Phillies 0 0%
Brewers 0 0%
Padres 3 6.82%
Mets 0 0%
Braves 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll
Page 9 of 9
« First < 56789
Nzoner's Game Room>2024 MLB Playoffs Thread (non-Royals)
SHOWTIME 05:38 PM 09-29-2024

Who's winning it this year?

This is a thread for non-Royal playoff games since I assume there will be a separate one for the Royals…
[Reply]
tk13 07:33 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Pablo:
It’s amazing how much more of a shit I give about these other games now that the royals don’t suck

Padres look like Dodgers killers to me
They're not far off from having four series that all have a rivalry angle to them. Padres and Dodgers would be World War III. Mets and Phillies is obvious. Cleveland and Detroit are division rivals plus the Ohio/Michigan thing... and the Yankees and Royals have all this history they can play up during that series.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:01 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
I don't know if you followed them late in the season, but some of their relief arms are long guys that are technically starters, but enter the game in relief.

Brant Hurter, who pitched today in relief, pitched 5 2/3 no-hit innings against Baltimore late in the season. He's a lefty with a funky delivery.

Ty Madden is another long relief arm they use in 5-inning stints.

They've even shown a willingness to use relief ace Beau Brieske in three-inning stints at times.

I think their pitching staff is very 2020 Tampa Bay Rays-esque. A lot of interesting arms. Scott Harris hasn't really gotten the love yet, but I think he's one of the best GMs in baseball.
I've listened to some interviews with Harris - he's a bright dude.

And regarding the parallels to the Rays - sooner or later that just doesn't work. You can win a LOT of regular season games doing it. The Rays certainly have. But the more often you go to your 'pen, the more likely you are to eventually find a guy to lose it for you. And in the post-season when pitching is paramount and run scoring can be difficult, one bad inning can unravel the whole thing.
[Reply]
Coach 08:06 PM Yesterday
Tie ball game in Milwaukee.
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 08:09 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by tk13:
They're not far off from having four series that all have a rivalry angle to them. Padres and Dodgers would be World War III. Mets and Phillies is obvious. Cleveland and Detroit are division rivals plus the Ohio/Michigan thing... and the Yankees and Royals have all this history they can play up during that series.
A LOT of good storylines there with what could be the remaining series, and hopefully some compelling, competitive games to boot.
[Reply]
MVChiefs 08:10 PM Yesterday
Churiooo! I like this Brewers team.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 08:14 PM Yesterday
Holy shit! Brew Crew!
[Reply]
tk13 08:14 PM Yesterday
Wow. That turned quick. Brew Crew bombing it.
[Reply]
TheGreatCassholio 08:15 PM Yesterday
I forgot how much fun playoff baseball is. Nice to be a part of this again.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:37 PM Yesterday
Andruw Jones looks like he ate Andrew Jones
[Reply]
Ocotillo 08:44 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I've listened to some interviews with Harris - he's a bright dude.

And regarding the parallels to the Rays - sooner or later that just doesn't work. You can win a LOT of regular season games doing it. The Rays certainly have. But the more often you go to your 'pen, the more likely you are to eventually find a guy to lose it for you. And in the post-season when pitching is paramount and run scoring can be difficult, one bad inning can unravel the whole thing.
I agree that having horses like the Phillies is the way to go.

But I do think the Tigers can get to the ALCS. Cleveland is in the same situation, heavily dependent on its bullpen and thin starting pitching. This isn't the Cleveland rotation we've grown to known. Tanner Bibee is starting Game 1 and likely Matthew Boyd in Game 2.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 08:56 PM Yesterday
Hmmm 3/4 teams in the divisional round are from the Central. Maybe the Central isn't overrepresented after all, like our resident blue jay fan thinks. Fuck all the bird teams.
[Reply]
Coach 09:31 PM Yesterday
Padres and Dodgers is now a reality. Should be a doozy.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:36 PM Yesterday
Dodgers will choke away another championship.

Can't wait!
[Reply]
Why Not? 10:13 PM Yesterday
Don't care, got ROYALS!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 06:08 AM Today
Royals for the win!
[Reply]
Page 9 of 9
« First < 56789
Up