ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>I'd rather re-sign Nick Bolton than Trey Smith.
Direckshun 09:41 AM Today
The reporting surrounding the Chiefs incoming extensions says that they are prioritizing three players in the coming years: Trey Smith, George Karlaftis, and Trent McDuffie.

All three are extremely highly deserving, and I have no complaints about any of them returning to KC.

The problem is that the list doesn't include Nick Bolton.

We know the team loves Nick Bolton, they are just prioritizing his 2021 draft class brethren Trey Smith.

I think preferring Trey Smith is reasonable. But.

Nick Bolton is cheaper, and more important.

1. Smith plays guard, which is a highly replaceable piece. For some reason, it is also more expensive than most other positions on the football field.

2. The reason Spags' defense is so damn good, aside from being stacked with great talent, is that it is wildly intelligent. Spags of course is the smartest DC there is, but the team has world class intelligence at every position. And the smartest player on the field is Bolton.

Bolton gives the defense the Derrick Johnson advantage of being able to figure out plays before they happen, often giving the defense the best possible jump on the opposition. Replacing that with, say, Drue Tranquill, will net you the same number of tackles probably, but Tranquill's high intelligence is just not in Bolton's stratosphere.

In order to have a great defense, I think you need more than great players. You need players who fit together and are force multipliers. Bolton is a force multiplier, as his smarts allow him to fill gaps all over the shallow crossing range and pack the box to help stuff the run.

The drop off from Smith to his replacement, compared to the dropoff from Bolton to Tranquill, is probably equal. But Bolton's the guy I'd bring back.
[Reply]
4th and Long 09:51 AM Today

[Reply]
O.city 09:55 AM Today
Are we sure Karlaftis is a must resign?
[Reply]
RunKC 10:20 AM Today
Originally Posted by O.city:
By the time he’s in year 5 playing for a deal he’ll get 13+ sacks and earn it IMO
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:29 AM Today
Originally Posted by O.city:
For B-caliber money? Yes.

He's important and he's not elite. You need those players on your team, financially.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:31 AM Today
100% agreed.

Trey Smith did his job and it's time to find the next Trey Smith.

Nick Bolton is a lockdown MLB.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:28 AM Today
Dont really care about either of them
[Reply]
Bowser 11:44 AM Today
Relatedly - this issue might be a big part as to why they don't go trade for a Christian Kirk type.
[Reply]
O.city 11:46 AM Today
Originally Posted by RunKC:
By the time he’s in year 5 playing for a deal he’ll get 13+ sacks and earn it IMO
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
For B-caliber money? Yes.

He's important and he's not elite. You need those players on your team, financially.
LOL, B caliber money?

The guy will likely be looking for 25 million a year. If his play drops off and you can get him alot cheaper, I'd argue that's probably a guy you let walk anyway.
[Reply]
O.city 11:47 AM Today
Chase Young is getting 13 million a year.

If Karlaftis plays as his has the past 2 years, just as a baseline, no improvement just a static 8-10 sack a year guy....those guys get 20 million a year.

I'd not be overly interested.
[Reply]
Up