ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: If you found this unauthenticated possible Rembrandt, what would you do with it?
I'd auction it off and make $1.41 million guaranteed. 13 65.00%
I'd roll the dice and authenticate it. $15 million or nothing depending on the results. 4 20.00%
I'd put it on loan to a museum and get my name on a donor wall. Price is irrelevant. 2 10.00%
I'd hang it in my living room. It would be a great conversation piece. 0 0%
I'd probably throw it out. I don't like to support artists, even if they're dead. 1 5.00%
Other (See my explanation below.) 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll
Nzoner's Game Room>You found a Rembrandt painting (maybe). Which option do you pursue?
Rain Man 05:34 PM Today
Here's an interesting article for you:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ine-180985036/

The summary is that an appraiser doing an estate visit in Maine found a painting in the attic that is attributed to Rembrandt.

Assuming that the article is accurate, the owner (heirs?) put it up for auction and it brought $1.41 million.

However, the article said that "if authenticated, the painting could be worth as much as $15 million".

The article talked about how it's not uncommon for people to believe they found a Rembrandt, only to be proven wrong. So my theory is that the owners (heirs?) sold it for a huge discount because it was a guaranteed $1.41 million. If it was proven to be a fake, maybe it would be worth far less. And conversely, the buyer is taking the chance that it's real and buying it at a bargain, understanding that it hasn't been authenticated.

If this was your painting found in your eccentric dead uncle's attic, what would you do? I'll paint a poll in just a moment.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 05:36 PM Today
I would take 100k and a weekend with Edave for sure.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 05:42 PM Today
The owner might have some knowledge that would lead them to believe there’s basically no chance it’s real.

It’s costly to get authenticated over seas and it might be one of those things where only a certain group can appraise it so then you risk traveling with it and possible damage.

If I thought it was realistic that it’s real I’d probably wait though.
[Reply]
lcarus 05:42 PM Today
That's a tough one. I'd do everything I could to unofficially find out how likely it is the real deal. If all I could find out is 50/50 I'd take the 1.4 million. Im in no position to turn down that kind of money lol
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:45 PM Today
I’d hang it next to my 3 framed Sports Illustrated Chiefs Super Bowl covers
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 05:46 PM Today
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
That would probably push it past the 15 million mark tbh
[Reply]
TinyEvel 05:47 PM Today
This thread title is peak Rainman
[Reply]
notorious Today, 05:56 PM
This message has been deleted by notorious.
notorious 05:57 PM Today
Originally Posted by KCUnited:

Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
That would probably push it past the 15 million mark tbh
Why hang that piece of shit next to true pieces of art.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 05:58 PM Today
1.41 million could buy a lot of Chicken Alfredo at Olive Garden
[Reply]
4th and Long 06:04 PM Today
Originally Posted by FlaChief58:
1.41 million could buy a lot of Chicken Alfredo at Olive Garden
The regular Chicken Alfredo or the Crispy Chicken Alfredo? There's a world of culinary difference here.
[Reply]
Womble 06:06 PM Today
I would call Tone and ask if I could borrow Vic the appraiser.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 06:22 PM Today
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Here's an interesting article for you:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ine-180985036/

The summary is that an appraiser doing an estate visit in Maine found a painting in the attic that is attributed to Rembrandt.

Assuming that the article is accurate, the owner (heirs?) put it up for auction and it brought $1.41 million.

However, the article said that "if authenticated, the painting could be worth as much as $15 million".

The article talked about how it's not uncommon for people to believe they found a Rembrandt, only to be proven wrong. So my theory is that the owners (heirs?) sold it for a huge discount because it was a guaranteed $1.41 million. If it was proven to be a fake, maybe it would be worth far less. And conversely, the buyer is taking the chance that it's real and buying it at a bargain, understanding that it hasn't been authenticated.

If this was your painting found in your eccentric dead uncle's attic, what would you do? I'll paint a poll in just a moment.
I have some experience in this having a friend who found a Bernard Buffet and believes it could be worth up to $300,000. To get it authenticated he needs to send it to France, however, if they deem it a reproduction, they have the right to destroy it. It is probably similar with the Rembrandt. I may take the $1.41m, as my friend is likely to fetch about $15k without authentication. In his case I would go for it, if I had the Rembrandt, I would sell for that much larger amount. It's like taking the cash out option on a big parlay that you hit 6 of the 7 legs on...
[Reply]
Up