ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Turk Wharton having himself a nice year so far
RunKC 09:41 AM Today
Low key one of the big parts of the defense this year. Dude has done a nice job pushing IOL into the QB and winning 1v1’s.

🚨Holy shit alert🚨: Tershawn Wharton is currently 3rd among all NFL starting DTs in pass-rush win rate at 16.1%. He's winning at a higher rate than Dexter Lawrence and Vita Vea right now. The KC D-line has desperately needed him to step up and he's more than delivered.

— Adam Best (@Arrowhead_Adam) October 9, 2024

[Reply]
RunKC 10:56 AM Today
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Still only 26, so just entering his prime too. Hope we can bring him back.
I wish but I think they’re gonna pour a lot of money into Trey, Bolton and McDuffie
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:22 AM Today
Originally Posted by Womble:
Now imagine how much better we'd be if FAU actually stepped up on the edge. O-lines would be getting destroyed up the middle and on both ends.
FAU is getting more snaps every game and is making plays finally. Looking way better than last year.
[Reply]
Womble 12:28 PM Today
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
FAU is getting more snaps every game and is making plays finally. Looking way better than last year.
Whilst I'd agree to some extent with both of those points, his snap count is probably only higher because Omenihu is out. Despite Danna being bad, FAU is still only getting around 20% of defensive snaps (bar the game Danna was out for). Here's the snap counts for both the beginning of thie 2024 season and the end of last season:

If FAU doesn't start seeing his snaps significantly increase at the expense of Danna's by the time Omenihu gets back then his snap percentage will almost certainly go back to less than 10%, which is pretty disappointing considering he's a first round pick. I get that it often takes DEs longer to adjust to the NFL but if he's barely on the field then that becomes harder.
[Reply]
TheGuardian 12:36 PM Today
Originally Posted by Boxer_Chief:
Yeah when Omenihu comes back this d line is gonna wreck faces
100% This could end up being a legacy type defense if Charles is even 90% of his previous self.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 12:51 PM Today
Whilst I'd agree to some extent with both of those points, his snap count is probably only higher because Omenihu is out. Despite Danna being bad, FAU is still only getting around 20% of defensive snaps (bar the game Danna was out for). Here's the snap counts for both the beginning of thie 2024 season and the end of last season:

If FAU doesn't start seeing his snaps significantly increase at the expense of Danna's by the time Omenihu gets back then his snap percentage will almost certainly go back to less than 10%, which is pretty disappointing considering he's a first round pick. I get that it often takes DEs longer to adjust to the NFL but if he's barely on the field then that becomes harder.
I pretty much agree, but his snaps last year were bad snaps, this year he is playing fairly decent when he's in there. Night and Day better than last year.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:02 PM Today

I thought Danna looked terrific against the Saints, especially against the run. Were we watching different games?
[Reply]
RealSNR 01:05 PM Today
So ol’ what’s-his-ass DE that we got from the Cardinals…

He’s like in his 3rd year and needs to be redshirted? Or something?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:11 PM Today
I think Pennell being as good as he's been has actually helped Wharton.

It keeps teams behind the sticks and lets Wharton do what he's best at - get after the passer.

He reminds be a bit of Rakeem Nunes-Roches. RNR didn't have any interest at all in run defense (Wharton is better than him in that regard) but really did seem to have a knack for getting after the passer.

When you let Wharton just go in there with fresh legs and eat in the middle, he shows a ton of juice. He always has, but wasn't able to do it as often because guys like Nnadi let the opponent stay in more favorable down/distance situations.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:14 PM Today
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I thought Danna looked terrific against the Saints, especially against the run. Were we watching different games?
That's kinda it, though.

He's solid against the run but he's a complete non-factor against the pass.

What you'd love to see is the same thing at RDE that we're getting at NT. Pennell in rushing downs, a fresh Wharton to rush the passer in passing downs.

If you could get that from Danna and FAU, you'd be in fantastic shape over there. FAU has gotten a little better but he's still not much over there. You'd just like to see more, especially if/when used situationally.
[Reply]
JPH83 01:15 PM Today
That NO OL was a disaster, but Turk has been a very nice surprise this year. His speed is a real problem for teams.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:16 PM Today
Now imagine how much better we'd be if FAU actually stepped up on the edge. O-lines would be getting destroyed up the middle and on both ends.
Quietly, Karlaftis has been pretty damn mid...

Jones/Wharton have saved our asses in the pass-rush department from the DL. Without the push they're getting, the edges would really be causing us problems.
[Reply]
JPH83 01:17 PM Today
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
That's kinda it, though.

He's solid against the run but he's a complete non-factor against the pass.

What you'd love to see is the same thing at RDE that we're getting at NT. Pennell in rushing downs, a fresh Wharton to rush the passer in passing downs.

If you could get that from Danna and FAU, you'd be in fantastic shape over there. FAU has gotten a little better but he's still not much over there. You'd just like to see more, especially if/when used situationally.
We lack speed at DE. It SHOULD be FAU but his bizarre get off negates his one obvious strength.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:19 PM Today
Originally Posted by JPH83:
That NO OL was a disaster, but Turk has been a very nice surprise this year. His speed is a real problem for teams.
He has a move that works, that's for sure.

He really seems to only use the bull rush to set up that swipe move. I've seen him use a rip a time or two as well.

Would like to see him use a sort of club/swim combo on occasion to keep guys from sitting on that swipe, but hey, he's clearly developed a fair bit.
[Reply]
JPH83 01:19 PM Today
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Quietly, Karlaftis has been pretty damn mid...

Jones/Wharton have saved our asses in the pass-rush department from the DL. Without the push they're getting, the edges would really be causing us problems.
I'm glad someone sees this with Karlaftis. I think he's been solid but he really ain't pulling up trees. Would be interested in his pressure and win rates because he just doesn't win fast all that often imo.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up