ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>[Confirmed] Jaylen Watson - Broken Ankle
Dante84 11:03 PM Yesterday

Source: Chiefs fear that CB Jaylen Watson has a broken ankle.

— Zach Gelb (@ZachGelb) October 21, 2024

#Chiefs CB Jaylen Watson, one of their emerging young players on defense, suffered a fractured ankle in Sunday’s win over the #49ers, sources say.

He’ll have more imaging done today to determine if a return this season is possible. But tough reality for an up-and-coming corner. pic.twitter.com/86J6M58zqm

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) October 21, 2024

[Reply]
O.city 03:03 PM Today
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Does it?

I feel like it's on the verge of finding an identity and playing to that identity quite well. But that's a 25-30 rush/gm, short/intermediate passing team.

A RBBC that is effective but not explosive with a play-action passing game that is going to take a couple deep shots/gm while using some WR motion on reverses, etc... to find some space in the middle of the field for the TEs.

Honestly, I think the offense we saw on Sunday is about what we'll see going forward and what may make/break any given game (offensively) is just hitting that deep shot.

I mean I could EASILY see a scenario where Mahomes doesn't hit 4K yards passing this season but we end up with 1,500+ yards from Pacheco/Hunt.

And that's not a bad offense, but it's an offense that probably settles in the 16-21 ppg range and if they hit 27+ it's going to be off a big special teams play, a short field created by a turnover or they hit that shot play. And there WILL be games that happens.

But there was a lot that went right schematically yesterday and we put up 325 total yards. That's...not exactly 'breaking out'. It's...okay.

I think this is roughly where we're gonna live for a bit. And it's fine but it's gonna be a bit of a throwback offense.

And with our bye being so early and injuries now starting to ding some depth on the defense, we're asking a lot of them to keep this up.
That's possible.

But if you can hit said deep shot or two and you can get some secondary WR to play up a bit (JJSS stays healthy, Hardman, traded WR) I think you're in a good spot with the TE's coming on.

I really like what they've got at RB if Hunt can keep it together, Pacheco comes back and Perine on 3rd down.

But in the end......until the QB unfucks himself a bit we're just kissing our cousin.
[Reply]
kozzman555 03:21 PM Today
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
What's the best case scenario for a fractured ankle?
That little baby Jesus comes down from Heaven and heals it instantly. That's pretty much as good of a scenario as you can get.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:26 PM Today
Originally Posted by O.city:
That's possible.

But if you can hit said deep shot or two and you can get some secondary WR to play up a bit (JJSS stays healthy, Hardman, traded WR) I think you're in a good spot with the TE's coming on.

I really like what they've got at RB if Hunt can keep it together, Pacheco comes back and Perine on 3rd down.

But in the end......until the QB unfucks himself a bit we're just kissing our cousin.
I think that's awfully easy to say...if you're the Jets.

It wasn't hard to say when we had Rice and Worthy. Hell, it was doable with JuJu and Worthy.

But man, this is JuJu. I said it when we signed him. The issue isn't even availability, it's how LONG he'll be available and that even when he's on the field, he's always one play from being gone or limited for 3-4 weeks. You can NEVER count on him. Ever.

This receiver room is Worthy and scraps. I like Hardman and he is STILL, almost by definition, scraps.

At a point you've gone beyond his ability to make chicken salad. And man, we're at that point. And god help us if Worthy goes down as well.

We cannot continue to operate like this. We have to add someone or we're going to be playing Marty-Ball with Hunt/Pacheco.

And virtually every single one of us is going to acknowledge how that works in the post-season. History says...poorly.
[Reply]
O.city 03:33 PM Today
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I think that's awfully easy to say...if you're the Jets.

It wasn't hard to say when we had Rice and Worthy. Hell, it was doable with JuJu and Worthy.

But man, this is JuJu. I said it when we signed him. The issue isn't even availability, it's how LONG he'll be available and that even when he's on the field, he's always one play from being gone or limited for 3-4 weeks. You can NEVER count on him. Ever.

This receiver room is Worthy and scraps. I like Hardman and he is STILL, almost by definition, scraps.

At a point you've gone beyond his ability to make chicken salad. And man, we're at that point. And god help us if Worthy goes down as well.

We cannot continue to operate like this. We have to add someone or we're going to be playing Marty-Ball with Hunt/Pacheco.

And virtually every single one of us is going to acknowledge how that works in the post-season. History says...poorly.
Oh, it sadly, hinges on adding someone and probably JJSS getting healthy.

It's not ideal. But when you take a stick of dynamite to a single position group, you get this.

I hope they don't think they can roll into January this way.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:44 PM Today
Oh, it sadly, hinges on adding someone and probably JJSS getting healthy.

It's not ideal. But when you take a stick of dynamite to a single position group, you get this.

I hope they don't think they can roll into January this way.
JJSS is never going to be healthy.

Your 'not ideal' is simply an impossibility. So when even the best of bad options is not going to happen, why are we pretending like it will?

Lets say the Chiefs have 700 snaps of offensive football left to play this season. Do you think JJSS will play half those? I don't think he'll play in half the GAMES left this season and I don't think he'll play 2/3 of the games he plays at full gallop. You might get 300 more snaps from him this season. Lets squint and say 400, but 100 of THOSE will be after not practicing all week, carrying an injury designation and then 'feeling something' in the 2nd quarter and trying to gut through it.

The guys is the brokenest of broke dicks this league has.

We CANNOT simply ignore the WR room. It's not viable.
[Reply]
O.city 03:47 PM Today
Again, don't disagree.

But at some point....you kinda gotta cut bait right? I mean, sometimes it's just not your year.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:52 PM Today
Again, don't disagree.

But at some point....you kinda gotta cut bait right? I mean, sometimes it's just not your year.
Over a 3rd rounder when you're chasing a 3-peat!?!?!?!

Fuck no.

It's a 3rd rounder, man. It has value, but it's not gonna make or break the next half-decade of Chiefs football.

A 1st wouldn't do that. As has been noted, we got barely backup RB caliber contributions from MEH as a 1st rounder and won 2 SBs anyway. We'd have been no worse with LaMichael Perine taking those snaps last season.

He's as fungible as fungible gets.

Arden Key will have made $7 million over the last 2 seasons to be MUCH better than FAU has been over that span. At a point, the roster spot is as valuable as the player when you're talking about the fairly middling returns that some of these guys will provide.

For 2 first rounders we could've called our shot on trades over the last several seasons and backfilled the MEH/FAU picks with...whatever. It wouldn't have been hard.

And yes, sometimes those picks are GK and McDuffie, which is why I'm not eager to give up a 1st. But a 3rd? Hell, a 2nd? You're going to pull the chute on the season rather than surrender that?

Naw, man. Hell no.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:57 PM Today
Hell, you know who's been a reasonably useful player for Carolina? And has a decent NFL career and good size? Mike Jackson at CB.

27 yrs old on an expiring minimum deal. Started in Seattle a couple years back. Nothing great - but he has a track record of experience adequacy. Not the greatest first line in a resume but it's not nothing.

Johnson and Jackson for the Titans 3rd? Why not?
[Reply]
O.city 03:59 PM Today
If we're picking over that dead carcass give me Hubbard too.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:05 PM Today
I'd be more willing to give up more draft capital for more help now than less capital for less help now.

And sometimes that's how you have to pivot on a deal. If you're trying to get something done and the other side says "I HAVE to have X" and you've done everything you can to get to yes without giving up X, then you can start to peck away on the return instead. "Okay, I can give you X, but I have to have A and B..."

Just how it works sometimes when someone gets intransigent. But you can still get to a mutually beneficial arrangement that way. Because it's that, or you call a bluff and maybe it works. But maybe you end up watching Skyy Moore take meaningful snaps in January.

If the answer is a 6th for DeMarcus Robinson or a 2nd for Hubbard, Johnson and Jackson - I'm taking the latter over the former (and then still doing the former).

This isn't the time for penny slots, IMO.
[Reply]
Mecca 04:06 PM Today
If we're picking over that dead carcass give me Hubbard too.
Brooks is about to return...so they might listen.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up