ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>My Childhood Neighbor Needs a Kidney/Liver transplant.
GabyKeepsMeWarm 02:38 AM 09-27-2024
We were never close, but his parents have been our neighbors for almost 40 years. Good neighbors.

And their son is about my age, and he is quite ill. He’s been going through the early to moderate serious stages of liver/kidney failure.

His birthday was today. And I just feel so weird and awkward about what to give the guy.

Couple weeks ago, we had extra watermelons, and the melons were great, so I carved a melon and walked across the yard and gave them half.

The dad apparently got to my mom saying thank you and enjoying what a good melon that was.

But geesh, what can I do or send to him or his family that will do anything?

Pizza night? BBQ night?

Poor bastard is not my best friend by any stretch, and for whatever reason, we have awkward exchanges….

I dunno. This is not my wheelhouse.
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 03:58 AM Today
It just sucks.

We all take our health for granted. Years roll by and “everything is fine”, until it’s not.

Thankfully most health issues can be dealt with when discovered early, make some adjustments and hopefully live a life.

But it’s when things really go sideways, and your health becomes your entire life. That sucks.

To Rain Man and others here living with serious health issues, I am sorry and I will give you the sanctimonious hearts and prayers because I don’t know what else to do.

Since my dad died, I’ve definitely had a different idea about my own mortality, though it just seems so damn abstract and weird that I will cease to exist at some point, as inevitable as it is.

My mom made some oatmeal cookies yesterday. Maybe it’s just being the weirdo neighbor until they say “we’re good.”?

I dunno…. I could see the stress on his parents’ faces when I dropped off that watermelon, and I could see in his face that he is scared.

There’s nothing perfect to do or say. Maybe it’s just showing up occasionally and letting them know THEY’RE still around by being the weirdo neighbor letting them know you’re around.
[Reply]
Monticore 06:15 AM Today
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm:
It just sucks.

We all take our health for granted. Years roll by and “everything is fine”, until it’s not.

Thankfully most health issues can be dealt with when discovered early, make some adjustments and hopefully live a life.

But it’s when things really go sideways, and your health becomes your entire life. That sucks.

To Rain Man and others here living with serious health issues, I am sorry and I will give you the sanctimonious hearts and prayers because I don’t know what else to do.

Since my dad died, I’ve definitely had a different idea about my own mortality, though it just seems so damn abstract and weird that I will cease to exist at some point, as inevitable as it is.

My mom made some oatmeal cookies yesterday. Maybe it’s just being the weirdo neighbor until they say “we’re good.”?

I dunno…. I could see the stress on his parents’ faces when I dropped off that watermelon, and I could see in his face that he is scared.

There’s nothing perfect to do or say. Maybe it’s just showing up occasionally and letting them know THEY’RE still around by being the weirdo neighbor letting them know you’re around.
I always thought I led a healthy ish lifestyle never smoked or done drugs barely drink (1 a month or less) exercise regularly ( hockey/golf/tennis/work outs/cycling) always had borderline cholesterol I eat pretty healthy but I was diagnosed with total obstruction of my rt coronary and it looks like I had a mild asymptomatic heart attack at some point, no stents or bypass at this time because my heart formed some collaterals to compensate, recently did a stress test and completed the 15 min without breaking a sweat but I know at some point it’s going to get me . I have also suffered 2 major chronic subdural hematomas with a midline shift which doesn’t normally happen at my age (43 and 47) .

I haven’t figured out if I’m lucky or unlucky yet .
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up