ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Nzoner's Game Room>RIP Tarzan - Ron Ely
Easy 6 05:00 PM Today
Man I loved that show as a kid, it was just so different from anything else on tv back then

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...r-tribute.html
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:12 PM Today

[Reply]
4th and Long 05:26 PM Today
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
He was no Johnny Weissmuller :-) but he was the TV Tarzan I grew up watching.

Ely was cast at the last minute after the original choice, Mike Henry, was injured by a chimpanzee on the set of the pilot. Ely was initially reluctant to take the role, but his agent convinced him it was a quality show.

Ely did almost all of his stunts. He suffered two dozen major injuries, including two broken shoulders and various lion bites. (ouch)

A remote village in Mexico stood in for an African village in the series. In one instance, Ely taught children how to catch and throw baseballs.

The Tarzan series ran for two seasons (1966-1968) and 57 episodes.

Ely's wife, Valerie Lundeen, who was Ms. Florida 1981, was found stabbed to death in their residence in Santa Barbara, CA. The police were called to the scene for a "family disturbance" and killed a suspect identified as the couple's son, Cameron. An autopsy found that Cameron was suffering from the early stages of chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
[Reply]
Rasputin 05:27 PM Today
My regards to Jane

RIP Tarzan
[Reply]
4th and Long 05:29 PM Today
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
My regards to Jane

RIP Tarzan
There was no Jane in this TV series.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:35 PM Today
Originally Posted by 4th and Long:
He was no Johnny Weissmuller :-) but he was the TV Tarzan I grew up watching.

Ely was cast at the last minute after the original choice, Mike Henry, was injured by a chimpanzee on the set of the pilot. Ely was initially reluctant to take the role, but his agent convinced him it was a quality show.

Ely did almost all of his stunts. He suffered two dozen major injuries, including two broken shoulders and various lion bites. (ouch)

A remote village in Mexico stood in for an African village in the series. In one instance, Ely taught children how to catch and throw baseballs.

The Tarzan series ran for two seasons (1966-1968) and 57 episodes.

Ely's wife, Valerie Lundeen, who was Ms. Florida 1981, was found stabbed to death in their residence in Santa Barbara, CA. The police were called to the scene for a "family disturbance" and killed a suspect identified as the couple's son, Cameron. An autopsy found that Cameron was suffering from the early stages of chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
Even watching that trailer you can get an idea of just how dangerous that set could be... wrasslin lions, playing with chimps, riding elephants etc lol

Yeah that deal with his son killing his mom is just nuts, how did he even get CTE?
[Reply]
Frazod 05:54 PM Today
Wow. I watched that as a kid - IIRC one of the cable channels I got in Jeff City aired in on Sunday mornings in the mid 70s. While listening to the droning narration the theme song started playing in my head before I heard it in the video. I don't remember much about it all these decades later, but I must have liked it back the day.

Anyway, RIP.
[Reply]
stumppy 06:04 PM Today
RIP Ely, you'll always be the best Tarzan ever.
[Reply]
4th and Long 06:10 PM Today
Even watching that trailer you can get an idea of just how dangerous that set could be... wrasslin lions, playing with chimps, riding elephants etc lol

Yeah that deal with his son killing his mom is just nuts, how did he even get CTE?
Here's what I found on a quick search.

Originally Posted by :
30-year-old Cameron Ely, who was 6’5″, weighed 236 pounds, and played football for San Marcos High School and later Harvard University, was suffering from the early stages of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) at the time of his death. His sisters told detectives his behavior had become increasingly “erratic” and “unstable” in the days leading up to their mother’s murder, but no clear motive for the killing was provided. Valerie was stabbed seven times in the chest, back, and right forearm, an autopsy found. Ron, 81, was home at the time and confined to a wheelchair after a recent stroke.

[Reply]
scho63 06:11 PM Today
Cheeta now prepared to spill the beans on Tarzan.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:22 PM Today
Originally Posted by 4th and Long:
Here's what I found on a quick search.
Sounds like San Marcos HS and Harvard had some horrible concussion protocols, he was awfully young to have such extensive damage that he was crazy enough to brutally murder his own mom

Poor Ron having to deal with that at 81 and stuck in a wheelchair
[Reply]
Up