ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 94 of 94
« First < 44849091929394
Nzoner's Game Room>*****Official 2024 Royals Season Repository Thread*****
ChiefsCountry 11:36 AM 01-01-2024

Year Two of the Matt Quatraro tenure. Time to take a step up this year. Active in free agency and trades this offseason. A new look pitching rotation and bullpen. Will the young players take the leap up offensively? Bobby Witt extension? New stadium? Will Vinny recover from injury? Salvy taking aim at the Royals record book? Will Cole Ragans turn into the best Royals starting pitcher since Greinke 1.0?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Seth Lugo, SP
Michael Wacha, SP
Kyle Wright, SP
Hunter Renfroe, OF/DH
Will Smith, RP
Chris Stratton, RP
Nick Anderson, RP
Adam Frazier, 2B
Garrett Hampson, INF/OF
Matt Sauer, RP
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 02:51 PM Today
I hear ya, friend. All good.
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:20 PM Today
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
He would bring back the best return of anything the Royals could trade beyond Bobby Witt, but it wouldn't be a crazy type of haul like what the White Sox got for Sale or anything. I don't think it would be as much as the Rays got for Snell, either.
Can you promptly delete this since it doesn't align with my beliefs?
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 03:43 PM Today
A little St.Louis WTI history. Some of this I may have told previously, so forgive me for the repetition.

My mom as teenager, worked at Sportsman’s Park, where the Cardinals and the STL Browns played. This was in the early to mid 30’s. She grew up in some difficult circumstances (but who didn’t after crash in 29?), and managed to work her summers at the park.

In those days it was not uncommon to play doubleheaders. In the afternoon. In the heat. The team used giant round horse/livestock troughs full of ice to keep beer cold. They sold Budweiser, Schlitz PBR and some “other shit beers”.

Bud was 10c, all the others were a nickel. So, as the sun would beat down on the trough and turn the ice into water, my mom, a young girl of minimal means, would reach into the trough and carefully slide the label off a bottle of Bud. Then, she would slip the label off the the “off brand” and switch the labels. Then she would sell the off brand as Budweiser, charge a dime and get to pocket a whole nickel. On good days it was worth 35/40c. But that helped give her a little spending money.

She was casual acquaintances with legendary Cardinals of the Gas House Gang. The Dean brothers, or Pepper Martin would amble by to purchase a soft drink on occasion.

It seemed glorious, but on the way home she would walk the railroad tracks and pick up any coal that might fallen from a coal car to use in the winter to fire the furnace. Anything to help the family.

There’s a great deal more to her life story than that, but today, being able to reflect on it in a baseball related way helps me understand why I love this game so much.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 08:23 PM Today
A good days work in STL.
[Reply]
Page 94 of 94
« First < 44849091929394
Up