]
irafreak 08:54 AM Today
Originally Posted by BWillie:
The cutoff for this is very close. My wife is 40 and I'm 43 and sometimes our views on old fashioned are jarring.

Mom wore hose as a professional woman. My sister had hose as a kid for events with dresses.

Frankly my old self is tired of seeing ever nasty person's skin hang out of everything. Lol
[Reply]
kysirsoze 08:55 AM Today
I'm 41. My mom wore them when I was a kid, but I've never seen anyone of my generation or younger wearing them unless maybe for a costume or something. I assumed they were spawned from the conflict between a desire to wear shorter dresses and skirts and a conservative view of exposed skin. As people got more comfortable with women having their legs exposed, this weird, unnecessary garment just went away. Just a theory.
[Reply]
TLO 09:01 AM Today
34 here - seems like an old lady thing
[Reply]
FlaChief58 09:08 AM Today
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
I don't know why they went away but I haven't seen them in forever. I kind of think hooker when I think of panty hose
And 30 years ago, you were considered a hooker for not wearing them.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:12 AM Today
Wigs are the new thing

Whatever he's being paid, it's not enough. pic.twitter.com/HQjebbjqAQ

— Dane (@UltraDane) October 12, 2024

[Reply]
DJay23 09:13 AM Today
I remember my sister getting in trouble when we were young for always getting runs in her pantyhose during recess at school.
[Reply]
PHOG 09:14 AM Today
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Wigs are the new thing

:-)
[Reply]
KurtCobain 09:24 AM Today
It's been a number of years since I've worn pantihose.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up