ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Why Mahomes isn’t the only answer to KC’s passing problems
Megatron96 11:20 AM Today
Some interesting information in this article.

https://amp.kansas.com/sports/nfl/ka...293108649.html
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:15 PM Today
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
The only thing WRONG with the offense is execution.

There are big plays there multiple times per game. We're not executing. This isn't like last year, when nobody could get open and Toney's popping it up for pick sixes. This is just simply NOT hitting open big plays.
Yep.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:15 PM Today
Originally Posted by -King-:
Kansas City has run the football on first down 55.4% of the time through three weeks. The average of Mahomes’ initial six seasons is 46.4%.

Gross.
I would've bet that we ran 80 percent of the time on first down. But maybe I'm thinking of second and long.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:18 PM Today
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I totally agree. We are in the same spot as the Bills - nobody is going to let these QBs beat them. We need to dish out more big running plays and make them pay.
Yeah.

I don't think some people get that when you drop seven with two deep safeties, you're clogging the throwing lanes in the middle, you're covering deep...the only answers to beat that are to RUN THE BALL, and the passes to the back in the flats. Because of Kelce, you MIGHT get a 1 on 1 for a WR on a deep out or something. If you can block that long.

If you can run well, you may catch someone flat footed and get a 1 on 1 opportunity deep in play-action.

And that's it. That's how you beat that defense. It's not rocket science.

They KNOW Reid doesn't want to do that. They KNOW Mahomes sure as hell doesn't want to do that.

But they have to. It's just that simple.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 02:24 PM Today
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I totally agree. We are in the same spot as the Bills - nobody is going to let these QBs beat them. We need to dish out more big running plays and make them pay.
The article indicates the Chiefs are down to 17th in the league in the frequency of opposing defenses using light boxes… yet that still is not translating yet into more production in the downfield passing game.
[Reply]
Delano 02:29 PM Today
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Yeah.

I don't think some people get that when you drop seven with two deep safeties, you're clogging the throwing lanes in the middle, you're covering deep...the only answers to beat that are to RUN THE BALL, and the passes to the back in the flats. Because of Kelce, you MIGHT get a 1 on 1 for a WR on a deep out or something. If you can block that long.

If you can run well, you may catch someone flat footed and get a 1 on 1 opportunity deep in play-action.

And that's it. That's how you beat that defense. It's not rocket science.

They KNOW Reid doesn't want to do that. They KNOW Mahomes sure as hell doesn't want to do that.

But they have to. It's just that simple.
In time, Mahomes can settle into that style of play, as uncomfortable as it is for him. It happened last year and he skated through the postseason.

There are opportunities to break things open in the passing game, but two weaknesses are preventing it. The first is a complete lack of game breaking RB play. Even when Pacheco is healthy, we’re missing a home run hitter. The second is the left side of the line. When the defense actually does break out of the 2-deep, 4 rusher look, the left side struggles mightily in picking up an extra rusher. You see receivers breaking free on a majority of blitzes, but the line can’t pick it up and Mahomes quickly bails into a run or check down.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:31 PM Today
Originally Posted by FloridaMan88:
The article indicates the Chiefs are down to 17th in the league in the frequency of opposing defenses using light boxes… yet that still is not translating yet into more production in the downfield passing game.
It will once Mahomes sorts it out.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:34 PM Today
Originally Posted by FloridaMan88:
I don't think that's true unless the Baltimore game is skewing the percentage. That could be. I certainly don't think that is the case in the last two games. I haven't watched all 22.

Someone's article is wrong.
[Reply]
Otter 02:48 PM Today
Reads accurate but doesn't explain why the offense isn't going over the top a little more often since opposing defenses are playing so tight.

This week's opponent and division rival who's only 1 game behind us is ranked 6th in the NFL in running defense in their own house.

Gots me the heebee jeebees for this game.
[Reply]
Arch Stanton 03:21 PM Today
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
Donger's bi-annual appearance on the football board?
Found somebody that needed correction.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 03:27 PM Today
He's been off. Missing reads, ugly picks, some head scratching accuracy at times. Am I worried? No.

-Hollywood was a big loss
-Worthy is getting his feet wet like Rice last year.
-Costly penalties and play from our young LT's.

It's fixable, KC re-invents itself annually. It's the Patriot formula and we're 3-0.

We're good.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up