ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>What are your hacks when the electricity goes out
Mr. Wizard 12:40 PM 12-24-2023
It’s blowin like a sumbitch in western Kansas and our electricity just went out. What are your hacks?
We run as much water as we can in the tub and use a 5 gallon bucket to pour in the top of the toilet for usage.
We have LED lights that are always plugged in and automatically go on when the electricity goes off. They are handy flashlights too.
It’s cold so the garage makes a huge walk in freezer.
Everyone adds layers of clothes.
I am soon buying a big generator and a MM plug-in to plug into my 220 volt plug in. Must turn the main breaker off so no electricity gets backed down the line and kills some poor lineman !

You guys?
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 07:53 AM Today
Have a whole house generator that kicks on in under 5 minutes

At farm I have a portable gen ready to go. I run it ever 3 months
[Reply]
notorious 08:05 AM Today
I have a tractor pto driven generator that can allegedly run my entire farm.

Hope I never need to find out.

Thought about just biting my lip and going the route HCF has. Whole house generator that kicks on automatically ran off of natural gas.
[Reply]
Womble 08:06 AM Today
I don't live in the third world so my electricity has never gone out.
[Reply]
DenverChief 08:07 AM Today
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard:
It’s blowin like a sumbitch in western Kansas and our electricity just went out. What are your hacks?
We run as much water as we can in the tub and use a 5 gallon bucket to pour in the top of the toilet for usage.
We have LED lights that are always plugged in and automatically go on when the electricity goes off. They are handy flashlights too.
It’s cold so the garage makes a huge walk in freezer.
Everyone adds layers of clothes.
I am soon buying a big generator and a MM plug-in to plug into my 220 volt plug in. Must turn the main breaker off so no electricity gets backed down the line and kills some poor lineman !

You guys?
Solar power with a backup battery that lasts about 15 hours.
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 08:23 AM Today
Originally Posted by notorious:
We still use our gas floor furnace to heat our home in the winter. It’s awesome, and the only way it goes out is if the natural gas is cut off.
Most gas log sets also don't require electricity to run, just gas service (the pilot light actually generates the electricity to run the gas valve). Had one in my last place & we were without power for about 24 hours once & we were really glad we had it. I honestly should get one in my current house, but haven't done it yet.
[Reply]
notorious 08:26 AM Today
Originally Posted by ScareCrowe:
Most gas log sets also don't require electricity to run, just gas service (the pilot light actually generates the electricity to run the gas valve). Had one in my last place & we were without power for about 24 hours once & we were really glad we had it. I honestly should get one in my current house, but haven't done it yet.
They really are a pipe-saver.

Our floor furnace is almost 100 years old. It has an electric solenoid that was installed somewhere during it's life, but still has the manual control. I can lock the gas open if needed, just need to make sure it's lit or notorious's house will go boom.
[Reply]
notorious 08:28 AM Today
My daughter considers this a life saver when the power goes out:

[Reply]
tredadda 08:28 AM Today
Originally Posted by Trivers:
Where is the most beautiful AK place where you live in 2024? Thinking about moving to AK. Is it possible to have both mountains and water views?
Juneau is nice. I have a friend that lives there although he’s about to move. It has the mildest weather in Alaska. If you don’t mind the high cost of living, the druggies, and the fact that the only way to leave is by plane or boat (no roads lead out of there to any place) then Juneau is for you.
[Reply]
ThrobProng 08:29 AM Today
Kill the weakest ones in your home first. They're easy prey, and you don't want them taking up valuable resources.
[Reply]
notorious 08:29 AM Today
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Juneau is nice. I have a friend that lives there although he’s about to move. It has the mildest weather in Alaska. If you don’t mind the high cost of living, the druggies, and the fact that the only way to leave is by plane or boat (no roads lead out of there to any place) then Juneau is for you.
I heard the weather is wet, yet amazing in Juneau.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 08:33 AM Today
Originally Posted by ThrobProng:
Kill the weakest ones in your home first. They're easy prey, and you don't want them taking up valuable resources.
The youngest ones are very tender
[Reply]
notorious 08:35 AM Today
Originally Posted by FlaChief58:
The youngest ones are very tender
They can be drawn in with promises of candy and soda.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up