ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>I just walked out of a movie for the first time ever.
Rain Man 12:14 AM Today
I walked out of my first movie ever last night. I hated to do it, because it was a "World Premiere" and the director spoke before the airing. It was locally produced.

I'll describe the movie now, fuzzing up some details because it's not my intent to embarrass the director, who seemed nice.

It opened with a an aerial shot of a rivulet of water. Very pretty.

Two minutes later, I was thinking, "Uh, time to move on from this shot."

Then the sound started. It was people doing a chant in monotone notes.

Based on my estimate afterwards, we got 12 minutes of running water and monotonic chants. 12 minutes. Stare at some running water for 12 minutes while ringing your doorbell continuously and you'll see the challenge.

Then the scene switched to an aerial shot of some frozen body of water. One minute, two minutes, .... then the sounds came on, and they were random wildlife sounds. And when I say random, we're talking random. There were dogs barking, for example. Dogs barking while we looked down at the frozen water.

That went on for another 12 minutes or so and nothing on the screen ever moved.

Then we went to the third scene. This one had a boat on a lake, and I thought, "Okay, we're going to start hearing some narration now."

Nope. It was 12+ minutes of the boat sitting on the water, very slowly drifting slightly to the right, which was the most exciting scene of the night to that point.

The sound started for this scene, and it was someone saying sentences. I couldn't tell what was being said, because the director recorded five or six different voices saying the same sentences, and then she offset each voice by half a second. The result was cacophonic noise that was rhythmic enough to be really annoying, and you couldn't understand the words. That went on for almost ten minutes and I finally put my fingers in my ears because it was so annoying. Then she started strobing in bright pictures, still images that flashed so fast that you couldn't tell what the image was. Fast-flashing movie scenes really bother me, so now I had to either cover my eyes or my ears and I needed to cover both. I finally leaned over to my wife and said, "I can't take this any more. I'll wait outside." She decided to go with me and we left.

When we walked out, I looked at my watch and we'd been there for 48 minutes, minus ten minutes for the intro speech. They were still showing the boat on the lake when we left.

I'm fine with avant-garde stuff. It's not always my thing, but I can tolerate it. But this? This was painful. It was essentally 48 minutes of looking at three photos surrounded with nonsensical sounds. I can't figure out how that director put that together and decided that it was ready for the public. I felt like a meanie for walking out when the creator was in the audience, but life is too short for that, man.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:58 AM Today
Only movies Ive walked out on was Star Wars, Lord of The Rings and Everything Everywhere All at Once
[Reply]
Frazod 12:14 PM Today
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I walked out of Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy back in the day. Just an awful, horrible movie. Fire Me Boy! and I used to get into arguments over that movie, lol.

Beatty so loved the character of Dick Tracy that he went to so pretty wild ends to ensure he maintained the rights to the character.

https://www.indiewire.com/features/g...al-1234809159/
I had such low expectations going in that I actually kind of liked it. Not enough to ever watch it again or buy it, but it was okay.

The only movie I ever walked out on was the Brad Pitt Jesse James movie. The wife and I went to see it with another couple and we all hated it. It was tedious and dull, and I've never seen Pitt play a more uninteresting character. Maybe it got better. Don't know, don't care. I'll stick with Long Riders when it comes to movies about the James Gang.

Two movies that I wanted to walk out on but didn't were Moonstruck and the Clooney Batman movie. In both cases I was with someone else who had driven to the theater and many miles away from home (saw the Batman movie in Staten Island), so I was kind of stuck. Ironically, I was with the same person when I saw both of them.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 12:20 PM Today
Only movie i ever saw people walk out of was Irreversible. Pretty sure because it was just too graphic.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 12:21 PM Today
Anyway....you can't tell use all that and not tell us the name of the movie. At this point, i want to stream it just to see how bad it is.
[Reply]
ThrobProng 12:44 PM Today
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Only movies Ive walked out on was Star Wars, Lord of The Rings and Everything Everywhere All at Once
Wait, WTF?
[Reply]
Frazod 12:47 PM Today
Originally Posted by ThrobProng:
Wait, WTF?
It's BWillie.

You must be new here. :-)
[Reply]
ThrobProng 12:50 PM Today
Originally Posted by Frazod:
It's BWillie.

You must be new here. :-)
I guess so.

He may very well be the only person on Earth to have walked out of those two films.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 12:55 PM Today
Originally Posted by ThrobProng:
I guess so.

He may very well be the only person on Earth to have walked out of those two films.
If you walk out of movies like Star Wars or LoTR, you have a stick up your ass. Or maybe something bigger than a stick, idk.

But talk about taking yourself way too seriously....
[Reply]
Frazod 01:16 PM Today
My main problem with the LOTR movies was that the third one should have ended with the "you bow to no one" scene. Instead, it droned on for another pointless half an hour while I HAD TO PEE REALLY REALLY BAD.

Nearly pissed myself getting to the john.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:36 PM Today
Originally Posted by BWillie:
You walked out of Lord of the Rings, did you shit your pants or something?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up