ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>How much sense does Mahomes make for MVP?
Direckshun 04:48 AM Today
Historically, including the two times Mahomes has actually won the MVP, the award goes to the quarterback with the gaudiest stats and highlight reel performances.

That's a big reason why, despite his regularly disappearing in the playoffs, Lamar Jackson will be a perennial MVP candidate (until the day he has to retire two seasons from now because his body was snapped in half).

And certainly going by that standard, Lamar should be a frontrunner again this year, alongside Josh Allen. Both QBs are putting up huge stats and making insane plays.

But the QB doing the heaviest lifting this season happens to be the same one who is undefeated.

We saw what happens when a really good QB is deprived of his best weapons yesterday. It was Brock Purdy, and he was largely useless.

Mahomes has made plenty of mistakes but if he cuts down on his most egregious errors, and keeps willing this team to victory after victory, then I absolutely think you have to look at him as MVP. The award is "Most Valuable Player," and Mahomes has proven that even if you kneecap the skill positions all over his offense, he (along with Reid's elite gameplanning) can lead his team to victory after victory.

Naturally, he doesn't care, because he only cares about Super Bowls.

But this guy is the GOAT, and he needs to have a trophy case proving that.
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:13 PM Today
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
It's easy to see why you are a LeBronie. You get so infatuated w a player you refuse to look at things even close to objectively and think stats only matter when it serves your argument.

Let me help you figure things out. MVP isn't a career award, It's a season award. You just said a QB that currently has 6 TDs and 8 INTs should just be handed the MVP trophy every season.

Just stop..

I'm confident Mahomes will get things turned around and he is still doing OK overall. But MVP? There's no way he deserves that.
It's not even worth a discussion with him. He's not gonna admit he's wrong and is irrational as shit.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 03:25 PM Today
Originally Posted by dlphg9:

Yeah we are winning but he'll most of those games over the last 1.5 seasons hasn't been fun to watch. Playoff games are fun, but I watch football to be entertained. This brand of football isn't very entertaining. At least not to me.
While i mostly agree with this, it should be noted that winning is much, much more preferred than losing.

So while it hasn't been fireworks and magic it's still been the best fan experience in the NFL since 2017.

But yeah, i agree that i watch football to be entertained. Fireworks and magic are entertaining. And we ALL want to see Mahomes be exceptional. I don't believe anyone that would say they don't care if Mahomes is putting up stats.

As fans of Mahomes and the Chiefs, of fucking course we want to see him smash all the GOAT records on his way to being the undisputed greatest of all time.

As Chiefs fans, we all wanna pound our chest for decades later after Mahomes has retired and cemented his legacy.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:28 PM Today
Patrick Mahomes II is always my MVP because he will always be the guy making the plays at the end of the Super Bowl. And stats be damned, I watch him play every week and no player in the league is more valuable.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 03:32 PM Today
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
It's easy to see why you are a LeBronie. You get so infatuated w a player you refuse to look at things even close to objectively and think stats only matter when it serves your argument.

Let me help you figure things out. MVP isn't a career award, It's a season award. You just said a QB that currently has 6 TDs and 8 INTs should just be handed the MVP trophy every season.

Just stop..

I'm confident Mahomes will get things turned around and he is still doing OK overall. But MVP? There's no way he deserves that.
The best player on the best team generally wins MVP in every league I've ever watched. Why should this year be any different?

Would you rather have a guy posting touchdown stats right now than the guy who is leading his team to a perfect record despite all of his offensive weapons being decimated?

Mahomes' numbers would clearly be fine if his top two WRs were healthy. He's managed his way around that and made the plays he's needed to make to get this team wins each week. He's the real MVP.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 03:34 PM Today
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Patrick Mahomes II is always my MVP because he will always be the guy making the plays at the end of the Super Bowl. And stats be damned, I watch him play every week and no player in the league is more valuable.
Accurate. Some will always try to find reasons to pick someone else each year, but we all know who the real MVP of this league still is.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:38 PM Today
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Accurate. Some will always try to find reasons to pick someone else each year, but we all know who the real MVP of this league still is.
There are a lot of guys who are vital cogs in getting their teams a high seed and a playoff loss. We're in that phase of the season right now where those guys are shining. Meanwhile, the league MVP cruises leisurely to win after win while coiling for the end-of-season strike.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:17 PM Today
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
The best player on the best team generally wins MVP in every league I've ever watched. Why should this year be any different?

Would you rather have a guy posting touchdown stats right now than the guy who is leading his team to a perfect record despite all of his offensive weapons being decimated?

Mahomes' numbers would clearly be fine if his top two WRs were healthy. He's managed his way around that and made the plays he's needed to make to get this team wins each week. He's the real MVP.
I'm sure if this was Brady we were talking about - you'd be saying the same thing right?

The MVP does not always go to the player on the best team. That's not an accurate statement at all.

Mahomes leads the NFL in INTs and is ranked 16th for passing yds. His 6 TDs put him at 21st for the season. Stats don't tell the whole story but come on...

He's not the MVP of the NFL thus far this season and it's not really close. He's still the leader of arguably the best team in the NFL and career wise the current best player.... However. season wise, thus far, plenty of players are having better years.
[Reply]
Dante84 04:25 PM Today
I'll say this, the rest of our schedule seems a lot easier than the first portion, so I do think a rebound is coming.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 04:57 PM Today
Originally Posted by Dante84:
I'll say this, the rest of our schedule seems a lot easier than the first portion, so I do think a rebound is coming.
Not necessarily because they play 12 games without a break, including a stretch of 3 games in 10 days. That's brutal no matter who you're playing against.

They're already injury prone this season over a handful of games.
[Reply]
Bump 05:01 PM Today
MVP is who had the best stats, yards and TD's. Almost always the QB who had the most total yards and TDs which is why Lamar Jackson is always in the running. Despite having barely any playoff success.

Mahomes isn't getting that, he's getting wins and wins don't factor into it.
[Reply]
Smed1065 05:04 PM Today
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
It’s weird to me people think Mahomes doesn’t care about stats and individual awards.
Wins baby.
[Reply]
UteChief 05:25 PM Today
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Go **** yourself with that take. Marty was the 2nd best coach this franchise has ever had and with any luck he'd be in the HOF.
Do you like Marty over. Vermeil?
[Reply]
dlphg9 05:47 PM Today
Originally Posted by ToxSocks:
While i mostly agree with this, it should be noted that winning is much, much more preferred than losing.

So while it hasn't been fireworks and magic it's still been the best fan experience in the NFL since 2017.

But yeah, i agree that i watch football to be entertained. Fireworks and magic are entertaining. And we ALL want to see Mahomes be exceptional. I don't believe anyone that would say they don't care if Mahomes is putting up stats.

As fans of Mahomes and the Chiefs, of ****ing course we want to see him smash all the GOAT records on his way to being the undisputed greatest of all time.

As Chiefs fans, we all wanna pound our chest for decades later after Mahomes has retired and cemented his legacy.
Well of course winning is more important, but if Mahomes is playing like an MVP then we're winning and being entertained. Like I said, I'm good with this for a little bit, but God damn I couldn't take several seasons of this kind of football and some people act like they could because all that matters is winning, but at some point winning how we've been winning is just so God damn boring.

The best way I can explain it is by comparing the NFL and XFL. The reason the NFL is so popular and something like the XFL can't stay in business isn't just because people love football it's also the talent level of the players in the NFL make the game fun. So yeah, duh, winning is nice, but watching mediocrity isn't and this offense has looked mediocre since last season.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up