ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Nzoner's Game Room>Is it time to bring back the puntout?
Rain Man 11:54 AM 08-26-2024
This article is fascinating to me. It's about how extra points were attempted prior to 1920, and it's a pretty interesting system that we should bring back (though admittedly the introduction of hash marks dampens the fun).

I'll make you click the link because we should support good football history journalism, but the tl;dr summary is that prior to 1920, the extra point was attempted directly back from the point where the ball crossed the goal line. If that was a bad spot, the scoring team could punt the ball from inside the other team's end zone, leading to one of several outcomes. The punt could potentially be made from out of bounds, and a horizontal penalty could also be levied.

https://www.footballarchaeology.com/...he-puntout?s=w
[Reply]
ThrobProng 12:00 PM 08-26-2024
Interesting, but I'd rather just make TDs worth 7 points and eliminate the extra point altogether.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:32 PM 08-26-2024
Originally Posted by ThrobProng:
Interesting, but I'd rather just make TDs worth 7 points and eliminate the extra point altogether.
This is the way. Its just a waste of time.

If I was commish Id make it so everyone HAS to go for two. It would reward actual good teams and not good special teams.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:34 PM 08-26-2024
Dropkick me Jesus thru the goalposts of life...
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:00 PM 08-26-2024
Originally Posted by BWillie:
This is the way. Its just a waste of time.

If I was commish Id make it so everyone HAS to go for two. It would reward actual good teams and not good special teams.
I would say you can automatically take the 7, or optionally take 6 and go for two.

I would also just kill KO.

Other team gets the ball at 25.
[Reply]
Up