ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1223 of 1223
« First < 22372311231173121312191220122112221223
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:55 PM 07-08-2024
So I have a question for the CP grilling/smoking afficionados here.

I see on food cooking shows, BBQ contest shows, and here on CP they cook pork spare ribs. Why? Also called St. Louis cut.

I'm a baby back snob myself. Have accidentally bought spare ribs and cooked them.

They're ok. But that end with the bone, that they make riblets with pisses me off.

So why do people prefer spare over baby back? Is it because they are more uniform and cook evenly together? Where as baby backs can have a larger side than the other.

So what's the reason CP experts? Try to convince me, please.

Go.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:23 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
So I have a question for the CP grilling/smoking afficionados here.

I see on food cooking shows, BBQ contest shows, and here on CP they cook pork spare ribs. Why? Also called St. Louis cut.

I'm a baby back snob myself. Have accidentally bought spare ribs and cooked them.

They're ok. But that end with the bone, that they make riblets with pisses me off.

So why do people prefer spare over baby back? Is it because they are more uniform and cook evenly together? Where as baby backs can have a larger side than the other.

So what's the reason CP experts? Try to convince me, please.

Go.
There's no right or wrong answer but parts of this link might help.

https://championshipcatering.com/rec...characteristic.

Originally Posted by :
What Makes Them Different?

Comparing St Louis-style ribs vs. baby back, the most apparent visual difference is the shape. St Louis ribs are flatter and straighter, whereas the baby back ribs are curved and shorter. Because the St Louis ribs are flatter and easier to brown and get just right on the grill, they can cook more evenly, which is excellent. They also have a more succulent and fattier characteristic. The fat is bursting with flavor, but there is meat there as well.

Baby back ribs vs. St Louis ribs give you a contest of fat versus meat. The baby back ribs are meaty, making them easier to marinate in any sauce. You have to be more selective with the St Louis ribs. The meaty rib is heartier and will fill you up faster, plus it is leaner and healthier for you. If you are looking to watch your figure and stick with a diet while still enjoying some delicious ribs, then the baby back ribs are the right choice.
I have moved from Baby Backs to St. Louis personally.
[Reply]
scho63 06:35 AM Yesterday
For me it is a matter of quantity and flavor.

Baby backs are filet mignon and St Louis style are rib eyes.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 07:19 AM Yesterday
For me #1 is price. Baby back can be easily double the price of spares. Back back are higher up on the rack and contain a portion of the loin which typically will make them a meatier rib. Which is why most people prefer them. Spares, whether they have been trimmed down to a STL trim, or just the bone removed, or the bone and ribs tips removed is my preference. If I can get 2 racks for the price of 1 back back rack, that's a no brainer to me.

I smoked a rack of STL yesterday for some family. I don't think they knew or gave a damn what cut they were. Only thing left was bones.

edit*
trimmings from spares always get smoked and thrown in beans.
[Reply]
Page 1223 of 1223
« First < 22372311231173121312191220122112221223
Up