[Reply]
rfaulk34 09:05 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by FlaChief58:
I was just coming here to say that :-)
Think minds smart alike. :-)
[Reply]
rfaulk34 09:06 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
We are in the middle of a dynasty run and you are here talking shit about Joe's meaningless stats. Dummy is you.
But i'm not legit. My game is temporary.
[Reply]
warpaint* 06:51 AM Today
Originally Posted by rfaulk34:
It's because he's the best QB in the NFL right now.
So is Sam Darnold I guess...or he was last I checked but I don't want him.

This discussion is a little bit of whatever makes you feel better.

I think there was a yr Alex Smith led the league in QB rating or was close to it & at no point did I ever entertain that he was the best in the league & proceeding to flop in the playoffs as he typically did.

The point isn't to compare Joe to Alex but rather to say that production is important but critical thinking has to enter into it as well.

Mahommes #'s are not good rn & I couldn't care less. He knows how to finish games & will be locked in in the po's. IDK what it would take for me to actually be worried, it's inconceivable to fathom frankly, not that you were positing that.

I agree with you about the Bengals situation in that the record has swung the wrong way on a few pivotal plays - it's clearly not your average 1-4 team, but *insert Parcells quote*. They are capable of turning it around, no idea if they will but I wouldn't bet against it.

If I were starting a franchise & couldn't have Patrick I would want Joe.

I think Zac Taylor's probably run its course there & a change would be best for all parties. I'm sure the contract issues have affected the locker room (?) so it may not be fair to him but it is what it is at some point.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:33 AM Today
He doesn't have to play through the receiver. If he has any kind of awareness, he plays it on the side to completetely avoid going through the receiver.

The sad part is, he wasn't even aware a receiver was right in front of him because he "was playing the ball".

Honestly though, i put more on Lou for only rushing 3. Pre-snap i thought, "that's a bad idea".
But again - he was the nearest guy with a chance to make the play, but he's not the guy that caused the play to happen.

I don't know who the DB was, but there was a guy who was going to be right in that throwing lane and either he drifted with Mahomes movement or he was tracking his eyes - in either event, the underneath DB moved and created that lane for Rice.

Once that happened, the defense had failed. It was now compromised. And Mahomes saw it.

Now you have a rookie where he had to make an incredibly difficult play that's a bang/bang pass breakup even if he does everything absolutely perfectly. He had to come screaming downhill from his deep safety position and Rice was posting up. This idea that he could've just come around him pretty much ignores basic physics.

Rice had put his body right between where the ball and the DB were. The DB really had no choice but to try to play through him and the only way he could've done that was to time it perfect. And that's borderline impossible playing at full speed.

I said it at the time - it's no different than a well executed blitz that puts an OL on an island and gives him no choice but to hold and hope he doesn't get caught. That DB was put into a nasty, nasty situation by a really good play by Mahomes and the other DB on that side of the field sinking on the underneath pass catcher a bit (I think it may have been Perine).

Blaming a safety for a not breaking up an in-cut that started 10 yards underneath him is missing the mark, IMO. That's simply not his man. You don't ask safeties to make that play because most of the time, the penalty (or reception) is what happens.

That's the nature of the beast now that DBs are so frequently penalized for separating a guy from the ball by just driving through his spleen. And 10 years ago, that's what you'd have had happen there. But now, that safety is in no man's land.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 08:51 AM Today
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
But again - he was the nearest guy with a chance to make the play, but he's not the guy that caused the play to happen.

I don't know who the DB was, but there was a guy who was going to be right in that throwing lane and either he drifted with Mahomes movement or he was tracking his eyes - in either event, the underneath DB moved and created that lane for Rice.

Once that happened, the defense had failed. It was now compromised. And Mahomes saw it.

Now you have a rookie where he had to make an incredibly difficult play that's a bang/bang pass breakup even if he does everything absolutely perfectly. He had to come screaming downhill from his deep safety position and Rice was posting up. This idea that he could've just come around him pretty much ignores basic physics.

Rice had put his body right between where the ball and the DB were. The DB really had no choice but to try to play through him and the only way he could've done that was to time it perfect. And that's borderline impossible playing at full speed.

I said it at the time - it's no different than a well executed blitz that puts an OL on an island and gives him no choice but to hold and hope he doesn't get caught. That DB was put into a nasty, nasty situation by a really good play by Mahomes and the other DB on that side of the field sinking on the underneath pass catcher a bit (I think it may have been Perine).

Blaming a safety for a not breaking up an in-cut that started 10 yards underneath him is missing the mark, IMO. That's simply not his man. You don't ask safeties to make that play because most of the time, the penalty (or reception) is what happens.

That's the nature of the beast now that DBs are so frequently penalized for separating a guy from the ball by just driving through his spleen. And 10 years ago, that's what you'd have had happen there. But now, that safety is in no man's land.
I didn’t read this but I gave it a thumbs up, because I assume it’s DJ obliterating rfaulk again.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 11:03 AM Today
The best QB doesn't start 1-4...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:22 PM Today
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
I didn’t read this but I gave it a thumbs up, because I assume it’s DJ obliterating rfaulk again.
Eh, not really.

Just a slight disagreement.

I think Bengals fans are, for the most part, being pretty hard on their rookie there. He almost made an incredible play. One that he should've never been asked to make and one where the flag doesn't always come.

With the set of options he had in front of him, he pretty much did all you could reasonably ask him to do and was an eyelash away from a perfect PBU or a no-call that might've won them the game.

I also think that, in so doing, they don't give enough credit to Mahomes (or blame to Lou and the DB that put the safety in that spot).

That game wasn't about a dumb rookie committing an unnecessary penalty. It was about a generational QB buying space/time and then having the vision to hit his guy right in the pocket that space created, thus putting that safety in a position to have to make a miracle play. He didn't make it and they lost. But it wasn't for lack of effort or ability on that play - he did everything he could.

Mahomes was just being Mahomes.

Next time be up by more than 2 in that spot. It's evergreen advice for teams going against PM, really...
[Reply]
rfaulk34 01:40 PM Today

I disagree with the highlighted. He had time. He just wasn't aware a receiver was right in front of him and admitted as much in an interview.

He had time to make an adjustment but i don't really want to just focus on one player and put it all on him. It was poor execution all around. From rushing 3 to guys leaving their zone. Like this guy, Geno Stone. He was in a good position but when Pat threw the ball i guess he was trying to jump a route and ended up in no-man's land when the ball arrived, leaving the rookie out to dry.

4th and 16 is a low percentage conversion. If they simply execute, the game is over. Going back to 2013, 4th and 15+ is converted at a 13.9% rate.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:57 PM Today
That's the guy - didn't realize it was Geno Stone (who's ballhawking tendencies will get him in trouble at times).

And when I watched the play, he'd actually sold out BEFORE Mahomes threw the ball, that was what yielded the throw to begin with. He had that angle to break on a ball intended for Rice but seemed to see Perine and started leaking down.

To me, he was the guy that truly gacked that play. And I just never saw anyone mention it. And as I'm watching it, I'm just sitting there thinking "no way, that guy had a play on the ball had he not gotten too eager - he hung the other guy out to dry..."

Mahomes saw it and suddenly the odds of that play being broken up reduced to damn near zero.

As for the rookie, I just think he's breaking down as he gets there in that screen capture. He came upfield awfully hot. I just don't know how you break down AND get around a body like that.
[Reply]
rfaulk34 02:01 PM Today
That's the guy - didn't realize it was Geno Stone (who's ballhawking tendencies will get him in trouble at times).

And when I watched the play, he'd actually sold out BEFORE Mahomes threw the ball, that was what yielded the throw to begin with. He had that angle to break on a ball intended for Rice but seemed to see Perine and started leaking down.

To me, he was the guy that truly gacked that play. And I just never saw anyone mention it. And as I'm watching it, I'm just sitting there thinking "no way, that guy had a play on the ball had he not gotten too eager - he hung the other guy out to dry..."

Mahomes saw it and suddenly the odds of that play being broken up reduced to damn near zero.

As for the rookie, I just think he's breaking down as he gets there in that screen capture. He came upfield awfully hot. I just don't know how you break down AND get around a body like that.
That's kind of been the MO of this defense. Guys trying to do too much instead of just executing their assignment. Certain safeties, you can live with the ballhawking stuff. I think Stone's INTs last year were more a product of the players around him. He can't do that this year.
[Reply]
RedinTexas 02:43 PM Today
I disagree with the highlighted. He had time. He just wasn't aware a receiver was right in front of him and admitted as much in an interview.

He had time to make an adjustment but i don't really want to just focus on one player and put it all on him. It was poor execution all around. From rushing 3 to guys leaving their zone. Like this guy, Geno Stone. He was in a good position but when Pat threw the ball i guess he was trying to jump a route and ended up in no-man's land when the ball arrived, leaving the rookie out to dry.

4th and 16 is a low percentage conversion. If they simply execute, the game is over. Going back to 2013, 4th and 15+ is converted at a 13.9% rate.
Without looking at the actual numbers, I'm betting that Mahomes' conversion rate on 4th and 16, or similar, is better than that rate. One thing I learned in watching Patrick play QB is not to give up on a play like that because Patrick has a way of making it happen.
[Reply]
New World Order 02:49 PM Today
Faulker, c’mon pal. Buck up and move on! Mahomes is the best!!!!!
[Reply]
Page 360 of 360
« First < 260310350356357358359360
Up